Reply to a question

You calling me hypocritical is actually very hypocritical. The irony in that statement coming from YOU is next level “WTF?”. I’ve never denied that he had “near ints”. He absolutely did. BUT people like you, that have brought it up several times, avoid the FACT that while criticizing him for “near ints” you fail to mention JGs “near ints”. Kind of hypocritical wouldn’t you say? 🤔
No, what's hypocritical is you crying all year about JJ not catching a ball in the endzone thrown by BM that was intercepted yet never once acknowledging the same thing happened vs FL in a close game with JG at the helm. Hypocritical is you constantly blaming Keyton for a drop yet never once acknowledging that it happens a bunch to our starting QB too. You have blamed everyone for BMs horrid (worst in UT history maybe) stats, you blame Coach Pruitt and Chaney for him not being developed properly, you have blamed both Keyton and JJ for some of his transgressions, you blame Chaney for calling a pass play while he was concussed yet last season when those injuries occurred you hinted that they weren't even concussions. Your one sided view of BM football is meaningless on a Vol fan forum as you bring nothing to the table but that one sided view. You offer nothing but weak excuses to BMs horrid freshman season when the reality is that he was handed the starting job, put on a platter for him to take over and he simply could not capitalize. You would think he would have showed up to camp bigger, faster, stronger and MUCH more mature and ready to compete this year for that starting job, doesn't seem to have happened. If he's smart he'll get his degree in 3 years so he can be a graduate transfer as a RS Sophomore but I doubt he applies himself there either. Bottom line is that we've heard absolutely nothing about BM other than his Twitter escapades since we last saw him throwing the ball to worms vs Kentucky. He wasn't ready last year for several factors really out of his control, he doesn't seem to be ready this year either, hopefully that will change sometime soon.

Reactions: peerless98
The defense doesn't respect JGs throwing ability and why we see 8 in the box against us and why we finished around 85th in the country in rushing offense. Until we find someone....anyone at QB that can change that we will continue to see more of the same.
Another false neverJG narrative. Teams have not been loading 8 in the box against us, why would they when they have been stopping our running game while playing max protection vs the pass. Teams haven't needed to put 8 in the box vs our running game because we have been terrible running the football vs any decent front 7. Keep spinning it spinner!

Get off the nutz of a 6 game win streak against bottom barrell teams...hell we did that a few years ago. Hit 9 games actually before anyone cared, they only cared then because games 10,11 were UF and UGA
What a surprise coming from a NegaVol, nearly every analyst out there has acknowledged the streak being a nice accomplishment, Coach Pruitt has said good things about it, we used to hang our hat on those kinds of accomplishments, used them as springboards to success, our November winning streak vs weak opponents used to be praised back in the day. The only people crapping on the accomplishment of winning those 6 straight are our NegaVol fans, the worst faction we have within our fanbase I feel.

The only unknown is Bailey. We have a good gauge on the other 3 imo.

I disagree. Shrout has 27 career passes and Maurer 75. Maurer never finished a game. Both are unknowns coming into a season with no spring or summer. No way to predict if they are any good or not based on last year due to limited opportunities (Shrout playing time and Maurer health)

We may have a gauge on JG and even though there is plenty of film on JG, we don't know if he will be the same inconsistent QB, overall worst, or overall better going into this year. Look at all the pro and non-pro arguments just this week for him.

Thats why I'm saying its an unknown from that position. One thing I'm sure of though is that JG will start game 1 and he will have a short leash. I'm hoping he will/has improved and be more consistent but I'm not betting my house on it. He has the talent and potential to be better, hope he can do it for all our sake bc I don't know if JT or BM is ready to take over the team.

I disagree. Shrout has 27 career passes and Maurer 75. Maurer never finished a game. Both are unknowns coming into a season with no spring or summer. No way to predict if they are any good or not based on last year due to limited opportunities (Shrout playing time and Maurer health)

We may have a gauge on JG and even though there is plenty of film on JG, we don't know if he will be the same inconsistent QB, overall worst, or overall better going into this year. Look at all the pro and non-pro arguments just this week for him.

Thats why I'm saying its an unknown from that position. One thing I'm sure of though is that JG will start game 1 and he will have a short leash. I'm hoping he will/has improved and be more consistent but I'm not betting my house on it. He has the talent and potential to be better, hope he can do it for all our sake bc I don't know if JT or BM is ready to take over the team.
Post of the thread. It is JG's team and locker room right now.

