Report contradicts Rick Barnes account of not taking UCLA job

I disagree.

The article in question was more about Calipari and the comments made about Barnes were only as an aside. There is no reason to think a big time LA journalist has any spite for Barnes and was only relaying what happened. Your opinion would carry water if the article was primarily about Barnes, but it was not. Barnes is in stage 5 damage control and is manipulating accuracy.

He'll be gone in 12 months.

You're free to disagree, but I'm skeptical that actually you read the entire article if you think that it was primarily about Calipari. Plus, where did I ever say the writer had spite for Barnes?

"As the nation turned its attention to the Final Four in Minneapolis, UCLA was looking farther east. The search committee engaged Tennessee’s Rick Barnes in a series of intense negotiations to finally fill its coaching vacancy.
Barnes had been a popular pick all along among some Bruins donors, and the veteran coach could be touted as a hot commodity after having just been given the Naismith Coach of the Year award following a season in which his team won 31 games.
After a series of back-and-forth discussions, Barnes agreed to take the job for just short of $6 million per season, with the Bruins footing his $5-million buyout, according to two people familiar with the talks. But Barnes subsequently had a representative contact UCLA, asking for more money.
UCLA pulled out of the discussions at that point, even after Barnes said he would accept the previously agreed-upon terms in an attempt to salvage the deal.
Barnes told reporters in the following days that he momentarily thought he was going to become the Bruins’ coach and that the holdup had been UCLA’s unwillingness to pay his buyout.
There was one truth everybody could agree on: Barnes wasn’t coming to Westwood."

Also a pretty lengthy segment about what went down with Dixon again disproving that this article is primarily about John Calipari.

Rob Lewis, who is in the know as much as anyone, said per his primary source that Barns did not ask for more money after Tennessee counter offered. Said he's confident that's bs. Believe what you will, but it is naive to accept an article written by a guy who quoted a fake account as 100% factual.

Reactions: butchna
You're free to disagree, but I'm skeptical that actually you read the entire article if you think that it was primarily about Calipari. Plus, where did I ever say the writer had spite for Barnes?

"As the nation turned its attention to the Final Four in Minneapolis, UCLA was looking farther east. The search committee engaged Tennessee’s Rick Barnes in a series of intense negotiations to finally fill its coaching vacancy.
Barnes had been a popular pick all along among some Bruins donors, and the veteran coach could be touted as a hot commodity after having just been given the Naismith Coach of the Year award following a season in which his team won 31 games.
After a series of back-and-forth discussions, Barnes agreed to take the job for just short of $6 million per season, with the Bruins footing his $5-million buyout, according to two people familiar with the talks. But Barnes subsequently had a representative contact UCLA, asking for more money.
UCLA pulled out of the discussions at that point, even after Barnes said he would accept the previously agreed-upon terms in an attempt to salvage the deal.
Barnes told reporters in the following days that he momentarily thought he was going to become the Bruins’ coach and that the holdup had been UCLA’s unwillingness to pay his buyout.
There was one truth everybody could agree on: Barnes wasn’t coming to Westwood."

Also a pretty lengthy segment about what went down with Dixon again disproving that this article is primarily about John Calipari.

Rob Lewis, who is in the know as much as anyone, said per his primary source that Barns did not ask for more money after Tennessee counter offered. Said he's confident that's bs. Believe what you will, but it is naive to accept an article written by a guy who quoted a fake account as 100% factual.

Sorry if there was implication you said the writer had spite about Barnes.

I'm skeptical you read my post if you think it said the article was primarily about Calipari (but rather "more about Calipari"). But I will correct my statement to say the article had 12 paragraphs about Calipari and 5 about Barnes.

Rob Lewis, who is in the know as much as anyone, said per his primary source that Barns did not ask for more money after Tennessee counter offered. Said he's confident that's bs. Believe what you will, but it is naive to accept an article written by a guy who quoted a fake account as 100% factual.[/QUOTE]

Was this "primary source" also unnamed?

Fairly well.

In this context, another school offered a better deal. Barnes tried to get a yet even better deal. The other school got cold feet. Barnes thought better of the even better deal and opted for the original deal, but it was too late.

Poor display of loyalty.
No. In this context, Rick Barnes' buyout in 12 months is like $21 million. Who do you expect to pay that? Or is it that you expect Tennessee to fire him and pay it?

No. In this context, Rick Barnes' buyout in 12 months is like $21 million. Who do you expect to pay that? Or is it that you expect Tennessee to fire him and pay it?

Doesn't matter what I expect. It's just what will happen. See past history regarding Fulmer, Dooley, Butch. Price is not a barrier.

Doesn't matter what I expect. It's just what will happen. See past history regarding Fulmer, Dooley, Butch. Price is not a barrier.
You just listed 3 football coaches 2 of which completely blew up and never won anything. The other felt like he was prematurely evicted.

Irony, so some say.

And Barnes is by far scrambling to hold on to his job after a 30+ win season.

Reactions: BisonVol

Was this "primary source" also unnamed?[/QUOTE]

His primary source is Barnes. Per the definition of the word.

Dooley and Butch were on the hot seat going into what turned out to be their final seasons. Fulmer was on the decline when he was fired. The basketball program, on the other hand, has done nothing but ascend under Barnes, thus explaining his raise (overpaid IMO despite the success we’ve had) and extension.

You just listed 3 football coaches 2 of which completely blew up and never won anything. The other felt like he was prematurely evicted.

Irony, so some say.

And Barnes is by far scrambling to hold on to his job after a 30+ win season.

Amen.

I don't understand why so many Vol fans choose to run with an unverified "story" out of LA over the word of our coach, who has never given us any reason to doubt his sincerity in the past. Then, people carry that further: attacking his coaching record, character, and even faith.

Maybe we should step back for a minute, realize that the report (from a storied program going through some really rough times) *might* not be accurate, give CRB the benefit of the doubt, and be thankful that UT finally didn't cheap out a coaching move. The Vol basketball program has really gained ground and momentum the past couple of years, we just had one of the most fun seasons in history with an awesome group of guys, and losing Barnes would have almost certainly set us back.

Was Barnes giving us the benefit of the doubt when he said he would be at UCLA if they paid the buy out?

VN Store

Back