Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterpoint, what if he stated what we should think about himself by speaking in human language and having it written down for the record?
Are you referring to the Torah, the Upanishads, the Vedas, the Koran, or the Bible?
All of which portray incidents of direct-from-God transmission concerning the nature of the universe.

Whoa! a lot of Bible stuff in here today. As a student (and, in my past, a teacher of history, religion, world culture ls, etc) of religions, history, and cultures, my belief is that anyone who believes in a literal translation of the Bible is putting more faith in man than in a diety. There are more discrepancies in the translation of the texts than the counting of the loose Chad's in the 2000 election.
And that is not even getting into the Gospels that weren't included in the Bible or the process of canonizing texts (or the practices of the church from the mid-300s to the present where it is more of a political and financial power than an actual preserver of the teachings of Christ and his didciples).

Whoa! a lot of Bible stuff in here today. As a student (and, in my past, a teacher of history, religion, world culture ls, etc) of religions, history, and cultures, my belief is that anyone who believes in a literal translation of the Bible is putting more faith in man than in a diety. There are more discrepancies in the translation of the texts than the counting of the loose Chad's in the 2000 election.
And that is not even getting into the Gospels that weren't included in the Bible or the process of canonizing texts (or the practices of the church from the mid-300s to the present where it is more of a political and financial power than an actual preserver of the teachings of Christ and his didciples).
Yes, thank you. Sometimes just good, common sense can take you a long way.

Must. Resist. The. Urge.

Must. Resist. The. Urge.
Don't resist. I've read the Bible many times, different versions, All man-made and chosen by man. Why not the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Truth, the Gospel of Mary, etc, etc, etc.?
Faith is Faith. Faith without doubt isn't faith, it is certainty. Doubt is the foundation of faith. It makes you tkae the leap without the certainty of there being terra firma on the other side. Big difference between certainty and faith. It's believing without seeing, hearing or reading.

I'm convinced that the Bible, including the Hebrew Torah, the prophets, the writings/wisdom literature, as well as the gospels and the letters of the New Testament all were inspired by YHWH God to tell the story of creation, fall, and redemption through his Son, Jesus Christ.

You asked. I'm not trying to debate or derail (ha) an offseason football talk forum. But I did not make up the God of the Bible as he declares himself to be in those writings. I've studied Hebrew and Greek; I'm not a casual observer. @HankHill asked if cussing was a sin; I guess the answer depends on who you're asking. If you are asking the God of the Bible, he would say yes.

Isaiah was pretty shaken by a vision of the God of the Bible because he said, "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!" -- Isaiah 6:5

I assume it had something to do with something he said.

Don't resist. I've read the Bible many times, different versions, All man-made and chosen by man. Why not the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Truth, the Gospel of Mary, etc, etc, etc.?
Faith is Faith. Faith without doubt isn't faith, it is certainty. Doubt is the foundation of faith. It makes you tkae the leap without the certainty of there being terra firma on the other side. Big difference between certainty and faith. It's believing without seeing, hearing or reading.
Because I've had this discussion with multiple different people on here at least 3 times. You can go back in the off topic forum and see where I've talked about this for days at a time. I'd just like to say this, if you were teaching history, and you believe that the things you are talking about are true, I feel sorry for your students. If you don't know the difference between the gospel of Thomas for example, and the Gospels of the NT, that is very sad, and you had no business teaching on that subject. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Like I said...I wish I had never let it be known. I have been thinking to just log out of VN, and stay gone for a while since I seem to bother so many holy folks with my normal guy humanity.
No! I love having you around. We all bother different people because we are all different. Somebody complained the other day that I am nice so I can get likes. Goodness, some complain about AV. I don't understand why people don't just put the ones on ignore that other them.

Sooooooo
F... B... and get money? 😀

No! I love having you around. We all bother different people because we are all different. Somebody complained the other day that I am nice so I can get likes. Goodness, some complain about AV. I don't understand why people don't just put the ones on ignore that other them.
Only bass panders for likes, you're all good sister.

Because I've had this discussion with multiple different people on here at least 3 times. You can go back in the off topic forum and see where I've talked about this for days at a time. I'd just like to say this, if you were teaching history, and you believe that the things you are talking about is true, I feel sorry for your students. If you don't know the difference between the gospel of Thomas for example, and the Gospels of the NT, that is very sad, and you had no business teaching on that subject. I'll leave it at that.
When teaching history, I relied upon the written accounts of historians. Those written accounts prove the existence of Jesus. The don't back up the middle-ages Catholic Chruch's choice of books to include. Just think, if it weren't for Martin Luther, you'd have to go see my buddy who is a Latin professor at Belmont to read the Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back