Reminder: Tomorrow (Feb.1) Karoline Striplin announces her decision

Coach I don't drink, but I may have to now to calm down.....I had allowed myself to believe she would come here and when I was tricked she wasn't, I really felt sad, I mean real sad.....I was all in on this girl and when it said Alabama, holy cow the walls caved in....But it was all a good practical joke.....

Coach, Darth likes her...DARTH LIKES HER....This alone is major.

I want the LVs back and Kellie to succeed, and I want all the great posters on here to feel great with lots of wins....This is a great night to be a Lady Vol fan....Damn, this is huge!

Party on Wayne,,,party on Darth

I saw Teoni Key at the last game,,,this could be the domino that makes her tumble our way.
Coach K is doing everything right,,,right down to having a show without doc, this week.
The more I see of her coaching savvy, the less I feel the need to say, "I can be there tomorrow"

I want Coach K to be there, tomorrow

Party on Wayne,,,party on Darth

I saw Teoni Key at the last game,,,this could be the domino that makes her tumble our way.
Coach K is doing everything right,,,right down to having a show without doc, this week.
The more I see of her coaching savvy, the less I feel the need to say, "I can be there tomorrow"

I want Coach K to be there, tomorrow

Outstanding post Coach.....If Teoni becomes a Lady Vol, I may have to be restrained from too much happiness smile.....Coach, it's really good to be a Lady Vol fan tonight!

KJH is certainly checking the boxes, especially off the court. Rebuilding culture - check. Improving Public Communication (no Doc!) in so many ways - check. Recruiting - check, starting with the great job last year keeping Horston and Key after all the drama. On court - can earn a solid check down the home stretch by going 4-4, 5-3 would be outstanding. Finish reg season 22-7 or 21-8 and I'm pleasantly surprised and very happy to award that check, especially with the loss of Green.

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I might sorta miss hearing bout being ready tomorrow.

Karoline is a "Basketball Player"......Not an athlete trying to play basketball, but a basketball player playing basketball.....This is so huge!

I had been out walking my dogs and I checked the time, it was near 6 o'clock,.... I hurried back before one of them could finish her business...I was so excited about this girl that is a basketball player that I felt and still due she is a major, major foundation piece to our soon to be success again....

I have watched her shooting video at least a dozen times.....This girl is a major basketball player of the first order.
And now she is a Lady Vol......This is so huge!
If she is a major basketball player then she is really good athlete. Maybe not elite but really good

My neighbors invited me over for 6 p.m. dinner, and being the considerate guest that I am I left my phone and tablet at home.

So I have JUST walked in to get this wonderful news!!!!!!!! I only had to put it out of my mind approximately 7,590 times over the past 3.5 hours, so it was definitely worth the wait.

I’m SO HAPPY!!!!!!!

Outstanding post Coach.....If Teoni becomes a Lady Vol, I may have to be restrained from too much happiness smile.....Coach, it's really good to be a Lady Vol fan tonight!

You know GT, I can concentrate on "me", re basketball for the first time in years.

I did get a lot of fodder condensed into fewer notes for the book.

You know, GT, CHW kept me so intent on keeping this program alive, that I didn't even consider doing anything else, BB speaking.
Working with Meme was set up through her Mom, so the university staff had nothing to do with it,,which by NCAA bylaws make it legal and permissible.
(That will be an interesting chapter, I'm calling it: "2 Years, 200 emails ").
This year, if I don't get to work with a LV, I am going to be able to get into something local.

This is Karoline Striplin's thread, so I'll stop there,,,,

BTW,
Glad it is Coach K's era and she is embracing it.
I watched the "Coach Kellie Harper" program and took notice of Jon as well.
As a coach, I watch the bench as much as I watch the floor.
And as a coach, I know that my family situation relates into my coaching family and the family that comes with my athlete, becomes just as important to me as the kid is..

Jon is good for Kellie.
Both on the hardwood and in the home there seems to be no competition between them and an aura of definite respect for each other.
(This week's program gave a good glimpse into the life of a coach, family and BB).
It is a program I hope the future players like Karoline and (Teoni?) find a way to see.

Can she handle the ball? Literally I care about that more than scoring or rebounding at this point.

No TOs

Striplin plays center in high school and can play the forward spot in college, especially as she adds three-point shooting to her repertoire. Striplin is a physical inside presence who can defend, run the floor and connect from the perimeter. Her “blue collar” attitude is well-suited for Harper’s style of play and mindset, not to mention Striplin’s size fits right in as a Lady Vol.
Karoline Striplin commits to Lady Vols

Big-time rebounder who finishes around the basket; hitting 54% from the field and 77% from the FT stripe:
Karoline Striplin's High School Girls Basketball Stats

Karoline Striplin on Hudl

You know GT, I can concentrate on "me", re basketball for the first time in years.

