Reports of Locker Room Dissension

Do your players know where to stand on the baseball field?
not always. But its certainly something we have worked on for weeks. Example, pitcher covering home, 3rd baseman covering the base.

The whole league is focused on stealing on passed balls. We work on that non-stop

I coach my sons 9-10 baseball team. We lost last night 15-1. I blamed myself post game, but really our kids suck. We had 4 pitchers walk a total of 13 kids. I have worked with them for weeks now on hitting the strike zone. All 4 of them did it well in practice. As soon as we got under the lights it’s like they forgot what to do. I even had to bench my son because he wasn’t mentally there. So what you’re all saying is that was all my fault and had nothing to do with execution. Got it.

I have a serious question for you. How do you develop your pitchers in practice? What all do the pitchers do in practice?

Reactions: VOLfrombama
This is a badly coached team with players who make critical errors at the worst time possible. It is really news that they cant get along? JP is a mistake, but we have already started over too many times. We must just take the pain for 2-3 years. AS bad as that sounds, it is the best way forward. JG has never been the same since he was trucked in the Mo game last year... No confidence since then- it is time to play the young guy and start getting better.

The fact that you say JG hasn't been good since the Mizz game last years tells us all we need to know about your knowledge of the state of UT football.

It's sort of telling re: the depths to which the program has fallen when the most interesting discussion going on currently centers around a 9-10 baseball team.

I have a serious question for you. How do you develop your pitchers in practice? What all do the pitchers do in practice?
we work on techniques and consistency mostly. , how you hold the ball, foot placement, leg kick, and arm motion/finish. If you can get them to do it the same way every time, they become much more consistent. We actually had some coaches from Samford U (Casey Dunn is the most famous one) come and show us some things that I had no idea were so important. So we as parents/coaches learned basic technique for hitting, pitching, and running bases. then we do the same drills with the kids.

Not suprised. Those who are not carrying their part of the load should be the subject of the dissension. The transfer portal is always open.

we work on techniques and consistency mostly. , how you hold the ball, foot placement, leg kick, and arm motion/finish. If you can get them to do it the same way every time, they become much more consistent. We actually had some coaches from Samford U (Casey Dunn is the most famous one) come and show us some things that I had no idea were so important. So we as parents/coaches learned basic technique for hitting, pitching, and running bases. then we do the same drills with the kids.

That is fine that you had Casey Dunn work with techniques. But, I am seeing your problem. I have coached 8-19 year olds in baseball for 19 years and have been a pitching coach for a long time. The older guys can only work on development without live reps to perfect their craft. The younger guys (8-12 primarily) really need to live pitching in practice off of your team's batters. This will give them confidence to do it in a game. You should let all your pitchers pitch at least 50 pitches in practice to live batters as long as they don't have a game the for two days. You can probably let them throw 35 to 40 pitches with no game the next day. Of course, this applies to ANY YOU MAY PITCH THE NEXT GAME. The other guys could pitch more as long as they have several days before a game. No guys are going to have confidence until they do it a lot vs LIVE BATTERS. You should also try to make it like a scrimmage with parents that are there cheering and guys chanting to make it as 'GAME LIKE' as possible. I promise this will help. It will help your batters too. Young guys that age can hit pretty well off a coach throwing BP. But, they need live pitching in practice too. That is probably why you scored one run. I would also pull a player that walked 2-3 guys in a row or 4 batters in two innings. Unless, you don't have much pitchers throwing strikes. Leaving them in there kills their confidence and kills team confidence as well. Maybe you are doing this things. I am just trying to help. Either way, your pitchers and batters DEFINITELY NEED LIVE GAME LIKE reps on the mound and at the plate EVERY PRACTICE. You could do drills half the practice and do a live scrimmage the other. It would be great to have enough parents to play OF for your guys to have two teams of IFs. If some of them can't play a lick of IF and will never be there, you could let the some of the parents play IF at 2nd and 3rd. I did this with a 10 year old team several years ago that was probably one of the top 3 travel ball teams in the TN. That was their first year together too. When does season end?

They dont allow live pitching during practices. It’s a safety thing according to the league, pitching net be derned. So this is the next best thing we can do.

We do everything else you mentioned, including scrimmage, the problem is they have a hard pitch count (60 per 48 hours) so we are really limited on how much we can work with them. Scrimmage pitches count too. So we scrimmage Saturday and play Tuesday night. We can average 2 innings per kid assuming he can throw strikes

I also have 4 kids that can pitch at all. The rest aren’t good enough. This is all but one of the kids first season to pitch, so we are starting from the bottom. Its really painful to watch.

We have 6 games left and 3 scrimmages. Thanks for the input.

They dont allow live pitching during practices. It’s a safety thing according to the league, pitching net be derned. So this is the next best thing we can do.

We do everything else you mentioned, including scrimmage, the problem is they have a hard pitch count (60 per 48 hours) so we are really limited on how much we can work with them. Scrimmage pitches count too. So we scrimmage Saturday and play Tuesday night. We can average 2 innings per kid assuming he can throw strikes

I also have 4 kids that can pitch at all. The rest aren’t good enough. This is all but one of the kids first season to pitch, so we are starting from the bottom. Its really painful to watch.

We have 6 games left and 3 scrimmages. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you are in the wrong league. I guess the players can't even stand up there with a bat and bunt or just watch strikes and balls. My suggestion would be to try to develop every player you have as a P. Unless, the kid refuses to pitch. Then, you can't do anything about it. If their mind is totally opposed, it will be no good to put them up there. Although, I have turned some of them into pitchers too. Trust me! I have had a team with only a few experienced pitchers and turned almost all or all of them into pitchers by midway through a season. You never know who will be on target on a given day. I wish you well the last 6 games. I agree with the other poster. Sometimes the best D is O. The hitting needs to be improved dramatically too. May I ask where you live?

can you really coach a 7/8 girls' softball team?
We couldnt the first year ...
but once we got our recruits we did ok..:cool:........all kidding aside..we had 11 kids about half them had some athletic ability and wanted to play....the other half were there because mom/dad wanted them there....learned pretty quick you had to make it fun for them or it was like herding cats!!

It's sort of telling re: the depths to which the program has fallen when the most interesting discussion going on currently centers around a 9-10 baseball team.
You know who kept Manning on the bench until he got hurt?
Todd Helton.
Meh...maybe we should move this to the recruiting forum.

@VolsGrad1989 Near Birmingham. It’s a city league. And most of our kids have noodle arms or are first time players. We are going to keep pushing them though. Thanks for all the advice

You seriously comparing rec league baseball to D1 sports? Did you recruit those kids or have them assigned to you?
Both. And yes, if those players cant execute, how can I expect them to win? It’s actually really simple.

VN Store

Back