RIP Roger, long time Vol fan and caller

The gofundme is over $13 G. I hope they get him an orange coffin with a huge Power T.
Only took 3 hours for vol fans to exceed the gofundme target goal which guess shouldnā€™t be surprising because thatā€™s what vol fans do.
Roger gave a lot more to this world than what he was given. Glad volnation has the opportunity to show some appreciation with this fund.

Iā€™d definitely remove the Cattleman (SM) and add TR. TR can be ornery, but you got to love that Vol passion. Bill is a character as well. Small Mike is abrasive and small minded. Heā€™s actually banned from all of the Knoxville stations.

Love when TR calls and if they play a song he will say ā€œ leeeeet it breathe man, let it breatheā€¦ā€

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Basilio is a good man and met him a few times along the way. He had a lot of fun with Roger on his show, really made Rogerā€™s calls entertaining and did a great job of giving Roger the floor and integrating him into the show. Was busy earlier so I had to listen to his show later in the day on the app. Wow. Just a lot of people, many who never met Roger, really affected by his passing. Callers will talk about Roger for years to come as long as Basilio is doing his thing.

Last edited:
Basilio is a good man and met him a few times along the way. He had a lot of fun with Roger on his show, really made Rogerā€™s calls entertaining and did a great job of giving Roger the floor and integrating him into the show. Was busy earlier so I had to listen to his show later in the day on the app. Wow. Just a lot of people, many who never met Roger, really affected by his passing. Callers will talk about Roger for years to come as long as Basilio is doing his thing.

I loved it when Basilio tried to mess with him, stuff like "Roger, I heard you and Beano have a little heat between you. What did he do to make you so mad?" and Roger would just laugh it off, state there was nothing between him and whoever, and tell Tony to stop trying to get people mad at each other. A pure heart. Really wish I could have met him in person.

Iā€™d definitely remove the Cattleman (SM) and add TR. TR can be ornery, but you got to love that Vol passion. Bill is a character as well. Small Mike is abrasive and small minded. Heā€™s actually banned from all of the Knoxville stations.
That's because they like a little bit of truth, but not too much.

Steve is another good one. He calls the Sports Animal. I'd like to have watched a TN football game with him and Roger..... and Brent Hubbs. They wore Brent out over recruiting šŸ¤£. That would have been awesome.

Hey fellas.
Ha ha ha.
Well ok

Yes! I love it when Steve calls. I can predict almost exactly what he is going to say and when he is going to say it lol.

My cousin who is a friend of Basilio said diabetic coma.šŸ˜¢

Dang, that is so sad. I heard him call into John and Jimmy's show just last week. I always admired how the hosts always were patient with him, and always understood exactly what he was saying. He loved his Vols and I am glad that he got to see a great football season before God called him home.

Basilio's show is full of caller characters:

Dubyer Lynn
Joshy Boy
Titans Bill
Polish Joe
Philly
Florida
Maggie
Refalytics Judd

But Roger was truly irreplaceable.
Roger was a sweet, innocent, kind soul. He loved Christ, people, and the Vols! He was pure and so kind. It hit me hard. May God Bless his family and long list of friends. He was a true VFL and wonderful person.

How does something like that happen? Did they not know he was diabetic?
I know that when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I felt totally fine, and had went to the doctor for something unrelated. I hadnā€™t had a physical in awhile, so they put me through the works. Doc lost his mind when he got my blood work back. He said that my unnoticed diabetes had caused a lot of issues throughout my organs that needed to be addressed immediately. Itā€™s possible that poor Roger never saw it coming.

Basilio's show is full of caller characters:

Dubyer Lynn
Joshy Boy
Titans Bill
Polish Joe
Philly
Florida
Maggie
Refalytics Judd

But Roger was truly irreplaceable.

Dont foreget Mark in Columba! :)

Also another character that used to call in that we lost not long ago was "The Brady" (or was it V-Brady?) He passed on a little while back too.

Roger was definitely a special guy! Tony always gave him the last call of the day, which I kind of liked because it was a nice little indicator that the show was about to end. Plus it was cool that Tony always gave him the "last word" of the day so to speak.

Last edited:
Tony Basilio and John Adams just gave the first 20 minutes of today's show up in honor of Roger. Listening to that, it is amazing how much Roger touched people. You should go back and hear the podcast if you didn't hear it live.

However, they mentioned that John Adams wrote about Roger in a column. But I went to the Snooze Sentinel and can't find it (maybe it hasn't been published yet). If anybody has a link, please post it. Tony also mentioned that Channel 8 did a piece on Roger.

Edit: Here's a link to Channel 8's piece on Roger: Longtime Knoxville sports talk show caller Roger Davis remembered

Tony Basilio and John Adams just gave the first 20 minutes of today's show up in honor of Roger. Listening to that, it is amazing how much Roger touched people. You should go back and hear the podcast if you didn't hear it live.

However, they mentioned that John Adams wrote about Roger in a column. But I went to the Snooze Sentinel and can't find it (maybe it hasn't been published yet). If anybody has a link, please post it. Tony also mentioned that Channel 8 did a piece on Roger.

Edit: Here's a link to Channel 8's piece on Roger: Longtime Knoxville sports talk show caller Roger Davis remembered
Tony Basilio and his ā€œdysfunctional radio familyā€ showed so much love and admiration for Roger. They celebrated his birthdays and treated him like royalty (deservedly so) at their events over the years. Roger exemplified being a true, loyal VFL and will be dearly missed.

VN Store

Back