Rickea Jackson to Tennessee

What in that post has anything to do with UConn?
What negative thing did I say about the Lady Vols?
Did I not say you guys are a probable final four team next year.
It's just my belief that you are so loaded that you don't need Jackson.
And I'm concerned that her presence might hold up the development of Pissott.
And for that you make it some kind of cheap shot at the Lady Vol program.

Just read the darn post instead of looking for some nefarious code words that denigrate what is the intent of the poster.

And I also agree that the 2nd or 3rd stuff is a joke.

NeedOrange, you were not being a complete tool about R Jackson, but you were very close...They were veiled insults...The girl has talent, lots of talent...She will be a mentor for Justine, and I believe Justine will help her with her 3 ball shot...

In any event, I do enjoy your posts....
veiled_comment-synonyms-2.png

What in that post has anything to do with UConn?
What negative thing did I say about the Lady Vols?
Did I not say you guys are a probable final four team next year.
It's just my belief that you are so loaded that you don't need Jackson.
And I'm concerned that her presence might hold up the development of Pissott.
And for that you make it some kind of cheap shot at the Lady Vol program.

Just read the darn post instead of looking for some nefarious code words that denigrate what is the intent of the poster.

And I also agree that the 2nd or 3rd stuff is a joke.

Need, you actually suggested that the three-time leading scorer of the SEC be given a smaller role in her final collegiate season, her only season at Tennessee. You actually suggested her minutes should be given to an incoming freshman.

Seriously, you said that. 🤯

Last edited:
Need, you actually suggested that the three-time leading scorer of the SEC be given a smaller role in her final collegiate season, her only season at Tennessee. You actually suggested her minutes should be given to an incoming freshman.

I did and I understand what I said.

I don't have any way to prove it or find the stats, but I bet from 10 feet in Rickea is a 55 percent shooter or better. Same with Horston who took just to many ill advised shots and threes early in the season before she settled down into how she should really play. I wish we had Jackson and Horston tomorrow we'd be headed for the elite 8. Might be headed there anyway.

her mid-range game is why I wanted to see her here

Reactions: NoBackBoard
NeedOrange, you were not being a complete tool about R Jackson, but you were very close...They were veiled insults...The girl has talent, lots of talent...She will be a mentor for Justine, and I believe Justine will help her with her 3 ball shot...

I'm sorry I created some furor with my comment. Just say I'm not as high on Rickea as many, many are. I have concerns which can well be unjust. I just thought I could give my opinion with a couple of stats and there would be a discussion. I
think you guys are going to be loaded next year and I think that in March Justine will be a big part of the program success going forward.

There is nothing intentionally veiled in my comments. Here's a little background on what happens to a freshman when they are squeezed out. During the time Paige was injured, Caroline Ducharme was the high scorer for UConn 6 times. At DePaul with a last second shot for the win they ran a play with one option and that was for Caroline. Everyone is now back. Last game Caroline got 2 minutes. When they put her in now open 3's are clanked and layups don't fall for her. Looking at your team, 3 point shooting is very weak. And it is one reason that you don't see a lot of the offensive potential from Key. In my opinion, Justine is going to be the best option to prevent teams from packing in the middle and preventing Key and the midrange shooters from having freedom to move. I would hate to see Justine wither away on the bench while two predominant midrange scorers dominate the wing positions. I don't think Rickea is a bad player because her skill is obvious. Just do you need another Horston or should you build your team with more versatility.

I probably didn't state my thoughts as well as I could have, But I hope I can pass through the state of Tennessee without being shot.;)

I never thought I would see anything unite all of the Tennessee fans on this board until that post suggesting a probable lottery pick take a backseat.

Then they double down.

So what should I bring to the covered dish?

her mid-range game is why I wanted to see her here
@Coach Jumper , What is the biggest offensive weakness on the Lady Vols? 3 point shooting percentage is too low. So what do you need to do to make the team better. Make more 3 point shots. It's my opinion, and definitely a minority, that you play the better 3 point shooter at one of the wings. Your going to be loaded next year and, again in my opinion, Justine brings the versatility to expand the teams options more than another mid-range game.

@Coach Jumper , What is the biggest offensive weakness on the Lady Vols? 3 point shooting percentage is too low. So what do you need to do to make the team better. Make more 3 point shots. It's my opinion, and definitely a minority, that you play the better 3 point shooter at one of the wings. Your going to be loaded next year and, again in my opinion, Justine brings the versatility to expand the teams options more than another mid-range game.

I have not seen a player who mirrors Justine...She is impressive. Her range is the entrance door.

Our biggest offensive weakness,,,a moment...

We use our motion/weave to pass time instead of for a purpose

Reactions: NeedOrange
I have not seen a player who mirrors Justine...She is impressive. Her range is the entrance door.

Our biggest offensive weakness,,,a moment...

We use our motion/weave to pass time instead of for a purpose

Are we able to run an effective motion offense the way Creighton does? Not a rhetorical question.