I did get a lot of fodder condensed into fewer notes for the book.

You know, GT, CHW kept me so intent on keeping this program alive, that I didn't even consider doing anything else, BB speaking.
Working with Meme was set up through her Mom, so the university staff had nothing to do with it,,which by NCAA bylaws make it legal and permissible.
(That will be an interesting chapter, I'm calling it: "2 Years, 200 emails ").
This year, if I don't get to work with a LV, I am going to be able to get into something local.

This is Karoline Striplin's thread, so I'll stop there,,,,

BTW,
Glad it is Coach K's era and she is embracing it.
I watched the "Coach Kellie Harper" program and took notice of Jon as well.
As a coach, I watch the bench as much as I watch the floor.
And as a coach, I know that my family situation relates into my coaching family and the family that comes with my athlete, becomes just as important to me as the kid is..

Jon is good for Kellie.
Both on the hardwood and in the home there seems to be no competition between them and an aura of definite respect for each other.
(This week's program gave a good glimpse into the life of a coach, family and BB).
It is a program I hope the future players like Karoline and (Teoni?) find a way to see.
You worked with Meme, the worst layup shooter in the history of TN? Shame on you for not making her any better! Seriously, as Holly would say, " That speaks Volumes" she might of even been worse her senior year! What did you do to try to correct it? I hated her smirk smile after blowing them too. I loved her, but she should have been yanked for that careless grin after such poor commitment to improving such a glaring weakness. Really why could you not correct it?

Striplin plays center in high school and can play the forward spot in college, especially as she adds three-point shooting to her repertoire. Striplin is a physical inside presence who can defend, run the floor and connect from the perimeter. Her “blue collar” attitude is well-suited for Harper’s style of play and mindset, not to mention Striplin’s size fits right in as a Lady Vol.
Karoline Striplin commits to Lady Vols

Big-time rebounder who finishes around the basket; hitting 54% from the field and 77% from the FT stripe:
Karoline Striplin's High School Girls Basketball Stats

Karoline Striplin on Hudl

Thanks for the links. I really like how she makes a quick post moves -first to get position and then to get a shot off. Of course, it is different in college when the comp is bigger, better and stronger but she at least knows what to do and how to do it coming in. That is a big plus.

You worked with Meme, the worst layup shooter in the history of TN? Shame on you for not making her any better! Seriously, as Holly would say, " That speaks Volumes" she might of even been worse her senior year! What did you do to try to correct it? I hated her smirk smile after blowing them too. I loved her, but she should have been yanked for that careless grin after such poor commitment to improving such a glaring weakness. Really why could you not correct it?

I never got to work with her on skills, (never got the chance) only as a mentor.
Aided her with extending her game as far as variables instead of just being a stopper.
Arguably,she was one of the only ones to advance in her game during that time, while the otheres seemingly declined or didn't grow.

She was the last one cut by the WNBA Atlanta Dream, so she must have been pretty good mentally.
I gave her input like:
  • understanding how to use her speed so it wasn't used against her so much
  • extending her game so she filled the stat sheet in all categories
  • telling her to attack the paint so that her defender would have to give her space, if they crowded her she could blow past them
There's not much more I could have done through emails to and from. Except for the mental aspects of her game and written suggestions on individual skills.

Yes, she needed more hands-on training than she got and I would have loved to have been able to work with her on court with skills, but that was CHW and company's job. Mine was to develop her mental strength and savvy.

She is not a measure of what I can do, only what I can inspire. And you have to admit she was much more inspired in her last two years.

As far as hands on, I would have made her a beast if I had had access to her on practice court.

But like I said, this is Karoline's thread...

There is a recent coach jumper thread...If you want to talk about anything re me, I'd be happy to,,,only not here.

There.

Gl
I never got to work with her on skills, (never got the chance) only as a mentor.
Aided her with extending her game as far as variables instead of just being a stopper.
Arguably,she was one of the only ones to advance in her game during that time, while the otheres seemingly declined or didn't grow.

She was the last one cut by the WNBA Atlanta Dream, so she must have been pretty good mentally.
I gave her input like:
  • understanding how to use her speed so it wasn't used against her so much
  • extending her game so she filled the stat sheet in all categories
  • telling her to attack the paint so that her defender would have to give her space, if they crowded her she could blow past them
There's not much more I could have done through emails to and from. Except for the mental aspects of her game and written suggestions on individual skills.

Yes, she needed more hands-on training than she got and I would have loved to have been able to work with her on court with skills, but that was CHW and company's job. Mine was to develop her mental strength and savvy.

