Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

So serious question. Is there anyone that thinks Heupel is even entertaining the idea of going to OU?
There's a troll here who flames me when I mention it but yes I believe Heupel is absolutely open to taking the job if offered. He was a an All American quarterback there. He was a top Heisman candidate. He lead them to a National championship. It is a place where a coach can be successful at the highest level so whoever takes the job may be there for a very long time. Meaning his chance of going home may not come around again for a while if ever. The fact that he was fired as an assistant doesn't mean a thing. It may even provide extra incentive.

He is obviously not the top candidate right now and likely won't be offered the job. But I believe he is in the top 5-6 on the AD's list. It's not a stretch to believe he could be offered before the search is over. He didn't say anything at that presser a couple of days ago that indicated he would stay at UT and turn down OK. It was pure coach speak and he handled it exactly the way he should have. It would be dumb as **** to come out and say I'm staying here and have no interest in coaching the Sooners. I believe him when he said he and his family love it here but that doesn't mean he doesn't love Norman too.

I couldn't be more pleased with what CJH has been able to do here in his first year and the program is looking up for the first time in over a decade. I hope he's here for a long long time.

Flame away troll.

wwe-what.gif
wp-content-1.gif

There's a troll here who flames me when I mention it but yes I believe Heupel is absolutely open to taking the job if offered. He was a an All American quarterback there. He was a top Heisman candidate. He lead them to a National championship. It is a place where a coach can be successful at the highest level so whoever takes the job may be there for a very long time. Meaning his chance of going home may not come around again for a while if ever. The fact that he was fired as an assistant doesn't mean a thing. It may even provide extra incentive.

He is obviously not the top candidate right now and likely won't be offered the job. But I believe he is in the top 5-6 on the AD's list. It's not a stretch to believe he could be offered before the search is over. He didn't say anything at that presser a couple of days ago that indicated he would stay at UT and turn down OK. It was pure coach speak and he handled it exactly the way he should have. It would be dumb as **** to come out and say I'm staying here and have no interest in coaching the Sooners. I believe him when he said he and his family love it here but that doesn't mean he doesn't love Norman too.

I couldn't be more pleased with what CJH has been able to do here in his first year and the program is looking up for the first time in over a decade. I hope he's here for a long long time.

Flame away troll.
I'm not the troll you mentioned (at least, I don't think I am), but I believe you have misread Josh Heupel's relationship with the University of Oklahoma.

And the key is the word I highlighted in your response: home.

Oklahoma is not home for Josh Heupel. (1) He grew up in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Don't know who he rooted for as a kid growing up, but it wasn't the Sooners. Maybe the Jackrabbits (SD State) or the Coyotes (U of SD). Probably, though, he more closely followed the pros, Green Bay or the Vikings. (2) Oklahoma was not his first choice when it was time to go off to university. He was recruited primarily by Wisconsin, Minnesota, and some smaller programs like Houston and Wyoming. (3) He didn't get to Norman, OK, until two transfers and two years later. Played as a freshman at Weber State University in Utah, then after he suffered an ACL injury and subsequently lost the starting job, as a sophomore at a JUCO in the same state (Snow College). He was a travel- and transfer-experienced junior when he finally arrived in OU. (4) He'd matured a lot, gained that adult's outer shell, by the time he got to Norman. If you've moved several times in adult life, you know what I'm talking about: the first time you leave home, the new place you end up seems to be important to your life, defining you in a way. And the emotional attachments soon follow. But with each subsequent move, that emotional/destiny bit lessens, until you just hang your hat anywhere you happen to be. Josh was well down that road by the time he was offered a starting position by new coach Bob Stoops. It was a business move.

In short, Oklahoma isn't home for him. Not in any sense of the word. It is a place I'm sure he has fond memories of, including a national championship season as their QB. But it is not home. The emotional strings are far weaker than for, say, Phillip Fulmer, Scott Frost, Mike Gundy, Pat Fitzgerald, or James Franklin.

I'm not saying Josh Heupel will never in his life end up back at Oklahoma. Anything can happen. But he's not being pulled there by his heartstrings. It would be a purely business decision. And when it comes to business decisions, we have an AD who can fend off the wolves with the best of them (for evidence, see recent basketball and baseball coaching carousels).

Go Vols!

I'm not the troll you mentioned (at least, I don't think I am), but I believe you have misread Josh Heupel's relationship with the University of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is not home for Josh Heupel. (1) He grew up in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Don't know who he rooted for as a kid growing up, but it wasn't the Sooners. Maybe the Jackrabbits (SD State) or the Coyotes (U of SD). Probably, though, he more closely followed the pros, Green Bay or the Vikings. (2) Oklahoma was not his first choice when it was time to go off to university. He was recruited primarily by Wisconsin, Minnesota, and some smaller programs like Houston and Wyoming. (3) He didn't get to Norman, OK, until two transfers and two years later. Played as a freshman at Weber State University in Utah, then after he suffered an ACL injury and subsequently lost the starting job, as a sophomore at a JUCO in the same state (Snow College). He was a travel- and transfer-experienced junior when he finally arrived in OU. (4) He'd matured a lot, gained that adult's outer shell, by the time he got to Norman. If you've moved several times in adult life, you know what I'm talking about: the first time you leave home, the new place you end up seems to be important to your life, defining you in a way. And the emotional attachments soon follow. But with each subsequent move, that emotional/destiny bit lessens, until you just hang your hat anywhere you happen to be. Josh was well down that road by the time he was offered a starting position by new coach Bob Stoops. It was a business move.

