'19 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pregame/Game Thread

The optimism is amazing. And blind optimism at best.

Florida is 3-0. It’s in their stadium.

Tennessee is 1-2 with a loss to Ga. State. They are who they are.

Could they win? Sure.

Is it likely - no. The stats in nearly every category that counts say UF is better.

But that’s why they play the games.

I just don’t have the blind optimism.

I need to see it. Been burned too many times.
I’m in full blind optimism mode. Bought orange washer fluid today, just because. Vols squeak out in an ugly win!

I’m wondering if we take a shot on play 1 the way Chaney did against MSU a couple years ago with the flea flicker. That set the tone for the entire game.

From PFF regarding Trask:

"Kyle Trask took 16 dropbacks on Saturday and threw two turnover-worthy throws on 15 attempts. Over his career, he has 42 pass attempts and has earned a below-average grade"
Exactly. He has 0 ints, but in reality could have a handful. His turnover worthy% of snaps is quite high.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
I’ve come to the realization that we’re going win Saturday. 50+ yard FG for the win.

CA8ADB62-F118-4E39-8466-022038027410.jpeg
i remember wearing a drain the swamp shirt. florida fans behind me were making fun...

then Erik hit that long pass.

UF fan literally cried after Wilhoit hit true. i loved it. loudest ive heard neyland.

View attachment 225752
i remember wearing a drain the swamp shirt. florida fans behind me were making fun...

then Erik hit that long pass.

UF fan literally cried after Wilhoit hit true. i loved it. loudest ive heard neyland.
Should have done it that way in 2015. Cimaglia will get it done.

I’m wondering if we take a shot on play 1 the way Chaney did against MSU a couple years ago with the flea flicker. That set the tone for the entire game.
Don’t want to see that. Pound it. Handoff to Gray or Ty and let’s get our OL in the game right away.

Now, first 3rd Down play? Double reverse pass to JG and give him 6. Hehe

Stole the idea from VQ but here is my take on the matchups in the game on Saturday:

If this were any other team, we would not be anywhere near this afraid of the game on Saturday. That’s a fact. In reality, I think this has been the biggest stumbling block in the Vols/Gators series. It isn’t that they are so much better than us, they aren’t, its that our team enters the game hoping to win while they expect to win. There is a lack of confidence that has to change if we are ever going to reverse the fortunes in this series.

But the fact is, this Florida team, no matter what the rankings say, is not a top 10 team. They are very fortunate to be 3-0 and not 1-3 just like us. They have done what they seem to always do, which is find a way to win even when they aren’t very good. They may do that again on Saturday as they have done in 2014, 2015, and 2017. This is a close game on paper, just as it was in those 3 years, years which the Vols should have won, but the Gators found a way to win in the end, mostly because of mistakes by Tennessee.

The Matchups:

When Florida Runs:

Florida is not good at running the football. In fact, they’re terrible at running the football. And if they hadn’t ran the ball in garbage time and racked up stats against UT Martin, they would look even worse in the stat department in running the football. Against Miami, FL ran for 50 yards. Against UK, the Gators ran for 138 yards. That sounds really good, until you actually investigate that stat. The last FL play of the game was a run, where KY blew it defensively, and FL picked up 76 yards on that one play. Without that run, the Gators ran for a measly 62 yards against Kentucky.

Now, nobody is arguing that the Vols are the 85 bears. The weakest part of the Volunteer defense has been defending the run. Yet, there are questions there. First, how much of that is fool’s gold? Yes, GSU ran for a lot of yards. But go back to that game and ask, how much of that was due to all of the ridiculous lineup issues that we had on defense in that game? In fact, that was story, defensively, from that game, how much we struggled to line up and GSU took advantage of it. BYU only ran for 107 yards against us, and that with a much better offensive line than Florida in this writer’s opinion. Further, the Vols get much needed help defensively with Daniel Bituli back on defense. This should take care of the lineup issues as well as add a playmaker in the middle of the defense. I don’t expect the Vols to be completely different against the run, but they will stop this FL team from running the ball. I’d be shocked if FL achieved 100 yards on the ground on Saturday. Won’t happen, in my opinion. And I would argue, that if we were playing Florida Tech with the same players, most would agree with this assessment.

