Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Some people just don’t appreciate the grit of Memphis
I dated a University of Memphis cheerleader and she got carjacked twice in her 4 years there. I also had two college roommates and multiple teammates from Memphis. They loved their hometown, but also had more personal horror stories than anyone from anywhere else on the team. I suppose it's where in Memphis you live, and what side of the tracks you're from.

I dated a University of Memphis cheerleader and she got carjacked twice in her 4 years there. I also had two college roommates and multiple teammates from Memphis. They loved their hometown, but also had more personal horror stories than anyone from anywhere else on the team. I suppose it's where in Memphis you live, and what side of the tracks you're from.

My cousin lived in a nicer part of Chattanooga and experienced repeated break-ins before finally moving about 5 years ago. And that's not an anomaly. It's strange how people disparage Memphis, but act like Nooga is shangri-la.

My cousin lived in a nicer part of Chattanooga and experienced repeated break-ins before finally moving about 5 years ago. And that's not an anomaly. It's strange how people disparage Memphis, but act like Nooga is shangri-la.
I don't vibe with Chat either. I used to shoot down to Hamilton Place Mall a lot when I was at Sewanee, but never had any desire to do more than that.

I love the culture and feel of Memphis. There are some who believe Memphis has the potential to be the next it city in a decade. I wish Tennesseans would stop disparaging her and acting like Memphis isn’t a part of our great state. Hell, I’ve seen parts of Chattanooga every bit as bad as the bad parts of Memphis.
Kinda like Chicago, I've always thought if it as thug heaven. When I spent a couple days there I was surprised how clean it is and I never felt in danger.

I lived in Memphis for 22 years and loved it. I love to listen to live music and had a great time. Just like most cities of any size and you know where to avoid.

Never once saw anything bad first hand and I’ve always been single so I was out there.
I witnessed a drive by shooting when I lived in Memphis. It was on 240 close to Airways Blvd. Lot's of bad sh^t happens in Memphis. They have over 300 murders a year and that was 25 years ago

Kinda like Chicago, I've always thought if it as thug heaven. When I spent a couple days there I was surprised how clean it is and I never felt in danger.

Every city has some rough areas. Although Chicago got lots of bad politically motivated publicity 2016-2020 that led to the perception, the homicide rate was lower than early 90s and not in the top ten in the US. There were other cities even in the south with worse murder rates. There was more struggle resulting from protest and pandemic related business closures but 2022 has trended back down.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

My wife used to live in Chicago. The really bad areas are so far away from anywhere a tourist would be. I love that city. Probably been there around 30 times

Don’t know which “nicer” area he lived in, but I’ve lived in 3 different places in the Chattanooga area over the past 60 years and have never had anything stolen nor been broken-in. I’ve lived in the same place in Ooltewah for the past 34 years and regularly forget to lock the doors of the house and cars. I’m sure there are some rough areas with crime but I’ve not experienced any- knock on wood.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Yeah, I just made it up🙄. It's used all the time in the Hip Hop world by people and artists all over the country.

Don’t know which “nicer” area he lived in, but I’ve lived in 3 different places in the Chattanooga area over the past 60 years and have never had anything stolen nor been broken-in. I’ve lived in the same place in Ooltewah for the past 34 years and regularly forget to lock the doors of the house and cars. I’m sure there are some rough areas with crime but I’ve not experienced any- knock on wood.
Chattanooga is now a homeless Mecca for some reason. It's turning into a 3rd world country. Or California.

It's becoming a filthy eyesore, and our local politicians seem to be encouraging it. It's truly baffling.

Chattanooga is now a homeless Mecca for some reason. It's turning into a 3rd world country. Or California.

It's becoming a filthy eyesore, and our local politicians seem to be encouraging it. It's truly baffling.
It is not that baffling...Chattanooga started whoring after those lefty types decades ago, and now they are paying the price.

Huh I was in downtown Chatt for a full day a couple weeks ago, didn't see one.

Reactions: MarcoVol

Why don’t you just say you hate poor people and call it a day

Why don’t you just say you hate poor people and call it a day

Homelessness doesn't equal poverty. People have been poor forever, but cities being overrun with homeless is a relatively new thing.

Last home game I sat next to a clearly homeless guy at the bar at Tupelo Honey. He paid by peeling a $100 bill off of a 3" thick roll of bills.

VN Store

Back