Reports of Locker Room Dissension

Finally, many of you are coming around to supporting Maurer or Shrout. I think Maurer is the guy. Where is Ktown King these days? I don't see him on here bragging about JG's QBR anymore!!! LOL
I’d be careful on the word “support”. It looks to me that most see him as merely a band-aid for the rest of the season.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Locker room dissension as reported by David Ubben, ok!

Exactly how many sources are quoted here. Zero? What we have is yet another "news report" based on unnamed sources.

I sure hope there is locker room tension. But, this article doesn't shed light on anything. We have no idea if a single thing in it is true.

Calaway was right. Just heard Ainge's analysis of what that play was SUPPOSED to be and Calaway read the situation correctly and JG did not. JG did not read the Florida defense correctly, Calaway diverted his route as he was supposed to do based on Florida defense.
JG can not read a defense. He is horrible at it. He is 1 read and check down.

Locker room disputes happen on every team, they just happen on poorly coached teams more often.
Poorly performing teams. Coaches aren’t taking late shots, penalties, can’t snap the ball on time, overthrowing wide open receivers, kicking the ball off out of bounds, etc. plus, you need to look at the number of new players on the field. Our middle linebacker is a true freshman. Maybe VN is contributing to the problem more than coaching.

Yayyyy. Players leaving. Bout to have Georgia destroy our souls. Just got blown out by our primary rival. Head coach looks checked out. Athletic director might be too prideful to admit mistake.

Wooooo hoooooo
Totally agree. Especially with the part that our head coach looks checked out. In post game presser against Florida, he acted like he could give a you know what. I also agree that Fulmer is way to prideful to admit he made a mistake. I like Fulmer, but his stubbornness sometimes is not a positive.

Reactions: hog88
Poorly performing teams. Coaches aren’t taking late shots, penalties, can’t snap the ball on time, overthrowing wide open receivers, kicking the ball off out of bounds, etc. plus, you need to look at the number of new players on the field. Our middle linebacker is a true freshman. Maybe VN is contributing to the problem more than coaching.

All of that goes back to, you guessed it COACHING.

Reactions: jeff1vol
I coach my sons 9-10 baseball team. We lost last night 15-1. I blamed myself post game, but really our kids suck. We had 4 pitchers walk a total of 13 kids. I have worked with them for weeks now on hitting the strike zone. All 4 of them did it well in practice. As soon as we got under the lights it’s like they forgot what to do. I even had to bench my son because he wasn’t mentally there. So what you’re all saying is that was all my fault and had nothing to do with execution. Got it.

I coach my sons 9-10 baseball team. We lost last night 15-1. I blamed myself post game, but really our kids suck. We had 4 pitchers walk a total of 13 kids. I have worked with them for weeks now on hitting the strike zone. All 4 of them did it well in practice. As soon as we got under the lights it’s like they forgot what to do. I even had to bench my son because he wasn’t mentally there. So what you’re all saying is that was all my fault and had nothing to do with execution. Got it.

You seriously comparing rec league baseball to D1 sports? Did you recruit those kids or have them assigned to you?

No, you're the best. You probably deserve 4 million a year and a 9 million buyout for knowing how to properly blame the kids.

I have a hard time understanding what has happened at UT. I watch games....this team has no emotion, to swag, no energy, no nothing. It was the same under the last 2 years of Butch. UT has continued to recruit well even though all of the coaching messes. The team has some really good talent on it and always has. Not winning is due to a lack of coaching, lack of discipline, lack of respect for coaches, Admin, teammates...etc. I thought bringing in Tee and Chaney would bring back the swag and the emotion. I guess I was wrong on that one! By the way...how can Tee motivate players if he is in the booth during games. So what's the answer? At this point, I have no friggin clue!! Change coaches? maybe/maybe not. Maybe bring in someone to assess the situation and help right the ship. Someone out there has to have some clue as to what the problem is at UT....SOMEONE with some outside perspective. UT better do something...and fast.....or its gonna get really, really, really ugly....more so than it is now!!!!!

good stuff...this will go right over a bunch of heads here, but good try anyway...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

We had a team that performed in a similar way during the season but slowly got better. The kids just started doing in game what they had done in practice. Confidence improved and we wind up winning our league tourney.

Coaching and player improvement are not instantaneous but a process. Trying to take individual snapshots throughout the season is fine but we don’t have a full picture yet. Not saying CJP and staff are or aren’t the answer but let’s see if we clean a lot of this up by seasons end.

To those who say we got worse against UF I’d offer we simply faced the most physically talented team to date on our schedule. It shouldn’t be surprising we struggled.

This is a badly coached team with players who make critical errors at the worst time possible. It is really news that they cant get along? JP is a mistake, but we have already started over too many times. We must just take the pain for 2-3 years. AS bad as that sounds, it is the best way forward. JG has never been the same since he was trucked in the Mo game last year... No confidence since then- it is time to play the young guy and start getting better.

Reactions: volfannbama
Do your players know where to stand on the baseball field?

good stuff...this will go right over a bunch of heads here, but good try anyway...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!
Yeah probably....because we fail to grasp the distinct similarity between a dad coaching 9 year old baseball players, and a multimillionaire professional coaching 18-21 year-old 4 & 5 star scholarship football players. The parallels are staggering to be sure.

The Tennessee Vols’ 2019 season is off to a disastrous start.

Tennessee should be a 3-1 right now. Instead, the Vols are 1-3 and there’s a good chance they’ll soon be 1-6, with tough matchups against Georgia, Mississippi State and Alabama coming up in October.

Losing is never easy. I don’t know many ultra-competitive people that taking losing well.

So when a report of tension in the Vols’ locker room surfaces, it’s not exactly shocking.

On Monday, The Athletic reported that there was “a lot of tension” in the Tennessee locker room after the Vols’ loss to the Florida Gators.

According to the report, there were “multiple, loud disputes” after the game that centered around who deserved the blame for “several mistakes throughout the game”. The Athletic also noted that UT’s quarterback situation has “increased tensions”.

Dissension in the locker room is obviously never a good thing.

But I also don’t think it’s the end of the world. And I really don’t think it should bother Vol fans.

Losing isn’t fun. Tennessee’s players should be pissed off they’re losing. And they should be searching for answers. Pretending everything is great won’t solve anything.

This is a completely normal response to a 1-3 start. We’re talking about a locker room full of 18-22 year olds and their coaches. That’s a lot of people. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. It’s just life. And adversity can bring out the best and the worst in people.

Maybe this means some of UT’s players leave the program. It’s certainly possible that some of the tension is between “Butch Jones recruited players” and “Jeremy Pruitt recruited players”.

Will some of the “Butch players” leave the program in the coming weeks?

I’d say there’s a good chance that happens.

And maybe it’s what needs to happen.

If there are players who aren’t all in at Tennessee, then it’s probably best that the program and those players part ways.

By the way, I don’t think The Athletic is trying to stoke the fire by reporting on the state of Tennessee’s locker room. I think this is just what journalists are supposed to do. And The Athletic provides quality journalism. It’s not their job to make everything appear perfect. It’s their job to inform.

But at the same time, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Locker room disputes happen. Most of the time we never hear a word about them. Only when a team is losing does it become a major story.

If Tennessee starts winning, it won’t matter who yelled at who.

I call BS

VN Store

Back