Edge: Tennessee

When Florida Passes:

This is the most difficult matchup to project in my opinion. The reason is, we just do not know what we are getting out of Florida’s Quarterback Kyle Trask. This is a kid who hasn’t started a football game since he was a freshman in high school. That is unbelievable to me. Further, does Emory Jones play some? Only Dan Mullen knows the answer to that. What are we going to get out of their passing attack? Kyle Trask looked really good against UK when he came in. There is a caveat to that however, in that UK had stopped brining pressure and was playing soft coverage as they entered a “play not to lose” mode against Florida because they had the lead. Therefore, we haven’t seen Kyle Trask with pressure in his face and thus we do not know how he will react to said pressure. He did see the field well and he delivered accurate balls to his receivers. In fact, he’s probably a better passer than Felipe Franks.

To add to that, the best part of Florida’s offense are their wide receivers. They have ballers at that position who have good speed and playmaking ability. The Volunteer secondary will be tested.

The Vols meanwhile, rank 23rd in passing defense, but I don’t think there is much to take from that. We’ve played GSU, who ran successfully for most of game, and Chattanooga who, well, is Chattanooga. BYU passed for 232 yards against us, albeit 64 yards of that was due to Alontae Taylor’s defensive bust in the 4th quarter. So Tennessee has looked pretty good against the pass thus far, but we haven’t played a team with the skill players of Florida. Their receivers are far better and much faster than those of BYU. Further, the Vols are shuffling their corners around as it seems that Alontae Taylor is in the doghouse after having a sophomore slump. Warren Burrell has also made a number of mistakes in coverage as well which has led to some receivers being left very open. Further, does Bryce Thompson play? If so, how does he perform in his first game of the season? These are questions which make this difficult to project.

The positive aspect of Tennessee’s pass defense is their ability to rush the passer. While the Vol’s defensive line has been disappointing to say the least, Tennessee has been able to rush the passer successfully in their blitz packages. Tennessee sacked BYU’s QB 4 times and hurried him another 7. Again, I believe that the BYU offensive line is much better than Florida’s so I believe that TN will have success rushing the passer on Saturday. How will Trask react to pressure? That is anyone’s guess.

Edge: Slightly Florida

When Tennessee Runs:

This is yet another matchup that is difficult to project. Tennessee has been very good at running the football so far this year. But is that fool’s gold? It doesn’t matter what we did against GSU and Chattanooga, even though it is true that in years past we haven’t even been able to run the ball against teams like this. The Vols also ran for 242 yards against BYU which has a decent defensive front, but they also play in a 3-3-5 defense which is not what Tennessee will see on Saturday. Further, they do not have the athletes at linebacker that Florida has which made it easier for Tennessee to get the edge against them.

But, the Vols do have the best offensive line they have had in years. On that line is a lot of size and a lot of guys who are capable of running over defenses. In fact, its what they do best. Tennessee will try hard to establish the run behind this new look offensive line on Saturday. Running the ball are two very good running backs as well in Chandler and Gray.

Florida, on the other hand, ranks 35th in the country in rushing defense, by far the toughest test we have faced up until this point from an offensive perspective. They are very stout at the line of scrimmage against the run. Tennessee will have to have success in the passing game in order to open up the run.

Edge: Florida

When Tennessee Passes:

It is no secret that Jarrett Guarantano has been playing the worst football of his career this season. This is a shocking development being that he is a redshirt junior and is arguably receiving the best coaching of his career from Jim Chaney. He has been off this season in ways that he has been strong in the past. Coming in, everyone knew that getting the ball out quickly and reading the defense were his biggest weaknesses. But, he also had strengths. Last year Guarantano was very accurate with the football and he also took care of the ball only having 3 interceptions on the year. This season it appears that he is trying to do too much and is forcing the ball into double and triple coverage. He has already had multiple interceptions and should have had several more. There is no question that if JG plays like he did last year, the Vols would have beaten a pretty good BYU team by multiple touchdowns. Alas, he had one of the worst performances of his entire career and the Vols ended up losing. However, it does appear that JG gained some confidence against Chattanooga. How much can we take from that performance is yet to be seen.

But, the strength of the Volunteer football team are the wide receivers. The Vols have dudes at the receiver position and they can and will make plays against this banged up Florida secondary if their quarterback can give them the opportunity.

As to Florida, their pass defense ranks 70th in the country. That is very surprising considering they have faced two very inexperienced QB’s in Miami’s Williams and Kentucky’s Smith. Their secondary has greatly struggled this year, partly because their best corner, Henderson, has been injured. There is a chance that he doesn’t play Saturday either and Florida will be missing their starting safety for the first half as well. Further, their best edge rusher, Zuniga is also banged up and will not practice this week. It is yet to be stated whether or not he will play.

