Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

One thing that starts to become ever more important is the fact that we took both Heupel and AD White from UCF.

I wasn't really a fan of taking them because at the time it seemed like we were just desperate and took the easiest package deal available. Or it seemed like White was being lazy, keeping it all in the family.

But that connection may very well swing things to staying in Tennessee, especially considering the tepid relationship Heupel has with Stoops.

Heupel hides it with his friendly, aw-shucks persona but IMHO he is uber competitive. I am certain getting fired did not go well. Stoops would probably be wise to look elsewhere if he plans to keep his hand in the OU football program over the long term.
And the same goes with Oklahoma. Even if Heupel was top 3 candidates. Remember how when James Franklin was at Vanderbilt and while he certainly proved was a pretty good coachbfor what he accomplished there. The sentiment to the power people at UT was we arent sure he would take the Tennessee job. How will it look if the Vandy coach turns down Tennessee. So the boosters who had him on the list bypassed him. Not same scenario but how bad would it look if Oklahoma actually offers Heupel and he says no its better here especially for less money. So the world will know a college town hero told his alma mater nope Ill keep making less at a project job as coming back to an established power job with deep connections. They wont go down that road unless all theri big time targets they whiff on and they are absolutely certain Heupel wont turn them down.

Heupels name is certainly out there this morning as a leading candidate - and I think we'd be foolish to believe it won't happen. We'd also be foolish to burn our mattresses in the streets again. I think it's likely. I also think Stoops leaves KY for another job this off season, he may feel he's hit his ceiling at KY which he kinda has.

You misspelled Kliff Kingsbury

Reactions: VAVol85
These people are just spitballing to see what sticks and nothing more. Shane Beamer would be ridiculously unproven hire if there ever was one, I don't even think SC would be that upset about it.

Reactions: Fightmaker
These people are just spitballing to see what sticks and nothing more. Shane Beamer would be ridiculously unproven hire if there ever was one, I don't even think SC would be that upset about it.

So no different than Riley? Wouldn’t surprise me

Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Who will be the next full-time Oklahoma coach?

• Brent Venables +400
  • Lane Kiffin +500
  • Mark Stoops +500
  • Matt Campbell +600
  • Luke Fickell +700
  • Jay Norvell +800
  • Bob Stoops +900
  • Josh Heupel +1000
  • Shane Beamer +1100
  • Mario Cristobal +1500
  • Dave Aranda +1500
  • Kliff Kingsbury +2000
Next Oklahoma football coach odds: Brent Venables, Lane Kiffin, Luke Fickell, Mark Stoops, Matt Campbell favorites to replace Lincoln Riley
Puts things in perspective - CJH is possible but way less likely than the usual suspects.

I think they would be lucky to get Venables but he may be happy as a DC. My money is on Kiffin and I wish him no success whatsoever.

The day Oklahoma joins the SEC, they will have the most talent-depleted recruiting base in the conference. Think about that for a second. So far they're one of the few blue bloods who have been able to continue to recruit nationally. How long will it last after they go 7-5, 9-4, 8-4, 6-6 in the SEC?

I don't think that job is as attractive as many believe.

I'm sure they'd love this in Norman

View attachment 415960
Beamer would be a real head scratcher to me. Stoops at Kentucky makes more sense.

I would give SB better odds at being at VT and following in his Father’s steps…. But in reality, I didn’t see either VT or OU having him at the top of their lists. With that being said, he did exceed my expectations (albeit low) this season at USCe…

Oklahoma doesn't hire "proven" guys. They've only hired one person who wasn't an assistant/coordinator in the last 70+ years and that was a disaster who only coached a year.

Best case scenario if you ask me. Keeps one of our SEC east opponents in turmoil.
Soon we should stop thinking of our traditional rivals as traditional rivals. We might end up seeing OU show up in Neyland as often as USCe. The new alignment will be interesting and that's an understatement.

Reactions: rocketskates

VN Store

Back