Reports of Locker Room Dissension

I dont necessarily have faith in him as much as I have faith that firing him now is a bigger disaster than keeping him.

Read. Comprehend.
K, hold on to a bad coach 2 more years, you know what youll have?-2 more years of losing football and another coaching search.

Reactions: JoAllan
I am glad to see that players are getting in the faces of those who they dont think are pulling their weight. Funny that Swain mentioned this very thing after BYU. Good to see that all the team doesnt expect to lose and is unwilling to stay there. At the end of the day, its not the coaches, its the team that has to decide they are going to overcome, they are going to become winners no matter who they face on the field, no matter what that takes.
Coaches can coach all they want. But if the players are not willing to be coached, and don't give a hoot if they win or lose, they don't deserve a free education and play for UT or any team. Maybe all of the cancers will leave and take their attitudes somewhere else. GO VOLS!

He called two plays that would have worked if properly executed. JG threw the first one into a defender. The second one was a 5 yard bullet... that still should have been caught.

I'm not sure how you blame the play caller for either of those calls. They weren't bad calls regardless of the "push". Running what is expected against a good SEC D is seldom a good idea.

The 3rd down call was a good one that definitely should've been caught....no excuses there....No blame on Chaney.

I'm not 100% confident that the call on 2nd down would've resulted in a TD if that pass wasn't blocked.
Our receiver was open--but not wide open.
The pass did require some touch on JG's part....but that Florida defender was definitely in position to bat away, knock down, or intercept a ball thrown directly at or slightly behind the receiver.
We'll never know.

I was actually shocked--but glad--that we gained 5 yards on first and goal from the 8 yd line.
I was sure that Gray was gonna get the ball on 2nd down on a run....

Oh well....

But are we going "backwards"? Right now, JG is regressing. I don't see a lot of other players regressing.

Defense looks much better than it did in Week 1. O-line blocking looks much better than it did in Week 1. I mostly see a team improving outside of the QB and maybe a few other players.

The Safeties are NOT getting better....they're pitiful.

K, hold on to a bad coach 2 more years, you know what youll have?-2 more years of losing football and another coaching search.

THIS......this right here is exactly where I’m at.

I’ve seen enough for me to understand Pruitt does NOT have it (regression not progression, unmotivated, unprepared, indecision, undisciplined......general lack of head coaching ability).

I don’t want Tennessee to suffer several more years, decline even more, then have to search all over again anyway.

Reactions: volfannbama
It took him 8 games to throw 2 pics last year. He threw 3 in the first 2 games this year. He’s regressed[/QUOTE
]He has definitely thrown more interceptions but I really believe he was just lucky last year. He has been bailed out by receivers a lot. We can agree to disagree but I have never felt comfortable with him as the starting QB.

The Safeties are NOT getting better....they're pitiful.
Theo Jackson has improved bigly. Sadly, Warrior simply isn't that good and that has been shown consistently throughout his career. We need a younger player to beat him out but apparently that hasn't happened yet.

I'm not sure why anyone would think locker room dissension right now is a bad thing. We need players unhappy with 1-3. We need the problem players to leave the program. Unfortunately we can only bring in 25 new players per cycle....

Reactions: VolLFN
Theo Jackson has improved bigly. Sadly, Warrior simply isn't that good and that has been shown consistently throughout his career. We need a younger player to beat him out but apparently that hasn't happened yet.

I disagree with you about the degree of Jackson's improvements...Look again at the BYU tape...and find that he had an extremely average game....and was beaten badly by #89 on that last play in regulation--just as bad as Taylor was.

In the Florida game....Jackson was like a statue out there when they were in zone coverage. Neither Safety broke on the ball at all when they were in zone...
He did make a few plays when Trask threw terrible passes into coverage.

I think that Flowers is the best guy out of those three.

But knowing how bad we are at Safety--I simply cannot understand why CJP doesn't put Tyler Byrd back there in the position.
He's a better athlete than anyone we have playing Safety.

The only positive, and I may be reaching here, is that this could be a necessary process with a change in culture that will be necessary to flip the roster and see returns in the next few years.

Best case: it will be a painful season or two, rewards to come.

Worst case: recruiting tanks, we can't hire a proven guy, and UT football fades to obscurity.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I disagree with you about the degree of Jackson's improvements...Look again at the BYU tape...and find that he had an extremely average game....and was beaten badly by #89 on that last play in regulation--just as bad as Taylor was.

In the Florida game....Jackson was like a statue out there when they were in zone coverage. Neither Safety broke on the ball at all when they were in zone...
He did make a few plays when Trask threw terrible passes into coverage.

I think that Flowers is the best guy out of those three.

But knowing how bad we are at Safety--I simply cannot understand why CJP doesn't put Tyler Byrd back there in the position.
He's a better athlete than anyone we have playing Safety.
I don't think Jackson is great and he makes plenty of mistakes. He has improved greatly, tho. Byrd is an enigma, I have no idea. I also thought Flowers would be starting by now...I've seen reports he's disgruntled, I have no idea. But players like Taylor, Thompson, Burrell clearly have talent. Yet they have also made glaring mistakes. It's all a work in progress and the whole team is melting down to varying degrees.

I don't think Jackson is great and he makes plenty of mistakes. He has improved greatly, tho. Byrd is an enigma, I have no idea. I also thought Flowers would be starting by now...I've seen reports he's disgruntled, I have no idea. But players like Taylor, Thompson, Burrell clearly have talent. Yet they have also made glaring mistakes. It's all a work in progress and the whole team is melting down to varying degrees.

Well...I agree that ALL of those young DBs that CJP recruited are way ahead of any of Lyle's leftovers--and I do cut them some slack for making mistakes as young DBs playing in the SEC on a team with no pass rush.
I thought that CJP would find a way to convert Byrd to a DB and get him on the field.

If there are players who aren’t all in at Tennessee, then it’s probably best that the program and those players part ways.

By the way, I don’t think The Athletic is trying to stoke the fire by reporting on the state of Tennessee’s locker room. I think this is just what journalists are supposed to do. And The Athletic provides quality journalism. It’s not their job to make everything appear perfect. It’s their job to inform.

I know it seems like this is a re-occurring story that looks like easy predatory journalism but it's not...we've had culture/team issues for the last three seasons.

If anyone has ever played on a team that has locker room trouble, they should know that chances are that team isn't going to win even when they should.

Reactions: Sara Clark
The only positive, and I may be reaching here, is that this could be a necessary process with a change in culture that will be necessary to flip the roster and see returns in the next few years.

Best case: it will be a painful season or two, rewards to come.

Worst case: recruiting tanks, we can't hire a proven guy, and UT football fades to obscurity.

I think we are already in obscurity. Hopefully that means only way to go is up.

Any play would work if executed. It was three yards and they were running with success.
Yeah and if the previous run play were "executed" a little better it would have scored... so according to your "logic" the run call failed. You know that both of those plays were there if JG or JJ had made a good play. You're trying to blame Chaney for two plays that should have worked. That by definition makes them good play calls.

VN Store

Back