Sad news for Lopez

I doubt he will ever play college ball again. I don't think he'll get an overseas deal after that injury. Therefore its over.

@Ben_Fred: Tyndall on @SportsAnimal99: Lopez will rehab and, if he can, play the following season. If not he can join #Vols staff as GA.

Reactions: 1 person
Lopez was competing for a starting role. Chiles was out and he ran point a lot. The bto/sd thing is idiotic but Lopez was sitting right there with an opportunity to start, whether you guys like it or believe it.

I am with you on this. I learned long ago to not make projections about who would play or not. Especially during a coaching change.

I am with you on this. I learned long ago to not make projections about who would play or not. Especially during a coaching change.

It was definitely his best chance out of all the years he's been on the team. I just didn't see him beating out Chiles, Punter, or possibly Mostella. I very well could have been wrong though. Kinda sucks we won't get to find out, but it's hard to give a 4 year walk-on the benefit of the doubt IMO.

It was definitely his best chance out of all the years he's been on the team. I just didn't see him beating out Chiles, Punter, or possibly Mostella. I very well could have been wrong though. Kinda sucks we won't get to find out, but it's hard to give a 4 year walk-on the benefit of the doubt IMO.

Not giving him the benefit of the doubt as such. Just was always open to the possibility he might play. (As I am with every player in every year). Throw in only 4 returning scholarship players and only 1 other natural PG and it wouldn't have shocked me to see him play a bigger role this year than many expected. It also wouldn't have surprised me to watch him not play except for blow outs. That's my point really, with a new coaching staff and so many new players no one on this board can definitively say where Lopez was going to fit into Tyndall's plans.

Pretty much how I see it.

22 yr olds also know the game better than when they were teenagers. People assume things based on mop up minutes buying time for the pg and cold off the bench. He wasn't fighting for a spot because he was a bad player.

22 yr olds also know the game better than when they were teenagers. People assume things based on mop up minutes buying time for the pg and cold off the bench. He wasn't fighting for a spot because he was a bad player.

I agree. I also wonder how much of it was Coach Martin. (I thought of expanding on that last sentence but I have decided it speaks for itself and will just leave it at that).

I stand corrected then. Didn't think another year in college would be a possibility.

All players get 5 years to play 4 (or more exactly 10 semesters to play 8) unless a waiver is granted for an additional year by the NCAA (thus making it 6 to play 4). It doesn't matter if the kid is on scholly or not. Many times a kid that walks on and has graduated will chose to just move on with the next phase of his life rather than rehabbing just to come back to college for another year of paying his own way to sit the bench.

It will be interesting to see if Lopez makes it back as a player.

I agree. I also wonder how much of it was Coach Martin. (I thought of expanding on that last sentence but I have decided it speaks for itself and will just leave it at that).

I don't know why he would've fallen out of favor though. It's not as if Martin asked/allowed his pg's to do much.
As far as ballhandling and having decent vision, CDT's system was set up for a kid like Lopez that can play a little ball. Plus, he wouldn't have been as big of a liability trying to play shut down man against next year's draft picks because of the change in D.
Moore, Reese and Lopez have all been fired up with the new opportunities and system.

I don't know why he would've fallen out of favor though. It's not as if Martin asked/allowed his pg's to do much.
As far as ballhandling and having decent vision, CDT's system was set up for a kid like Lopez that can play a little ball. Plus, he wouldn't have been as big of a liability trying to play shut down man against next year's draft picks because of the change in D.
Moore, Reese and Lopez have all been fired up with the new opportunities and system.

I really look for Moore to excel in Tyndall's defensive scheme.

I really look for Moore to excel in Tyndall's defensive scheme.

We wouldn't have gone thru that patch of low energy standing around stuff last year if Moore had played more. Shockingly, he gets off the bench and is a big piece of the team attacking and winning. Moore attacks. He attacks the rim, attacks rebounds, attacks on the defensive end. It's infectious and he should have a good time now. He's going to make mistakes or bad turnovers. But the + usually far outweighs a mistake or two.

"he will rehab like you would expect," tyndall said. "and if the knee recovers then he will come back and play next year. If not, at some point in time, i will probably add him to my staff as a graduate assistant and get his career started in that regard."

-gvx

All players get 5 years to play 4 (or more exactly 10 semesters to play 8) unless a waiver is granted for an additional year by the NCAA (thus making it 6 to play 4). It doesn't matter if the kid is on scholly or not. Many times a kid that walks on and has graduated will chose to just move on with the next phase of his life rather than rehabbing just to come back to college for another year of paying his own way to sit the bench.

It will be interesting to see if Lopez makes it back as a player.

Yeah, I know what the rules are re: eligibility. I just didn't think a kid paying his own way would stay an extra year to walk on. Didn't seem like it made a lot of financial sense for Lopez, and I just assumed that both parties would mutually part ways. Maybe he is pursuing a master's degree.

VN Store

Back