Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

So. . . if someone who speaks Russian moves to the US and learns to speak English from a southern US person, would they still have a Russian accent or would they sound like the person who taught them English?
My Russian friend learned English in Russia, but has lived in the southern US for almost 20 years. He has a Russian accent, but not a southern drawl. He does use southern expressions, but still a thick Russian accent.

Idk. . . it seems that, if a Russian speaking person moved to the US and they learned English from someone who only speaks english, they wouldn't have a Russian accent. . .

@Jackcrevol probably knows. . . otherwise I may be kidnapping a Russian, or any foreign language speaking hooker, and teaching them English to see what happens. . . unless someone knows an easier way to find out. . . I'm really curious about this for some reason.

Maybe the memory of the way they move their mouth and tongue to speak Russian words would effect how they pronounce English. It just seems that they'd sound like the person who taught them. . . anyway, guess ima little bored this evening.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I hope it's that simple but 4 people is a lot of people to stab to death. Usually when it's the ex bf/gf it's gun violence with people who just happened to be present getting shot. Stabbing requires a lot more effort and is just different. I would think the suspect did it while they slept and if that's true - why kill all of them? The FBI is coming in to assist so they're at least exploring the possibility of serial killer or spree killer, imo.
From what ive seen.... They were probably asleep, but I think they were drunk and came in at different times. Theres videos of 2 of them at one location and 2 at another. Imo the biggest monkey wrench is why did the 2 roommates upstairs not hear or do anything, and why did it take them so long to call the police.

Reactions: UTProf
I can honestly say I've never been with a prostitute.

And who am I to judge if you've had a little or a lot of Charlie Sheen in you? I had no idea he went both ways like that, but I don't judge. You let your freak flag fly.
Lots of people knew Charlie went both ways.

I loved Twitter back in the day - before it got big and used politically (& co-opted). I deleted my account, but still miss it for sports & for some entertainment - there were some VERY funny people on it back in the day (they may still be on there but the political polution & censorship/algorithm is too much for me).
It lacks all nuance. 280 characters encourages shallow treatment of every subject. Unsurprisingly, people eat it up.

Idk. . . it seems that, if a Russian speaking person moved to the US and they learned English from someone who only speaks english, they wouldn't have a Russian accent. . .

@Jackcrevol probably knows. . . otherwise I may be kidnapping a Russian, or any foreign language speaking hooker, and teaching them English to see what happens. . . unless someone knows an easier way to find out. . . I'm really curious about this for some reason.

Maybe the memory of the way they move their mouth and tongue to speak Russian words would effect how they pronounce English. It just seems that they'd sound like the person who taught them. . . anyway, guess ima little bored this evening.
Several Russian/Ukrainians who moved here to NE TN. None of them have lost their accents. Asheville NC might as well be Little Moscow. All sound like Boris Badenhov.

Several Russian/Ukrainians who moved here to NE TN. None of them have lost their accents. Asheville NC might as well be Little Moscow. All sound like Boris Badenhov.

Before puberty, lose accent. After puberty, no lose accent.

You never did answer whether you got food at Longhorns last night.

Whatever, all you all being holier than thou. When I was young (and even occasionally now, at 51), I had to beat the girls off with a stick. Still, I had a little Charlie Sheen in me (don't try to make that funny, @Weezer ) and I would sometimes employ a working girl, just for the hell of it. I can't be the only one on VN that has, can I ? Maybe, the only one to admit it
1668828348336.gif

Whatever, all you all being holier than thou. When I was young (and even occasionally now, at 51), I had to beat the girls off with a stick. Still, I had a little Charlie Sheen in me (don't try to make that funny, @Weezer ) and I would sometimes employ a working girl, just for the hell of it. I can't be the only one on VN that has, can I ? Maybe, the only one to admit it
Uh, I just dated around. Then got engaged and married, call me old fashioned.

Reactions: Glitch and VOLSONLY
I look forward to see what Musk can do with Twitter. I like some of his ideas. I don’t like his ideas to pay for verification and possibly making it a pay to use platform overall.. but I do think his ideas overall will be interesting.
Some sort of pay service is probably the only way to keep advertisers from dictating who can be on the platform based on who is pressuring the advertisers. We'll see what he comes up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Some sort of pay service is probably the only way to keep advertisers from dictating who can be on the platform based on who is pressuring the advertisers. We're see what he comes up with.

He’s gonna have to figure out a way to make money without relying on ads for sure. I don’t remember their numbers but I remember they haven’t made money in a while. Idk how he does it, the pay for verification feels most plausible, but he will see a HUGE decline in users if they all the sudden have to pay a monthly fee to use a social media app. He’s going to have to find a balance of keeping it a free tool but with some upgradable things you pay for. The two things I hope he stays away from are: making the application a pay to use service overall, and using whatever he does make users pay for as a plus in part of the algorithm. I don’t want to see a bunch of users tweets first because they paid a bunch of money. If he ends up doing this, then guess what, the application is now geared towards non traditional advertising because the regular user isn’t going to be boosting tweets and their profile unless they want clout or are advertising something.

I do think he’s a smart enough guy to know these things and to improve the app though so not all that worried about whatever he does decide to do.

Chill out, pal 😁

Thanks for using a comma, sport.

bye-buddy-hope-you-find-your-dad.gif

VN Store

Back