Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

20-14. In 17 years Barnes took Texas to 16 NCAATs. He had 16 winning records and the one that was below .500 was 1 game below.

Well, They’ll be in the NCAA this year and we’ll see how far Smart takes them. Again, I don’t understand the correlation between Tennessee season this year & a team Barnes hasn’t coached in 6 years

Well, They’ll be in the NCAA this year and we’ll see how far Smart takes them. Again, I don’t understand the correlation between Tennessee season this year & a team Barnes hasn’t coached in 6 years

You are the one who said he wouldn’t be here if Texas “never fired his ass.” So, yea, it’s relevant if you want to put it that way.

Yea, 15-6 is a flop. A team picked by everyone to win the SEC is Currently middle of the pack in the SEC and could finish in the bottom half. Without a drastic turnaround, I would call that a “ flop

Of course you would...lol. Lies of omission are the worst kind of lies. It's quite amazing how anyone could point to preseason expectations to make a point that the season is a "flop" while ignoring one simple and painful fact unrelated to coaching which has severely impeded our performance and was a significant factor in why the prognosticators chose use to win the SEC to begin with. My bet is you know precisely what I am referring to but it doesn't fit your "CRB sux" narrative.

Reactions: BreatheUT
You act like Barnes is the only coach that has ever had success here. Please read up on the history of UT BB and you’ll find out there have been several coaches that have taken us to the tourney throughout the years and won SEC Championships. Barnes is just another coach that has done an average job here. Nothing too great, nothing too horrible.
I just can't believe how many buy into the narrative that we are incapable of going out and hiring a good coach. We have the facilities, fan base, and money that 90% of schools only envy.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Of course you would...lol. Lies of omission are the worst kind of lies. It's quite amazing how anyone could point to preseason expectations to make a point that the season is a "flop" while ignoring one simple and painful fact unrelated to coaching which has severely impeded our performance and was a significant factor in why the prognosticators chose use to win the SEC to begin with. My bet is you know precisely what I am referring to but it doesn't fit your "CRB sux" narrative.
Enlighten me?

You are the one who said he wouldn’t be here if Texas “never fired his ass.” So, yea, it’s relevant if you want to put it that way.

You have it backwards. Texas program today has absolutely no relation to Tennessee’s program because Tennessee never had Smart as coach. Texas could look at Tennessee today and think “what could have been” but I doubt they’re rolling in envy.

You have it backwards. Texas program today has absolutely no relation to Tennessee’s program because Tennessee never had Smart as coach. Texas could look at Tennessee today and think “what could have been” but I doubt they’re rolling in envy.

You just choose not to consider it. The last two schools that Barnes has coached have not done nearly as well since he left. Always so funny what facts people pick and choose on here.

True, they are not alike. Barnes has not reached the level of success that Pearl accomplished at UT. Not yet.

Don't leave that part out

Agreed. Barnes is probably 10 arrests short.

Lest not forget the cluster of a roster Barnes inherited.

We know Martin left Tyndall a shameful roster. Martin knew it so he had a convenient excuse for leaving with the racism cries after a group of crazies signed some letter if I recall correctly. I don't really care because I thought it was all pretty stupid. Cuonzo knew the season he was about to have.

Then Tyndall has to band aid the roster with JUCO's and transfers. Surprising he had any success after what Martin left. Was fired for recruiting violations at Southern Miss. At this point the UT program was in the dumps of embarrassment.

The embarrassment chain Pearl violations=> Martin racism => Tyndall violations and one year and out.

Then Barnes inherited a roster no one would want in a Power 5. Just going off memory he had like 1 returning contributor. Kevin Pointer. We will give him 3 returning contributors just to throw in some bones. So the 1st year or two was going to be a wash. He still overachieved by most standards. I will conduct some research if needed but I think we generally agree.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
True, they are not alike. Barnes has not reached the level of success that Pearl accomplished at UT. Not yet.

Don't leave that part out

No but Pearl didn’t reach the level of success people are expecting of Barnes either. People have this weird nostalgia about Pearl. Like it’s pointed out we made the NCAAT every year under him but now we have people here saying making the NCAAT every year isn’t good enough.

I just can't believe how many buy into the narrative that we are incapable of going out and hiring a good coach. We have the facilities, fan base, and money that 90% of schools only envy.
The probability of UT upgrading from Barnes is very low. You might get a “good” coach but it likely won’t be someone who convinces a 5 star point guard who openly stated that Duke was his dream school to pick UT over Duke.

No but Pearl didn’t reach the level of success people are expecting of Barnes either. People have this weird nostalgia about Pearl. Like it’s pointed out we made the NCAAT every year under him but now we have people here saying making the NCAAT every year isn’t good enough.

It took a miracle for Pearl to reach the Elite 8 while he was here.

Take away that then Pearl has had the same success as Barnes in March.

It took a miracle for Pearl to reach the Elite 8 while he was here.