It’s no secret that JG has to play better in order to have success passing the football on Saturday. We all know he is better than he showed in the BYU game. For this reason, and Florida’s injuries, I believe that Tennessee’s receivers will make plays against this Gator secondary.

Edge: Slightly Tennessee

Special Teams:

This one isn’t even up for debate.

Edge: Tennessee

Who’s going to win? On paper, it is anyone’s game in my opinion. If this were Florida Tech, with the same Florida players, I think we’d be a lot more confident in a win. But, it is Florida, and there is history. Tennessee has to play this game believing and expecting the win and not hoping to win. If they do that, they can win. Barring turnovers like last year, this game should be a game that comes down to the wire in the 4th quarter just as 4 of the last 5 games have been.

It’s a noon kick, the Vols are improving and, I believe, they’re mad. Vols change the narrative of the season on Saturday and win 24-20.

Bring on the debate but no trolling allowed. Tell me where you think I’m wrong and where you agree.

I will not be so long winded..

This game goes as JG goes..

If he somehow plays well, I think we win unless the defense goes into vaporlock mode..

If he goes Peterman again, we are going to get slaughtered again..

A lot of us have ZERO confidence that he will play well, hence why we think we lose...

Change my mind..

Reactions: Easttnken
Came in to say Thanks for all the kind words. Today starts the hard part. The viewing from 4-8:30 PM then to tomorrow at 1 is the Celebration service and we are afraid that we aren't going to be able to get everyone on. It holds 600 but from the response I am a little concerned about having enough room. They are coming from all over, TN, GA, FL, NC, AL, MS, KY, LA, TX, OK, SC, VA, and I am not sure I covered them all. The response has been amazing and a bit overwhelming. I have put together this Celebration service and I am blown away with who the speakers are and the group coming to sing.

Saturday's game will be a welcome relief for me. Just hope we surprise ourselves and play out of our minds for 60 mins. Again, Thank you all for the kind words and GBO!!!!!!

I will not be so long winded..

This game goes as JG goes..

If he somehow plays well, I think we win unless the defense goes into vaporlock mode..

If he goes Peterman again, we are going to get slaughtered again..

A lot of us have ZERO confidence that he will play well, hence why we think we lose...

Change my mind..

Unfortunately, the game mostly goes as your QB performs. He just doesn’t seem to know the position that well. Trask threw the ball better in the 4th and anticipated his throws better than JG has in his time here.

Unfortunately, the game mostly goes as your QB performs. He just doesn’t seem to know the position that well. Trask threw the ball better in the 4th and anticipated his throws better than JG has in his time here.
Ya he didn't look horrible, but having your first start in years against an SEC team and a rival rarely goes well. I'm guessing this game will be very low scoring, which kind of favors us since our kicker is so good.

Although the backup QB curse is a real thing so he'll probably kick off his Heisman campaign Saturday with 5 TD and 400 yards.

don't know about that. but if you go back to that 2015 game, we had a really good game plan, until the last 3 minutes.

i think it revolves around being as aggressive as we CAN be whilst not putting ourselves in a position to make big mistakes....and just don't pucker up.

no idea if we go trick play like we did in that game, but i think we're going to have do some things that are a little outside our comfort zone.

my biggest worry about this game is how much Mullen decides to do with Trask. they say all the right things, but how much does he really trust him? can we force him to make a mistake or two? get him uncomfortable?

i think Mullen is going to try to confuse us on Defense and take advantage of the youth we have up front...get them looking around, bad eyes. that's what i'd want to do. bituli and HT and Warrior are going to be very important in getting things lined up and diagnosing pre snap...

offensively, we need to be somewhat patient in the run game. and find ways to get gray and chandler in space. i think all three backs see action this weekend. and i think Pope lining up in the backfield as an H back/full back is the david reese neutralizier.....

i'im excited about this game. still not overly confident we pull out a w, but i do think we'll see another effort worthy of some praise by the end...and if it's a game in the 4th quarter, who knows? just can't go out and lay an egg.

but, if you really want to make my weekend, just go ahead and roll the gators and ruin their season. i mean, is that too much to ask? kick/punt returns for TD's, turnovers that lead to scores... i mean...can we not just go down there and beat the s**t out of them for once?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Easttnken

VN Store

Back