Are we able to run an effective motion offense the way Creighton does? Not a rhetorical question.

But you have to do it in practice
you have to drill "plays within plays",,,make them as automatic as muscle memory and then set the recognition for these memory-muscle plays on different spots on the floor

aka read n react

I'm no professional basketball coach, but to my eye Tennessee currently runs a "going-through-the-motions" offense instead of a motion offense. It doesn't appear to have a useful purpose outside of giving the players an opportunity to run seconds off the clock while moving in a figure-8 pattern. As CoachJ said above, the motion offense has to be practiced, and Practiced, and PRACTICED AND PRACTICED, and with a clear understanding of what to look for while they are in motion. Just making a fun shape is not the purpose; getting someone open IS.

All that said, I suspect the staff made the decision that there isn't enough time in practices to spend on that offense to get everyone -- THIS YEAR, with so many fresh additions -- so many hours and hours and hours of repetitions that muscle-memory takes over. My hope is that next year more time can be spent teaching and practicing that offense.

I'm sorry I created some furor with my comment. Just say I'm not as high on Rickea as many, many are. I have concerns which can well be unjust. I just thought I could give my opinion with a couple of stats and there would be a discussion. I
think you guys are going to be loaded next year and I think that in March Justine will be a big part of the program success going forward.

There is nothing intentionally veiled in my comments. Here's a little background on what happens to a freshman when they are squeezed out. During the time Paige was injured, Caroline Ducharme was the high scorer for UConn 6 times. At DePaul with a last second shot for the win they ran a play with one option and that was for Caroline. Everyone is now back. Last game Caroline got 2 minutes. When they put her in now open 3's are clanked and layups don't fall for her. Looking at your team, 3 point shooting is very weak. And it is one reason that you don't see a lot of the offensive potential from Key. In my opinion, Justine is going to be the best option to prevent teams from packing in the middle and preventing Key and the midrange shooters from having freedom to move. I would hate to see Justine wither away on the bench while two predominant midrange scorers dominate the wing positions. I don't think Rickea is a bad player because her skill is obvious. Just do you need another Horston or should you build your team with more versatility.

I probably didn't state my thoughts as well as I could have, But I hope I can pass through the state of Tennessee without being shot.;)
Here’s one other thought:
With Jordy and Rikea both in the game. Who is your best defender going to be on? Will many teams be able to defend those two and Key and SP and JP and Tess shooting 3s at the same time?
Finally, Kellie has stated she is going to go fast. JP will get lots of opportunities as Kellie substitutes with platoons. This also takes a lot of pressure off of JP to walk in and be dominant.
I just feel like with our Fab Four being sophomores, possibly two AA’s, tightened up PG play, TK shooting more from the foul line we will present a lot of defensive challenges.
You will also be fine driving through Tennessee. Might want to stay west of the plateau though. You know what happens to strangers on Rocky Top😳.

Jackson is first team all sec material, UT just upped the game big time, she is an assassin type shooter, the one thing UT needed. Her with Key and Horston and the rest is formidable, great pickup for LV to say the least, huge tbh.

Jackson is first team all sec material, UT just upped the game big time, she is an assassin type shooter, the one thing UT needed. Her with Key and Horston and the rest is formidable, great pickup for LV to say the least, huge tbh.

There was no bigger free agent imo. I was hoping she would end up in another conference, she is smooth and deadly.

Need Orange trying to make the case she isn’t all that, based upon his thought that UT does not need another volume shooter type, but Jackson is a pure shooter type that does not need volume. She will start at UT from day one and likely will split time between the 2-3 spots, where she will burn any zone defense and vs one on one defenses she has already shown she can and will cut azz.

Make no mistake, Jackson is a HUGE pickup for UT and Makes that roster immediately more versatile and lethal. Next season, with 6’7” Key at 5, and Horston, Jackson, Dye and the rest, UT looking like a big time contender, Jackson was that big of a get. Game changer.

Harper critics are like crickets now..

Last edited:
I'm no professional basketball coach, but to my eye Tennessee currently runs a "going-through-the-motions" offense instead of a motion offense. It doesn't appear to have a useful purpose outside of giving the players an opportunity to run seconds off the clock while moving in a figure-8 pattern. As CoachJ said above, the motion offense has to be practiced, and Practiced, and PRACTICED AND PRACTICED, and with a clear understanding of what to look for while they are in motion. Just making a fun shape is not the purpose; getting someone open IS.

All that said, I suspect the staff made the decision that there isn't enough time in practices to spend on that offense to get everyone -- THIS YEAR, with so many fresh additions -- so many hours and hours and hours of repetitions that muscle-memory takes over. My hope is that next year more time can be spent teaching and practicing that offense.
Thank you. Perfectly said. Some folks here apparently don’t realize it takes time to build a team.

Christ, the Uconnies are telling everyone about the game again, they just can’t help themselves, they have to tell everyone how the game is played. They have the patent on bb knowledge you see.

VN Store

Back