In short, Oklahoma isn't home for him. Not in any sense of the word. It is a place I'm sure he has fond memories of, including a national championship season as their QB. But it is not home. The emotional strings are far weaker than for, say, Phillip Fulmer, Scott Frost, Mike Gundy, Pat Fitzgerald, or James Franklin.

I'm not saying Josh Heupel will never in his life end up back at Oklahoma. Anything can happen. But he's not being pulled there by his heartstrings. It would be a purely business decision. And when it comes to business decisions, we have an AD who can fend off the wolves with the best of them (for evidence, see recent basketball and baseball coaching carousels).

Go Vols!
I was using the term home metaphorically. I once read a bio of Bear Bryant. When he left Texas A&M for Alabama he said something like when mama called me home I knew I had to go. Bryant was from Arkansas.

Not only playing ties coaching with stoops as well I mean stoops interim let’s not kid ourselves. Just saying. I remember when we brought Majors home .

I was using the term home metaphorically. I once read a bio of Bear Bryant. When he left Texas A&M for Alabama he said something like when mama called me home I knew I had to go. Bryant was from Arkansas.
True but he played at Alabama and loved that school and its program and once he was there he never considered taking another job.

That's weird because Bobby Bowden turned down Alabama, I would find it hard to believe that FSU never approached Mack Brown about coaching there at any point in his pretty successful career. It's far from certain that Dabo Swinney would leave Clemson for Alabama.

Go Vols!
Mike Leach as Okla’s OC sold Heupel on coming to OU…Read about it in “Swing Your Sword”FF3666BF-83C2-4675-9DE1-EE62EC1AE85A.jpeg

I think CJH would leave if offered. His only obstacle would be the buyout, and if OK is willing to pay, then more power to it. Beyond the school being his alma mater, OK has had more success than the Vols more recently. It's easier to recruit and is frankly a better job.

I think CJH would leave if offered. His only obstacle would be the buyout, and if OK is willing to pay, then more power to it. Beyond the school being his alma mater, OK has had more success than the Vols more recently. It's easier to recruit and is frankly a better job.

Perhaps, but I think Oklahoma wants a bigger name than a first year 7-5 coach.

Huepel did amazing things this year, not discounting him at all. But he’s still largely unproven. Considering that Oklahoma was in playoff consideration this year, they are certainly going to shoot for several big names.

I think they’d have to have a lot of rejections before they’d look at Huepel. Even then, he’d have to be willing to let go of the bad blood that happened when they fired him and used him as a scapegoat.

I’m not saying it’s not possible. I’m just saying there are a lot of things that would need to happen for Huepel to become Oklahoma’s next coach

I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: volman128
Heupel will be nowhere around the OK program as long as Bob Stoops is pulling the strings. They had a very nasty breakup and Bob threw Heup under the bus in order to save his brother Mark. Heupel hasn't forgotten that and won't be part of that program for as long as Bob is so involved and that will be for as long as he's able to be involved.

One of the primary reasons Riley began looking to get out of Norman was Stoops' continuous presence at practices.

Whoever they get needs to be prepared to have Stoops looking over their shoulder and bemoaning their every failure on Fox.

Reactions: dduncan4163
JH is nowhere near ready to Coach a program like Oklahoma and he knows it himself. He would fail miserably at OU.

When the guy (Bob Stoops) is sitting in the room as the Oklahoma University leadership discusses what to do in response to Lincoln Riley's departure, and so is immediately available to be asked, "would you step in as temporary coach?" and immediately says, "sure, I'll do anything needed for this university"... well, I'm no Oklahoma insider, but that sure makes it sound like Stoops will have considerable say in the conversation about who Oklahoma's next head coach will be. Sounds like he's a full-fledged member of the board/council/whatever they call it there. That's what it sounds like to me.

OU boosters are somewhat upset at Stoops for the way Riley just up and left the program. Stoops will be interim, but he will have minimal say in who is hired. Stoops screwed the pooch after handpicking Riley. He may be consulted but he won’t have a heavy hand in picking the next coach.

Millions of dollars can also mend a lot of fence…

Cry more….

I don’t think you understand the definition of “crying” if you think that is what I am doing. I am sure you have been consulting with the OU boosters. What other information have you read on the internet and passed it off as “insider” information? I look forward to your insights

VN Store

Back