She is not a measure of what I can do, only what I can inspire. And you have to admit she was much more inspired in her last two years.

As far as hands on, I would have made her a beast if I had had access to her on practice court.

But like I said, this is Karoline's thread...

There is a recent coach jumper thread...If you want to talk about anything re me, I'd be happy to,,,only not here.

There.
Glad to know, you know basketball so it really shocked me, knowing you have gone in depth on how to attack basket for a layup, and sadly Meme was a very bad open court layup shooter.

Reactions: VolBall09
Gl

Glad to know, you know basketball so it really shocked me, knowing you have gone in depth on how to attack basket for a layup, and sadly Meme was a very bad open court layup shooter.

Most of them were...Jaime would flip the ball on a layup from her belly instead of extending her arm to full reach...Russell would goose-neck her follow on her jump-hook instead of finishing with a dart-release...Meme we so caught up on being a long-distance gunner that she didn't focus on opening her 3-pt look up with a threat to drive.

I never got to teach any of them,,,if I had it would have been a very different result because I teach from a different angle,,,I use a timing method to show my BB students how to measure their quickness and then start with teaching footwork to increase first-step attacks.

If I had worked with them hands on, I would have shown them how to increase speed by showing them how slow they really were and I would have filmed their layups so I could show them where their mechanical faults were...Then I would have broken down the layup process into the individual phases:

Setup moves-how to attack their "first step"-initiation of the drive-process of motion through the drive-how to step into a full gather before liftoff-footwork and placement during the lift off-placement of feet and initiation of contact on guarded drives-how to reach full extension on the release and how to land in a box-out so they would not land wrong, thereby decreasing the chance of knee/ankle injury

Once they learned the process, I would have worked with them on extending the one-dribble so they could do it from outside the arc easily. Once they learn the whole system, I bring in a 300 pound lineman and let them learn contact-layups.

You realize this isn’t realistic lol people are going to turn the ball over
I chuckled at that, too... and then realized that if the poster had taken a moment to think through their post she/he would have, instead of saying “No TOs” would have said “turned the ball over less.”

Ain’t NOBODY makin’ NO turnovers. Well, not unless they’re pastry chefs on strike.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime
OK guys, just a few thoughts.... I woke up with the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Karoline" playing in my head...I know it's spelled Caroline, but this song is perfect for her....At TBA this song will have to be played.....

Did a little film study on Sara Puckett, Karoline's teammate.....She's another 6'2 forward shooting/scoring demon too....She holds an offer from the LV's, along with over 17 others major colleges...She's a player!

Now, add in little sister Key, who is another 6'3 terror on the inside...She's also a bomber from the outside, and you have the makings of Lady Vol dominance for years to come....

If these other 2 awesome talents come here, along with Destiny Salary, Tess Darby, and Karoline Striplin, we may all become serial smilers.....Even Darth would not be able to hide his big smile....

Things are lookin up on Rocky Top.....Yes sir ree Bob, really lookin up!

OK guys, just a few thoughts.... I woke up with the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Karoline" playing in my head...I know it's spelled Caroline, but this song is perfect for her....At TBA this song will have to be played.....

Did a little film study on Sara Puckett, Karoline's teammate.....She's another 6'2 forward shooting/scoring demon too....She holds an offer from the LV's, along with over 17 others major colleges...She's a player!

Now, add in little sister Key, who is another 6'3 terror on the inside...She's also a bomber from the outside, and you have the makings of Lady Vol dominance for years to come....

If these other 2 awesome talents come here, along with Destiny Salary, Tess Darby, and Karoline Striplin, we may all become serial smilers.....Even Darth would not be able to hide his big smile....

Things are lookin up on Rocky Top.....Yes sir ree Bob, really lookin up!

GameTime, I was living in Orange County, California, during the summer of 1983 when my all-time favorite did an eight night stand at the Forum in Los Angeles; got to see him TWICE! He’s the best.
I sang that song (in cautious, yet hopeful anticipation) throughout the day yesterday. My 4-1/2, and seven-year-old grandsons were not impressed! I played it for my beautiful daughter-in-law - a UGA and Mercer grad, and even told her about this incredible guy, Neil Diamond, who composed the song.

So, I’m with you all the way on playing it at TBA! Would be an Awesome GameTime theme, huh?
Cheers.

Reactions: GameTime
Congrats to Karoline's parents and kudos for raising such a fine daughter...described as "humble, talented, competitive, and team-oriented."

Both parents were athletes at Auburn. Karie played softball from 2000-2002, and Jim Bob was a quarterback from 1997-99.

VN Store

Back