Saban no longer talking NIL

I think we are just plain fortunate to have someone like Bill willing to let us know just how wrong we are and how right he is. A humble man, simply seeking to share his incredible insight and awesomeness with the lowly masses of great unwashed.

A49281E6-7283-44EB-B2FC-A05F3A2614DE.jpeg

Reactions: LoudOrange
I think those who took time to read the entire article would agree the thread title is a tad misleading.

Saban addressed NIL and basically said it’s here to stay.

He’s already made it known his best players can command 7-figure NIL deals.

Now his messaging is to recruits who may not command big NIL deals, but long term could still wind up making big bucks at the next level, even if you’re only a one-year starter like Mac Jones.

Hate the man all you want, but he uses the media to his advantage better than most, if not all.

Fair points. However, I took from it that he has disdain for the collectives, which is just delicious irony given the Gump recruiting machine that comprises the State of Alabubba. He seems to be bemoaning the fact that sort of thing is now open and pervasive. He has lost an advantage, and as you point out, he is playing the last card he has.

The media fears the diminutive lil feller, and I can’t understand why. But yes, they do allow him great latitude to use them for messaging and image building.

I think we are just plain fortunate to have someone like Bill willing to let us know just how wrong we are and how right he is. A humble man, simply seeking to share his incredible insight and awesomeness with the lowly masses of great unwashed.

View attachment 449051
Love how easy I can trigger you. Not even trying to, but you’re schpiel is always basically the same

Love how easy I can trigger you. Not even trying to, but you’re schpiel is always basically the same

And how easily you can be triggered. It is a lot of fun, I agree. The cycle. Your arrogant condescension, my retorting sarcasm. Match made in heaven.

While the thread title was a bit off, the takeaway from the article for me was Saban's discomfort with collectives, and his trying to promote individual to individual NIL deals. I pointed out the irony that Bama recruiting has (allegedly....lol) relied on de facto collectives for years. Now that collectives are de jure, Saban is pushing back a little, and spinning with the media.

And it wasn't so much calling it out as the fact that the 'caller' used his typical snarky arrogant manner of doing so. You can call out an error without being an %$#.

While the thread title was a bit off, the takeaway from the article for me was Saban's discomfort with collectives, and his trying to promote individual to individual NIL deals. I pointed out the irony that Bama recruiting has (allegedly....lol) relied on de facto collectives for years. Now that collectives are de jure, Saban is pushing back a little, and spinning with the media.

And it wasn't so much calling it out as the fact that the 'caller' used his typical snarky arrogant manner of doing so. You can call out an error without being an %$#.

OP is free to own his error also.

You can heed your own advice, or enjoy the banter. Your call

this was my 2nd similar run in with this clown and my last.

The article was about how "Someone" happen to give Saban (someone was told by Saban to total it up) a list of players and their signing bonuses, etc since 2007. Last year, he bragged about how his QB got "1 million dollars" but now its how much money you can make from the NFL if you are developed here at alabama. Saban isnt talking about his players NIL deals this year.

The eye opening thing to me is Saban has more national championships than all active NCAA coaches combined. No program can compete with that stat yet that isnt really the issue anymore. Its all about the $. Its always about the money.

The article was about how "Someone" happen to give Saban (someone was told by Saban to total it up) a list of players and their signing bonuses, etc since 2007. Last year, he bragged about how his QB got "1 million dollars" but now its how much money you can make from the NFL if you are developed here at alabama. Saban isnt talking about his players NIL deals this year.

The eye opening thing to me is Saban has more national championships than all active NCAA coaches combined. No program can compete with that stat yet that isnt really the issue anymore. Its all about the $. Its always about the money.
It’s everything Combined. They’re still selling getting NIL deals, they’re still selling their winning ways and championships, and they’re selling how successful their program is and can be for young players that stick it out behind the players in front of them NFL wise. You failing to see the big picture here is laughable to an extent, but also somewhat cringeworthy.

And fear not, the way you post, this won’t be your last run in with me.

Reactions: bamawriter

The article you linked dedicates 5 paragraphs to Saban talking about NIL. I'm not sure why you continue to say otherwise.

It’s everything Combined. They’re still selling getting NIL deals, they’re still selling their winning ways and championships, and they’re selling how successful their program is and can be for young players that stick it out behind the players in front of them NFL wise. You failing to see the big picture here is laughable to an extent, but also somewhat cringeworthy.

And fear not, the way you post, this won’t be your last run in with me.

I don't know if the OP's issue is reading comprehension, outright dishonesty, or a bit of both. Either way it's fascinating to watch someone repeatedly argue that an article doesn't say something that it quite clearly does.

Last edited:
I'm don't know if the OP's issue is reading comprehension, outright dishonesty, or a bit of both. Either way it's fascinating to watch someone repeatedly argue that an article doesn't say something that it quite clearly does.
I think it’s just people wanting to find fault with the most successful coach of our generation and arguably ever, because he coaches for mine and several other old school Tennessee fans’ most hated rival. The board continually bashes UGA and what’s going on there despite their successes too. Fans are fanatical. Fans on message boards are beyond nuts.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I think it’s just people wanting to find fault with the most successful coach of our generation and arguably ever, because he coaches for mine and several other old school Tennessee fans’ most hated rival. The board continually bashes UGA and what’s going on there despite their successes too. Fans are fanatical. Fans on message boards are beyond nuts.
The stretches/arguments people make to minimize what he's done are fascinating to me. In the media I think it is mostly hot take artists doing it who don't truly believe it, but a ton of others do it as well. My personal favorite is "I'm not all that impressed by him because he never plays a game where his team is less talented than his opponent."

The very first time I heard that one a buddy of mine, an Auburn fan, said it. I thought he was being facetious and laughed, but he kept making the point and was dead serious.

You can heed your own advice, or enjoy the banter. Your call

I believe my advice was to call out an error without being an $%%. I didn't call out anyone's error. That's all you, sport.

And who is minimizing Saban's success? He managed to tie together significant portions of the alumni and business community in Bammer into a recruiting collective long before they were allowed under NCAA rules. That led to a string of dominating classes and a string of championships. I just find it hilariously ironic that now he is concerned about collectives and seeming in favor of 1-1 NIL deals, per the article. He is a complete hypocrite in this area.

Tennessee fans bashing another school or coach never really bothers me, even if I don't share their views. It really seems to trouble you. Could be you have some control issues to work on? Good luck!

I believe my advice was to call out an error without being an $%%. I didn't call out anyone's error. That's all you, sport.

And who is minimizing Saban's success? He managed to tie together significant portions of the alumni and business community in Bammer into a recruiting collective long before they were allowed under NCAA rules. That led to a string of dominating classes and a string of championships. I just find it hilariously ironic that now he is concerned about collectives and seeming in favor of 1-1 NIL deals, per the article. He is a complete hypocrite in this area.

Tennessee fans bashing another school or coach never really bothers me, even if I don't share their views. It really seems to trouble you. Could be you have some control issues to work on? Good luck!
It’s called a message board. You discuss topics. That’s what I’m doing. How you find me doing that as having “control issues” is quite literally fascinating.

It’s called a message board. You discuss topics. That’s what I’m doing. How you find me doing that as having “control issues” is quite literally fascinating.
I take this back. It just further illustrates how much people don’t want to read.

VN Store

Back