SC will not play UCONN

Dawn is nowhere near scared… everyone knows UConn isn’t full strength and it’s not going to do her team any favors to play them… however they want to “ensure” they win a championship of some sort this season
Yeah it's sounding more like Dawn is reacting to us beating Georgia unexpectedly.
If anything, this benefits Geno more than Dawn (unless he loses to DePaul). Hypothetically, if we needed to make up an SEC game, the UConn spot on Feb 6th would make the most sense if a conference championship were on the line.

Yeah it's sounding more like Dawn is reacting to us beating Georgia unexpectedly.
If anything, this benefits Geno more than Dawn (unless he loses to DePaul). Hypothetically, if we needed to make up an SEC game, the UConn spot on Feb 6th would make the most sense if a conference championship were on the line.

Correct; and I’m sure this decision was made before today’s game anyway(travel arrangements). Playing a depleted UConn won’t help them win a title but playing a rising Ole Miss team will at least help them(in their eyes) accomplish their first goal of a regular season title. Then conference tourney. Then national. BUT she knows the LV’s stand in her way for all of it

The way I see it, Dawn sacrificed a likely win against a non-conference opponent in hopes of getting her team the experience of playing an SEC opponent that could play big in the very important SEC Tournament that looms large for everyone.

CT avoids an embarrassing, potentially further deflating loss. The CT fans mustbe over the moon with happiness right now!

On the other hand, I feel like this development is yet another instance of the stars aligning for Tennessee. I'll explain.

Just today, as I was looking at the games coming up, I found myself thinking how I wished we'd be playing CT before SC, because I felt like their team would benefit greatly, for our game, by playing that high quality an opponent in the run-up. Even in a loss, CT would have gotten some invaluable growth experience. Now? They're not likely to have as strong a "practice" opponent to get ready for what is THE most important game of their season.

And they can try and pretend all day every day until THE day it happens that the Tennessee game is just another game and it's not important to them one way or another, but ...

We ALL know that's a load of bull.

I don't know what will happen on Feb. 8. They could very well win. Tennessee could win. But what I DO know for sure is that both teams will want to win in the worst way, and that Tennessee will be entering the contest more battle tested. Whether they make the most of that advantage remains to be seen, but a big part of me feels like the Lady Vols' run-up experiences will have to help at least a little toward neutralizing the home-court advantage CT will have.

Why would Dawn be scared of a shorthanded team that she has already beaten at full strength. Make it make sense. 😂
How about this to make sense: Staley will receive $15,000 for winning 11 or more SEC games, $100,000 for winning the SEC regular-season

She's concerned about losing the title to a team who has played more games and has a higher win percentage.

Who cares. Let them shuffle the deck to try to help themselves. All Tennessee can do is step up and put Ls on them, and let the rest be what it is. Win games. Win #1 seed (or good seeding, whatever). Win in March -- and April. That's all that matters.

To me I think this helps us with UCONN at least.

I think they would have gained a lot of experience playing SC. Now they really don’t have an opponent that they will face to prepare comparably for us.

As for the SC thing, I think it’s fair what they did tbh.

We just got to try and beat them head to head.

This affect us I didn’t want them to makeup that cancelled ole miss game now we really have to beat South Carolina if we want the SEC
Some but not all we could lose the SC game and still be conference champions if we win the rest of the SEC games or if they lose again. They still have to win at Ole Miss last game of the season and a couple more road games we still have a lot of games we have to win. Regardless of what happens in that game at SC we win all the rest were conference champions even if we have to share it. We'll show up to play were not going to cancel that game or make an excuse. We all know that beating them at home is very hard. We can beat them in Knoxville they know that and we've done it maybe we win there but it will be very tough to pull off they have the best homecourt advantage in women's basketball right now.

Meaningful nationally? Do you think the rest of the nation wants to tune in Thursday and watch SC vs Ole Miss or SC vs Connecticut?

Meaningful? Only if you're an advertising executive for a TV network.

How about this to make sense: Staley will receive $15,000 for winning 11 or more SEC games, $100,000 for winning the SEC regular-season. ...

Lest anyone interpret that as greediness on Staley's part... the contract was incentivized that way because it reflects the goals of both parties. A championship is a championship, and a banner is something that can be seen for the rest of a player's life. We of all fans ought to understand the continuing importance of hanging a banner, rather than having a +20 win season and no banner.

I would even say that ethically, Staley owes it to her players to do all she can to give them their best shot at a conference championship.

As fans, our perception is always as an outsider. The game is better cared for with less influence from fans' desire for instant gratification, and television advertising.

