'19 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pregame/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, September 21st
Game Time: 12:00 pm ET
Venue: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FL
Network: TBD
1568573182739.png

Tennessee finally notched their first win of the season, albeit 2 weeks late, on Saturday against Chattanooga. This week, they have their first road trip of the season with a trip to the Swamp. There was a time when this was the marquee match-up in college football for the week, but those days are long gone with the Vols continuing to languish in a decade of rebuilding and Florida being perpetually one or two steps ahead of the Vols. Let's see how things look for an early 12:00 pm kick-off.

Keys to Victory:

1. The Better QB: With Feliepe Franks out for the season, Kyle Trask is a virtually unknown player coming into this week, with just a bit of film available from the Kentucky game. He performed pretty well, going 9-13 for 126 yards. I don't think he gives Florida as much as a running threat, but I've never been a fan of Franks, who was posting nearly identical numbers as JG this season before his injury. I would look for better passing from Trask but how he reacts under pressure is anyone's guess.

JG needs to be at his best, because it's going to take his best to beat Florida. If he is late on his passes, Florida will make him pay. If he doesn't have good pocket awareness and gives up sacks/fumbles, those are mistakes we can't afford. Ultimately, we need to win the edge at the QB position and Chaney will need to utilize the RB's in the passing game and incorporate quick reads to get the ball out of JG"s hands as quick as possible.

Don't look now... but Tennessee is ranked 14th nationally in pass defense... Florida is 59th.

2. The Better Running Game: Edge... clearly in Tennessee's favor. The winner of this stat typically wins the game, turnovers being equal. Tennessee is averaging 176.7 yards per game compared to Florida's 139.7. Leading rusher Lamical Perine is averaging 40 yards per game which leaves a lot to be desired. Eric Gray and Ty Chandler should be able to provide a clear advantage thought Florida will be the best defensive front we have faced to date. The Florida rushing defense is 30th in the nation giving up only a stingy 93.7 yards per game. Tennessee will need to tilt that to at least 150 to be in the game.

3. Under Pressure: Essentially, the ability of each OL and each DL to create or resist pressure is key. The Tennessee DL has done little to get pressure on the opposing QB's and Pruitt will need to dial up exotic blitz packages to help the DB's from having to cover a guy for more than 7 seconds. On the other hand, the Florida DL has done a good job getting pressure on the opposing QB's.

4. Turnovers: Tennessee had a great chance at beating Florida last year... and proceeded to turn the ball over as quickly and often as possible. In a game that has recently seen little separation between the two teams, Tennessee absolutely cannot afford to lose this battle, and would be much better +2 in the turnover category.

5. No Breakdowns: A tale as old as time... Tennessee carries the lead into the final seconds of the game... and proceeds to have an inexplicable breakdown cost them the game. It's already happened this season. It happens far too often against Florida. Let's not do that this week.

Prediction: Tennessee comes in tight and can't get on track and Florida plays loose. JG continues to play frustrating football and Florida's defensive line provides the needed edge over Tennessee's defensive line. Every year I convince myself we will win this game, but not this year.

TN 10
FL 20

Our D line gets zero push. Trask eats.

Our offensive line struggles to block their D line.

We give up too many explosive plays.

20-17 gators. Yuck.

Reactions: Catbone
Florida is absolute garbage this year.

That tells you where we are.

Jorts - 35
Go Away Haslam - 17

My head says Fl but my heart says Vols.

When I look at this Fl team, they are not good. They’re not. They’re running game is bad, their OL is really bad, and their defense is average. Their DL is good, but their secondary with the injuries they’ve had is nothing special. But, they’re playing us, and they will enter the game with 100% confidence while our upperclassmen will be nervous as usual which ultimately leads to bad decisions.

But I’m gonna pick TN to win. Here’s why:

First: I think the coaching staff have had this game circled. This is the game to them imo. I believe that Chaney will have an excellent game plan and Pruitt knows Mehlen well. Coaches will have our team ready.

Second: we’re not as bad as we thought we were. I’m not basing that off of Chattanooga, but off of BYU. If JG plays average, just average, in that game we blow BYU out. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. And BYU just beat a pretty good USC team. That tells me that the Vols might be a decent team with some bad luck so far. Now, I’m not saying JG is great, he’s not. But he is better than he has shown this season thus far. We don’t need him to be great. We just need him to take care of the football and give our receivers a chance to make plays against this Fl secondary. He can do that. And our receivers can make plays.

Third: Franks is out. Tho he wasn’t any good, I have a hard time believing that Trask is better. If he were, Mehlen would’ve started him. I think his success against KY is because they went into playing not to lose mode and gave them soft coverage. Vols won’t do that. We’ll see how he looks under pressure. I fully expect Jones to come in before the end of the game to add a running threat because Trask won’t move the ball that well against our defense.

Fourth: 7 sacks against BYU. Their QB is more mobile and their OL is better than Fl’s. We’ll bring pressure.

Fifth: our defense will be much better with the addition of Bituli and hopefully Thompson

Sixth: we can run the football. We have better skill players than them on offense that can make plays.

Now, if we pee down our leg like we normally do against Fl none of this will matter. It might take more recruiting to get over that fear because our upperclassmen are so used to losing and blowing it. But if we play our best game and take care of the football we can beat them.

Going with my heart:
Vols 24
FL: 20

Sooner or later things have to go our way in this game, right? Right? Of course, they will be starting a backup QB against us - that usually turns out bad - so who knows...

Been saying we beat them for about a decade for basically no reason.

Wonder if the elementary school kid from Orlando will be there?

GBO 19
FU UF 17

VN Store

Back