Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Barnes has never been anything special. He’d never came here if Texas hadn’t fired his ass and he looked to run out first chance he got (UCLA). Why some of you love him so much is beyond me. It’s just business to him and it is with me. He needs to win at the level he’s paid. Thus far he hasn’t.

How has that worked out for Texas?

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Barnes has landed 4 of the top 7 recruits in our programs history since rankings started. Yeah let’s fire that guy.
that’s the sad part....he has totally underachieved with them too....picked to win the league and will be lucky to be in the top 5....he is a good coach but far from elite

Reactions: 08Vol and 1985Vols
And if Barnes had never came here, lord knows how bad this program would be right now.

Probably battling Vandy for last place in the SEC.
You act like Barnes is the only coach that has ever had success here. Please read up on the history of UT BB and you’ll find out there have been several coaches that have taken us to the tourney throughout the years and won SEC Championships. Barnes is just another coach that has done an average job here. Nothing too great, nothing too horrible.

Reactions: 08Vol
They may beat this team, but they couldn't compete with Barnes' consistently. You can cherry pick the best UT teams in the past 30+/-yrs and they couldn't consistently compete with Barnes' best UT teams.
Rick Barnes best teams?? He’s only won 20 games here twice. Jerry Green won 20 + games 4 seasons in a row. Bruce Pearl won 20+ games 5 out of 6 years. Heck, even Cuonzo won 20+ games 2 of his 3 years. This Barnes “ worshipping” really needs to stop. Other than 2 season, he’s basically accomplished nothing.

Rick Barnes best teams?? He’s only won 20 games here twice. Jerry Green won 20 + games 4 seasons in a row. Bruce Pearl won 20+ games 5 out of 6 years. Heck, even Cuonzo won 20+ games 2 of his 3 years. This Barnes “ worshipping” really needs to stop. Other than 2 season, he’s basically accomplished nothing.

Cuonzo’s TN teams NEVER were ranked in the AP poll. Not once in the pressason polls, the final polls, and not once during any season that he was the coach.

Barnes has had 2 of the highest final AP poll rankings for TN in the last 40 years. He has had the highest AP ranking in the history of TN’s basketball program and by far the longest.

Cuonzo’s TN teams NEVER were ranked in the AP poll. Not once in the pressason polls, the final polls, and not once during any season that he was the coach.

Barnes has had 2 of the highest final AP poll rankings for TN in the last 40 years. He has had the highest AP ranking in the history of TN’s basketball program and by far the longest.
I would never argue that Cuonzo is a better coach then Barnes. However, I just wanted to point out the fact that outside of 2 seasons here, Barnes hasn’t really accomplished much in 6 years if you count this years flop.

I would never argue that Cuonzo is a better coach then Barnes. However, I just wanted to point out the fact that outside of 2 seasons here, Barnes hasn’t really accomplished much in 6 years if you count this years flop.

In Pearl’s last 3 seasons TN’s final AP rankings were lower than the preseason rankings each year. When Pearl snuck into his Elite Eight TN’s final AP ranking was 15.

2 years ago Barnes had the 6th best winning percentage in 112 years of TN basketball. The 31 wins that year are the most in the history of TN basketball.

15-6 is a flop?

Last edited:
In Pearl’s last 3 seasons TN’s final AP rankings were lower than the preseason rankings each year. When Pearl snuck into his Elite Eight TN’s final AP ranking was 15.

2 years ago Barnes had the 6th best winning percentage in 112 years of TN basketball. The 31 wins that year are the most in the history of TN basketball.

15-6 is a flop?

Yea, 15-6 is a flop. A team picked by everyone to win the SEC is Currently middle of the pack in the SEC and could finish in the bottom half. Without a drastic turnaround, I would call that a “ flop”

How has that worked out for Texas?

They’re about where they were when they fired Barnes. Wasn’t Texas .500 or so Barnes last year there? Their season has been about like Tennessee’s (very highly rated early, steadily falling since) but Who cares about Texas?

Yea, 15-6 is a flop. A team picked by everyone to win the SEC is Currently middle of the pack in the SEC and could finish in the bottom half. Without a drastic turnaround, I would call that a “ flop”

Then by your criteria 2018 was a huge success. TN was not ranked in the pre-season and finished 13th. Then the team one year later finished with 31 wins. There has never been a TN team to finish with more wins than that.

They’re about where they were when they fired Barnes. Wasn’t Texas .500 or so Barnes last year there? Their season has been about like Tennessee’s (very highly rated early, steadily falling since) but Who cares about Texas?

20-14. In 17 years Barnes took Texas to 16 NCAATs. He had 16 winning records and the one that was below .500 was 1 game below.

Then by your criteria 2018 was a huge success. TN was not ranked in the pre-season and finished 13th. Then the team one year later finished with 31 wins. There has never been a TN team to finish with more wins than that.
How did their post season turn out? Again, college basketball is a tournament sport. That’s what most teams are remembered by

Rick Barnes to me is the CBB equivalent of Philip Rivers as an NFL QB. Great at his job and way more success than failure, but never quite pushes into the truly elite tier. Probably makes the HOF due to longevity and sustained success over the course of a long career, but you look back and say "I feel like there should have been a little more".

I think we are lucky to have Barnes and he will be here for as long as he wants. However, I don't think he is above reproach or criticism either.
I don’t think he’s a HOF coach, but he is a very good recruiter who should at least have us in the Dance every year, which is more than I can say for half the boneheads we’ve hired in the past. He might not be Calipari, Coach K, Izzo, or even Pearl, but you have to admit we were lucky to get him after Donnie Trainwreck was here.

I don’t think he’s a HOF coach, but he is a very good recruiter who should at least have us in the Dance every year, which is more than I can say for half the boneheads we’ve hired in the past. He might not be Calipari, Coach K, Izzo, or even Pearl, but you have to admit we were lucky to get him after Donnie Trainwreck was here.

If you’re taking bets on that HOF suggestion I want in on it.

No, Barnes isn’t Pearl. He doesn’t have a show cause from the NCAA and he hasn’t had any of his assistant coaches arrested.

He is a 100% lock for the hall of fame.

If you’re taking bets on that HOF suggestion I want in on it.

No, Barnes isn’t Pearl. He doesn’t have a show cause from the NCAA and he hasn’t had any of his assistant coaches arrested.

True, they are not alike. Barnes has not reached the level of success that Pearl accomplished at UT. Not yet.

Don't leave that part out

Reactions: 08Vol and 1985Vols
good.....having a better year than us with lesser talent
They’ve played fewer games than us and have the same number of losses. Yesterday they blew a 19 point lead to lose at home to West Virginia. And during a timeout they had to break up a fight between two of their own players. Texas fans aren’t happy with Shaka. Many of them regret firing Barnes

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back