Report contradicts Rick Barnes account of not taking UCLA job

This story smells of 1) a UCLA writer trying to make himself look like less of an imbecile for confirming a report from a fake Twitter account.
2) UCLA's AD trying to make himself look less inept by making Barnes look like a snake.

Barnes probably isn't a saint in all of this, but this is 100% UCLA spinning the truth to better their image in what was a botched coaching search.

This story is getting old and it does not change when told from the UCLA perspective.
In Fact, it never will change.
The truth was told by CRB and that was all that was needed.
We should really stop giving it legs.

When you're typically hiring mid-major coaches on the cheap...at a top-tier program with an athletic budget in the top 15 nationally...and SO many of these hires don't work out......surely a change is in order.

Did we overpay to keep CRB? Most definitely. Hallelujah.

Looking forward to UT hoops next November.

So CRB won the negotiation. I'd rather have somebody like that in charge of the BB program (and dealing with recruits) than somebody that isn't capable of closing deals with favorable outcomes.

Is Barnes also the guy that landed a home-and-home with an undisputed OOC blue blood program? When has that ever happened at UT?

This story smells of 1) a UCLA writer trying to make himself look like less of an imbecile for confirming a report from a fake Twitter account.
2) UCLA's AD trying to make himself look less inept by making Barnes look like a snake.

Barnes probably isn't a saint in all of this, but this is 100% UCLA spinning the truth to better their image in what was a botched coaching search.

I disagree.

The article in question was more about Calipari and the comments made about Barnes were only as an aside. There is no reason to think a big time LA journalist has any spite for Barnes and was only relaying what happened. Your opinion would carry water if the article was primarily about Barnes, but it was not. Barnes is in stage 5 damage control and is manipulating accuracy.

He'll be gone in 12 months.

I disagree.

The article in question was more about Calipari and the comments made about Barnes were only as an aside. There is no reason to think a big time LA journalist has any spite for Barnes and was only relaying what happened. Your opinion would carry water if the article was primarily about Barnes, but it was not. Barnes is in stage 5 damage control and is manipulating accuracy.

He'll be gone in 12 months.
1ABE3006-AA66-4011-920E-5E3F354E794F.gif

Reactions: BisonVol
I just don't think a journalist would bother making up something about what amounts to a "by the way" comment in an article that is primarily about another issue.

12 months.
Your prediction is preposterous because: (a) you have no way of knowing
(b) you're an attention seeker

Your prediction is preposterous because: (a) you have no way of knowing
(b) you're an attention seeker

Those are weakly valid reasons to allege what you are declaring. However, I have been around a long time. Us Vols fans are historically intolerant of 2 things:

1 Losing
2 Lack of loyalty

Barnes checked the second box last week.

12 months.

Those are weakly valid reasons to allege what you are declaring. However, I have been around a long time. Us Vols fans are historically intolerant of 2 things:

1 Losing
2 Lack of loyalty

12 months.
Wanna bet?
Is 12 months the length of time Barnes will be around, or how long this guy will stick around before he gets tired of his own schtick?

I'll take the over on the former, the under on the latter.

1 Losing
2 Lack of loyalty

12 months.
Unless Rick Barnes retires or dies in the next 12 months, I’d bet my house he will be here thru 2021-22, which easily protects against your ridiculous 12 month window. Mainly because his new contractual buyout requires that he pay Tennessee the entirety (100%) of his base and supplemental pay thru the life of the contract (2024) if he leaves before the completion of the 2021-22 season. Tennessee owes him the same amount if they fire him. It drops to 50% of the remainder after that point. For better or worse, Tennessee and Barnes are married to each other for the next three seasons, minimum. But please, keep making stupid guesses as to when he bails on us.

Reactions: cardvolfan
A lot of the posters on here remind me of the paranoid crazies we had running around in the government back in the 50s and 60s.

Unless Rick Barnes retires or dies in the next 12 months, I’d bet my house he will be here thru 2021-22, which easily protects against your ridiculous 12 month window. Mainly because his new contractual buyout requires that he pay Tennessee the entirety (100%) of his base and supplemental pay thru the life of the contract (2024) if he leaves before the completion of the 2021-22 season. Tennessee owes him the same amount if they fire him. It drops to 50% of the remainder after that point. For better or worse, Tennessee and Barnes are married to each other for the next three seasons, minimum. But please, keep making stupid guesses as to when he bails on us.

He didn't seem so married when UCLA was courting. Innocent infidelity?

Do you understand how money works?

Fairly well.

In this context, another school offered a better deal. Barnes tried to get a yet even better deal. The other school got cold feet. Barnes thought better of the even better deal and opted for the original deal, but it was too late.

Poor display of loyalty.

Fairly well.

In this context, another school offered a better deal. Barnes tried to get a yet even better deal. The other school got cold feet. Barnes thought better of the even better deal and opted for the original deal, but it was too late.

Poor display of loyalty.
Your "context" is far from a concrete fact.

UCLA had egg on its face with the Cal offer and ironically screwed up the Dixon deal because nobody on their end put the elephant in the room as line item A in the negotiation. Theres a lot more reason to believe they are in CYA mode at this point than anything else. Missing on TCU and UTs basketball coaches are gonna be met with "why".

Reactions: butchna
UCLA got a good coach. He took two mid majors to 11 NCAA tourneys (two of which were Murray State).

Calipari plays that game every year. Works good for him. Kentucky thinks he won't next year, but he will.

I'm not conversant about the Dixon deal, don't care. The reason they "missed" on Barnes is he got greedy. Vols fans will try to believe its because he bleeds orange, but they know better and will admit it slowly when he doesn't have the talent to excite the fan base next year.

52 weeks.

UCLA got a good coach. He took two mid majors to 11 NCAA tourneys (two of which were Murray State).

Calipari plays that game every year. Works good for him. Kentucky thinks he won't next year, but he will.

I'm not conversant about the Dixon deal, don't care. The reason they "missed" on Barnes is he got greedy. Vols fans will try to believe its because he bleeds orange, but they know better and will admit it slowly when he doesn't have the talent to excite the fan base next year.

52 weeks.
Hahaha. Bye troll.

VN Store

Back