'19 Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia State Pregame/Game Thread

Agree. We should’ve been able to just sit in the base defense and just stop that play all day. We really missed bituli in that aspect.
Base defense where players know their position and assignment. Sounds great, you want the job?

You literally had Jeremy banks playing LB in a close game...... he has no idea how to play that position. How is that not a bigger concern? Lol
Yeah obviously a bigger concern than an OL that can’t do better than 3.1 ypc against Georgia State and a DL full of nobodies getting blown off the ball all game 🙄

Yeah obviously a bigger concern than an OL that can’t do better than 3.1 ypc against Georgia State and a DL full of nobodies getting blown off the ball all game 🙄

The OL wasn’t that bad. We broke a 30 yard Td run where chandler went untouched. JG had plenty of opportunities to tuck and run bc they funneled the pocket around him. OL is the least of our issues. Our play calling was boring and basic and showed no creativity. Thank god we had a blown coverage to DWA to give us a chance in the game.

Reactions: eVOLve
The OL wasn’t that bad. We broke a 30 yard Td run where chandler went untouched. JG had plenty of opportunities to tuck and run bc they funneled the pocket around him. OL is the least of our issues. Our play calling was boring and basic and showed no creativity. Thank god we had a blown coverage to DWA to give us a chance in the game.
The defense is my biggest concern. Which is crazy because I thought it would be heading in the right direction considering that's Pruitt's area of expertise.

Reactions: overseasorange2
That’s the dumbest s*** you’ve ever posted on VN, man. Take out that one run by Chandler and JGs runs and we ran the ball 20 times for 70 yards. Against an opponent like GSU, that is absolutely a mugger problem.

I get that you come from a baseball background, but you really need to learn about play in the trenches. Hell maybe you really do know the OL and DL are our biggest problems but are just too committed to your hot takes to admit when you’re wrong.

Reactions: chavisut
The defense is my biggest concern. Which is crazy because I thought it would be heading in the right direction considering that's Pruitt's area of expertise.
The substitutions were infuriating at times too. How do you keep letting them catch you with too many/too few guys on the field or let them snap the ball before you can get lined up?

Reactions: JacketVol
Yea effort is key. I got flamed for blaming the last two games effort on Pruitt last year but it looked like the same team.

It also looks bad that we have signs on our practice field talking about how hot it is in Gainesville then we go out and get drug by Ga state.

Agree today. Coach is a problem. He sucks.

That’s the dumbest s*** you’ve ever posted on VN, man. Take out that one run by Chandler and JGs runs and we ran the ball 20 times for 70 yards. Against an opponent like GSU, that is absolutely a mugger problem.

I get that you come from a baseball background, but you really need to learn about play in the trenches. Hell maybe you really do know the OL and DL are our biggest problems but are just too committed to your hot takes to admit when you’re wrong.

I’m talking in terms of the game yesterday. The OL wasn’t bad yesterday. It wasn’t some mauling unit like the eagles or cowboys. It sounds like you are expecting us to line up run iso and OT power and just be able to blow people back like there isn’t another team on the field.

They stacked the box and we had a high school level run game plan. Where was one play we were creative with? Did we do any unbalanced lines? Did we do any options or mis directions? We did absolutely nothing creative in that department.

It’s no secret that we have an average OL. But when your coaches refuse to do anything creative or out of the ordinary to help them then they don’t get better. Especially when they are playing a different position every pracfice and scrimmage.

The substitutions were infuriating at times too. How do you keep letting them catch you with too many/too few guys on the field or let them snap the ball before you can get lined up?
It makes zero sense. I think Pruitt made a mistake by not setting players to their primary positions early in camp so they can grow and learn. He keeps switching players to different position and with as limited as practices are these days, you can't waste time like that. Now we are in a spot where players know a little bit about everything but not a lot about their primary roll. Disappointing to see.

It makes zero sense. I think Pruitt made a mistake by not setting players to their primary positions early in camp so they can grow and learn. He keeps switching players to different position and with as limited as practices are these days, you can't waste time like that. Now we are in a spot where players know a little bit about everything but not a lot about their primary roll. Disappointing to see.

Especially on the OL. It’s crazy. Tackle and guard require two totally different players
aNd body types. It’s honestly some high school sh** to treat the OL as one position and shuffle players around that much.

I’m talking in terms of the game yesterday. The OL wasn’t bad yesterday. It wasn’t some mauling unit like the eagles or cowboys. It sounds like you are expecting us to line up run iso and OT power and just be able to blow people back like there isn’t another team on the field.

They stacked the box and we had a high school level run game plan. Where was one play we were creative with? Did we do any unbalanced lines? Did we do any options or mis directions? We did absolutely nothing creative in that department.

You are really out of your element here, dude. Try to be intellectually honest with yourself and look past your need to justify your bid against Chaney and defend your hot takes. GSU gave up 6.5 ypc last season. They’re not a team you have to be creative against to average more than 3.5 ypc against.

The OL was absolutely bad in the run game yesterday. They had little to no push and we still had guys whiffing on blocks far too often.

I’ll give it to you that they were more solid in pas pro than we saw last year and they did at least have fewer mental mistakes and penalties than a year ago.

But they still couldn't open a running lane to save their lives. If Gray hadn’t made the first man miss every time he carried the ball, we probably would have averaged closer to 2.5 ypc.

Especially on the OL. It’s crazy. Tackle and guard require two totally different players
aNd body types. It’s honestly some high school sh** to treat the OL as one position and shuffle players around that much.
I know Pruitt probably wants to redshirt a few of these freshman but we might need to get them out on the field sooner than later. If he has any fiber of common sense and awareness, he needs to quit rotating players in different positions and set the lineup and do as many live reps in practice as he can to get these guys comfortable and understand what is going on.

You are really out of your element here, dude. Try to be intellectually honest with yourself and look past your need to justify your bid against Chaney and defend your hot takes. GSU gave up 6.5 ypc last season. They’re not a team you have to be creative against to average more than 3.5 ypc against.

The OL was absolutely bad in the run game yesterday. They had little to no push and we still had guys whiffing on blocks far too often.

I’ll give it to you that they were more solid in pas pro than we saw last year and they did at least have fewer mental mistakes and penalties than a year ago.

But they still couldn't open a running lane to save their lives. If Gray hadn’t made the first man miss every time he carried the ball, we probably would have averaged closer to 2.5 ypc.
OL isn’t the only factor in YPC.... see Trent Richardson or Eddie George in the nfl.

Get rid of Friend and let Chaney work with the WHOLE unit. None of that switching up bull. Also tired of them cross training linemen, keep them where they are and train them at that position. This cross training crap hasn't worked in the last 2-3 years or longer we have tried it.

Maybe, maybe not. I think you can attract a very good, established head coach but you have to pay insane amounts of money. And when you think about it, we paid Butch what $8 mil/ year?
No...total buyout of 8 mil remaining on his contract. $200k a month until Feb 2021.

Jesus, we had a freshman running back in there on pass protection during a major play. Wtf was this staff doing? It's like they were intentionally coaching stupid.

Jesus, we had a freshman running back in there on pass protection during a major play. Wtf was this staff doing? It's like they were intentionally coaching stupid.

I get that feeling too. It's a bizarre approach for the sake of a teachable moment? Is this addressed somewhere in the canon of coaching ethics?

VN Store

Back