Last edited:
Although we'd like to play UConn at home there's little to be gained. Our Lady G's have already soundly defeated them when they weren't short handed. Playing an SEC make up game so we aren't handicapped by playing fewer games is the right thing to do. It would be great to win the SEC regular season but isn't it more prestigious to win the SEC tournament?

Last edited:
Although we'd like to play UConn at home there's little to be gained. Our Lady G's have already soundly defeated them when they weren't short handed. Playing an SEC make up game so we aren't handicapped by playing fewer games is the right thing to do. It would be great to win the SEC regular season but isn't it more prestigious to win the tournament?
Much more prestigious to win the NCAA Tournament.

How about this to make sense: Staley will receive $15,000 for winning 11 or more SEC games, $100,000 for winning the SEC regular-season

She's concerned about losing the title to a team who has played more games and has a higher win percentage.
Unlike Uconn, SC plays in a competitive conference. A conference championship is the goal of every SEC team entering the season, unlike the Big Easy where everyone chalks up Uconn as the winner before the season even starts.

CDS isn’t doing this for money, or to avoid a weakened husky team. She is doing it for all the right reasons, to give her team every possible chance to win their conference, which might also play into tournament seedings. Uconn has no experience with such decisions, having won something like 600 straight games in the JV conferences where they have resided.

You should feel good about this, you didn’t need another beat down. Now go back to beating up on the Seton Hall and SJ’s of the world and just give it a rest huskyinSC. Yes, we know who you are over “there”.

Last edited:
Much more prestigious to win the NCAA Tournament.
As you know, number one seeds for the NCAA can be in the balance based upon Conference championships. But you already knew that. If UT loses a conference game due to covid before the Uconn game, do they keep the Uconn game even if it hurts their chances at a conference title?

Last edited:
As you know, number one seeds for the NCAA can be in the balance based upon Conference championships. But you already knew that. If UT loses a conference game due to covid before the Uconn game, do they keep the Uconn game even if it hurts their chances at a conference title?
We could take a covid on the SC game win the rest of our SEC games and still play the UConn game and come out ok. I have no problem with SC not playing that game except I like to see UConn get beatdowns and now I won't get to see it.

We could take a covid on the SC game win the rest of our SEC games and still play the UConn game and come out ok. I have no problem with SC not playing that game except I like to see UConn get beatdowns and now I won't get to see it.
Except you know KH wants to play SC this year….gonna be an epic game.

[...] It would be great to win the SEC regular season but isn't it more prestigious to win the SEC tournament?

I'm probably in a minority here, but I think regular season championships are the most prestigious. You can win a tournament by getting on a hot shooting streak, facing an injured team, or just the old "paper covers rock" type of fortunate matchup--all without being the "best" team.

Over a regular season, you have to have dealt with your own injuries and setbacks, have gotten production from your bench, and have successfully faced all types of teams under all sorts of conditions, both home and away. You've had to maintain focus over a long period of time, while handling the different classroom demands of two semesters.

It takes more, and more from a total team, to find success over a regular season. There are no shortcuts getting a team from November to March.

But if "prestigious" only means having more eyes nationwide watching, or more hoopla (pun intended) and media buzz concentrated into a shorter window of time... sure.

But that's allowing success to be measured by the sponsors, not by the participants who worked, competed, and achieved.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I think regular season championships are the most prestigious. You can win a tournament by getting on a hot shooting streak, facing an injured team, or just the old "paper covers rock" type of fortunate matchup--all without being the "best" team.

Over a regular season, you have to have dealt with your own injuries and setbacks, have gotten production from your bench, and have successfully faced all types of teams under all sorts of conditions, and both home and away. You've had to maintain focus over a long period of time, while handling the different classroom demands of two semesters.

It takes more, and more from a total team, to find success over a regular season. There are no shortcuts getting a team from November to March.

But if "prestigious" only means having more eyes nationwide watching, or more hoopla (pun intended) and media buzz concentrated into a shorter window of time... sure.

But that's allowing success to be measured by the sponsors, not by the participants who worked, competed, and achieved.
I really didn't know they were talking about the SEC tourney. That is nothing more than a hyped up money making affair that the SEC got up to fill their pockets with a few more coins. To me the regular season Championship is far more prestigious and the one I would want to win the most. I like that we have an SEC Tourney but it is not the same to me as the regular season which is a venture that really proves a team over a long period of games and time.

Last edited:
Lucky for UConn....They can find some high school team to put in the SC game time slot....Then ESPN can say how they dominated...

I understand the reason SC wanted out of the game, but a lot of people were waiting for UConn to get their ass handed to them by South Carolina, now they can just skate on by...
www.smosh_.com-lucky-people-pedesrians.gif

VN Store

Back