No, what's hypocritical is you crying all year about JJ not catching a ball in the endzone thrown by BM that was intercepted yet never once acknowledging the same thing happened vs FL in a close game with JG at the helm. Hypocritical is you constantly blaming Keyton for a drop yet never once acknowledging that it happens a bunch to our starting QB too. You have blamed everyone for BMs horrid (worst in UT history maybe) stats, you blame Coach Pruitt and Chaney for him not being developed properly, you have blamed both Keyton and JJ for some of his transgressions, you blame Chaney for calling a pass play while he was concussed yet last season when those injuries occurred you hinted that they weren't even concussions. Your one sided view of BM football is meaningless on a Vol fan forum as you bring nothing to the table but that one sided view. You offer nothing but weak excuses to BMs horrid freshman season when the reality is that he was handed the starting job, put on a platter for him to take over and he simply could not capitalize. You would think he would have showed up to camp bigger, faster, stronger and MUCH more mature and ready to compete this year for that starting job, doesn't seem to have happened. If he's smart he'll get his degree in 3 years so he can be a graduate transfer as a RS Sophomore but I doubt he applies himself there either. Bottom line is that we've heard absolutely nothing about BM other than his Twitter escapades since we last saw him throwing the ball to worms vs Kentucky. He wasn't ready last year for several factors really out of his control, he doesn't seem to be ready this year either, hopefully that will change sometime soon.
General rule of thumb for red zone/ end zone passing within 10 yards on “in breaking” routes:

Front of the end zone target area = chest to knees.
Reasoning: The most highly congested area is the red zone. The closer to the end zone you get the less field there is to defend and therefore 21 other bodies are confined into that area causing Much tighter windows that close even faster than any other area of the field. The ball has to be thrown with very high velocity to take advantage of said closing windows. By changing a qbs target area in this area and situation you lessen the chances of tip drill ints.

Back of the end zone target area = 9-11 feet high.
Reasoning: on in breaking routes throwing the ball in this target area allows the WR to “go get it” while the ball sails over the heads of unsuspecting opposing defenders. High velocity on these throws in not necessary. A “miss” by a qb in this situation along with the proper placement and the ball is harmlessly thrown out of the back of the end zone.

I’ve talked very little about JGs int vs UF because of the reasons above. He was an elite 11 qb and he knows what I just said to be true. That ball was thrown with the proper velocity for the area of field but the placement was too high for that velocity at such close range at the front of the end zone. JJ had no time to react or adjust. That int was on him, not JJ. However one reason you haven’t heard me talk about it as well is the fact that those things happen to the best of qbs too. You may not have heard me criticize JJ but you haven’t seen me criticize JG either.

He can't as it didn't happen much at all.
Keep digging yourself into complete irrelevance. Do you even understand this game? Oh... that’s right, you’re in recruiting. Answers my question. Allow me to explain how defenses don’t have to “show” a loaded box.

When a defense understands a qbs playing style as a conservative pocket passer defensive coordinators can put in a downhill game plan. Meaning they can line up in cover 2 for example but once the ball is snapped can turn into a loaded box to fill running lanes and crash down on short routes. This is why you don’t see many YAC with check downs with a conservative qb. A safety can close the distance to the LOS in 2 seconds. A LB can close the distance in less than 1 from cover 2. An average run play takes 1 second to hand off from shotgun and . 08 from under center. Which means the LBs and safetys are already at or near the LOS before the RB is able to get out of the backfield. With a gunslinger that’s willing to take chances downfield a defensive coordinator can NOT play a down hill style of defense. They have to hesitate to diagnose every play. That hesitation creates running lanes for the backs and opens throwing lanes underneath. The upside to a conservative pocket passer is play action plays should be more effective with that style of qb in the game.

Point is you don’t HAVE to SHOW a loaded box when post snap is what tells the story.

Last edited:
What a surprise coming from a NegaVol, nearly every analyst out there has acknowledged the streak being a nice accomplishment, Coach Pruitt has said good things about it, we used to hang our hat on those kinds of accomplishments, used them as springboards to success, our November winning streak vs weak opponents used to be praised back in the day. The only people crapping on the accomplishment of winning those 6 straight are our NegaVol fans, the worst faction we have within our fanbase I feel.
Where were you when we hit that winning streak..following JG mediocre high school career?...wins against team ranked lower then us are expected not an achievement....sorry that doesnt help your JG love....i find it funny that you call people names when you cant argue your point...

Reactions: 1vol8
Yeah. But sometimes those media folks are told they cannot report some things they see.

We won't know until we all get to see it. And even if the reports of JG's practice performance are absolutely true... he's still a guy who has a history of looking better in practice than on gameday. Unless he's improved significantly, I hope one of the other guys has stepped up... and JG has a short leash.
the only way this gets hashed out is on Sept 26. We will all know then, without a doubt, who the pecking order is and if JG has improved.

JG can’t throw in tight space, inside the 15 TD line, Yet our coaches call plays where he has to read the defense in those situations

He’s limited in some areas and damned if our coaches don’t magnify his problems.

Practice never has been the issue. JG will start

good point. He really has all the physical tools. That’s why he was a top 25 recruit. It what makes a joe burrow or it TL is what happens when the bright lights come on. For some dudes the game slows down and they become the general out there. Others have the deer in the headlights look and just can’t deliver. JG is definitely the latter. Literally, I’ll always remember a couple of camera shots with him looking shocked talking to the coaches on the sidelines

Reactions: rocytop2624

VN Store

Back