Report contradicts Rick Barnes account of not taking UCLA job

Unless Rick Barnes retires or dies in the next 12 months, I’d bet my house he will be here thru 2021-22, which easily protects against your ridiculous 12 month window. Mainly because his new contractual buyout requires that he pay Tennessee the entirety (100%) of his base and supplemental pay thru the life of the contract (2024) if he leaves before the completion of the 2021-22 season. Tennessee owes him the same amount if they fire him. It drops to 50% of the remainder after that point. For better or worse, Tennessee and Barnes are married to each other for the next three seasons, minimum. But please, keep making stupid guesses as to when he bails on us.

I read the contract amendment, and, unfortunately, the buyout changes only apply to UT firing Barnes.

Barnes’ buyout if he leaves remains unchanged: it’s $1M per year left on the contract.

I don’t think we have to worry about him leaving. No other University is dumb enough to give him a comparable deal.

Reactions: allvol123
I read the contract amendment, and, unfortunately, the buyout changes only apply to UT firing Barnes.

Barnes’ buyout if he leaves remains unchanged: it’s $1M per year left on the contract.

I don’t think we have to worry about him leaving. No other University is dumb enough to give him a comparable deal.

Yet UCLA was? And Arkansas as well? Hmm...

Funny how things change once somebody looks at the contract rather than exclaiming information without knowing. You spent a few minutes in the weeds and now all of the sudden make it clear that Barnes can leave more cheaply next year than he could have this year (assuming he doesn't try to get more money after the handshake again).

Your last sentence is the best argument against my prediction, but I'm sticking with 12 months anyway. My rationale? UT is dumb enough to fire him and pay the buyout (as with Fulmer, Dooley, Jones).

Yet UCLA was? And Arkansas as well? Hmm...

With the same crazy incentives? We may never know the exact figures from UCLA and Arkansas, but I suppose it’s possible.

UT is paying Barnes an average of $5.2M/year now, but it’s possible for him to earn another $3M in incentives in a single year.

With the same crazy incentives? We may never know the exact figures from UCLA and Arkansas, but I suppose it’s possible.

UT is paying Barnes an average of $5.2M/year now, but it’s possible for him to earn another $3M in incentives in a single year.
Should you be upset with Barnes for that, or Fulmer?

Holy Crap!

Barnes may be more Calipari-like than I gave him credit for.

Check out OSD’s past posts...he’s also sworn to it that if Pruitt doesn’t go at least 8-4 this year he will be fired, and if he doesn’t win a national title by Year 3 he also will be fired. Gold.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back