Try again, Pearl was in the tourney all six years he coached here including 2 sweet 16’s ( and of course the Elite 8 you said took a “ miracle” which is such a weak argument) And he inherited a dumpster fire just like Barnes. Pearl is > coach than Barnes hands down

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Rewatched the game last night......Fulk is just not himself since he got banged up.....Springer is definitely hurting and it is affecting his shot.....Pons was not attacking the boards with his usual gusto. To be fair, KY's length and aggressive defense play affected our shot making. Remember JJJ did not play.....We were ripe for a whipping and we got it. KY played horribly in the second half but made most of their points from the free throw line......How much of this is on Barnes?......You people who want to get rid of Barnes are frankly idiots....JMHO

It took a miracle for Pearl to reach the Elite 8.

That Elite 8 run pretty much saved Pearl’s image here.

The nostalgia glasses are very orange tinted here because before that run, the grumblings against Pearl were VERY strong that he was a good coach but was never going to take UT any further than the S16.

People also forget that Elite 8 team had a rather disappointing regular season. It’s overlooked because we beat #1 Kansas but we had several not great losses and lost by almost 30 to UK in the SECT. And the #14 seed Ohio upset #3 seed Georgetown so we had some fortune.

Try again, Pearl was in the tourney all six years he coached here including 2 sweet 16’s ( and of course the Elite 8 you said took a “ miracle” which is such a weak argument) And he inherited a dumpster fire just like Barnes. Pearl is > coach than Barnes hands down
Pearl inherited a much better roster than Barnes did.

Barnes inherited a garbage roster with the NCAA breathing down our necks over the Tyndall scandal.

You’re acting like Barnes didn’t have to build anything here which is BS.

And Pearl inherited a much better roster.

Hey , I hope I am totally wrong, but the way this team is playing, I do not see them getting past the first weekend in March and that would be a flop for a team that had Final 4 hype in December

The question is why did they have Final 4 hype realistically looking at the roster?

We were .500 last year. We all knew we missed on a needed big in recruiting last year. We hoped that we could make up for it with improvement from the returning guys. We all imagined the best case scenario for post play. It's been the worst case scenario.

JF looks like the guy we often laughed at in the past. Disappointing.

YP is never going to be a 15-20 scorer or 10 rebound guy. That's why I don't think he lands on an NBA roster. Low impact guy.

CW apparently isn't ready and we hyped him up.

UP is still a cheerleader when we thought he would contribute.

ON is still a work in progress.

EJ is not the undersized skilled player we expected.

DP is a guy we knew would take a while and hoped he proves 3 point shooting before he leaves but not this year.

Enlighten me?

Fulkerson's play...his points per game in-conference has declined by 41% year-over-year (8.9 pts/game this season vs. 15.1 pts/game last season) and he has been especially bad of late having scored 4,4,0,8,4 and 7 in 6 of our last 8 games. I frankly would have predicted more losses had you given me those stats in advance for our All-SEC big man. We can speculate all day long as to why but he clearly is not performing anywhere near his proven talent as of late which one cannot really blame on coaching IMO.

Players have to play and coaches have to coach and I believe aspects of both can be criticized but criticism must be predicated on an objective evaluation (which is always hardest for me as a fan) and free from biases. So, to be clear, I am not saying the team has not disappointed us with their inconsistent play which has cost us games and, yes, CRB is ultimately responsible for figuring out how to get the most from this team but let's not pretend it is all caused by poor coaching by an overpaid coach.

And, as one wise poster stated in this thread, basketball success is largely determined by tourney results let's see how this team continues to develop and evolve.

If you think Pearl inherited a roster similar to what Barnes inherited then there is no reasoning with you.

Barnes inherited a garbage roster with the NCAA breathing down our necks over the Tyndall scandal.

You’re acting like Barnes didn’t have to build anything here which is BS.

And Pearl inherited a much better roster.
Pearl took a pedestrian roster and developed it into a winning team. Barnes inherited Kevin Punter, one of the great scorers in The last 20 years

The probability of UT upgrading from Barnes is very low. You might get a “good” coach but it likely won’t be someone who convinces a 5 star point guard who openly stated that Duke was his dream school to pick UT over Duke.

The odds of Tennessee hiring an “upgrade” over Barnes is slim.

We’re not getting a coach that has Final Fours & National Championships on his resume.

It’ll be a young up & comer that everyone will get tired of after he misses the tournament for the first time.

Pearl took a pedestrian roster and developed it into a winning team. Barnes inherited Kevin Punter, one of the great scorers in The last 20 years
“Pedestrian roster” that included an NBA point guard and the most prolific 3 point shooter in SEC history.

Imagine thinking Kevin Punter is better than Chris Lofton, LMAO

Last edited:

Pearl inherited much better talent than Barnes. If you legitimately want to argue that, then there is no hope.

VN Store

Back