Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a second vehicle.....

Gonna go the gently used route - 2-3 years old less than 40k miles.

Leaning Toyota Camry, or Honda Accord for their obvious great reputation etc.

But I also really like how the Nissan Maximas and Kia Optimas look.

Anyone have any experience with either of those that can give feedback?

Maximas don't have the best reliability history, at least they didn't use to. Can't go wrong with Accord and Camrys. Have owned an Accord and have owned 2 Avalons (built similarly to Camrys) for the last 15 years. Excellent, excellent reliability. I may have put $2,000 into those 2 cars over 15 years. Absolutely ridiculous if you are like me and simply hate going to "the shop".

My wife has had a Kia (Soul) for about 7 years and it has also been ridiculously reliable. I don't think it's ever had to go to the shop for anything but oil and tires.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
Lol. Have you worked in the real world? Own your own business. I do and have for many years. The worker by being paid less money does pay the taxes, by your definition. Corporations pay zero taxes.

Yes I'm a CPA and my wife owns her own business. I understand these things quite well. It's just not as simple as "folk economics" would have you believe. But no need to argue it any further. Actual economists have studied this and answered it quite well. Can read all about it on The Googles.

Be wary of CVT's, especially from Nissan.

Their main draw is that they're fuel efficient.

The problem is they're most efficient between 20-60mph. Managing torque from a stop or at high speeds takes more out of the transmission.

Toyota recently added a first gear to manage stop-start traffic, which will seamlessly transition to the CVT and provide a lot longer life, but I don't know which model year that's been added to. I don't know if any other manufacturer has added this.

The car I bought recently was a 2013 standard automatic Corolla, and I think the standard auto is going to be hard to come by in the future.

Yes I'm a CPA and my wife owns her own business. I understand these things quite well. It's just not as simple as "folk economics" would have you believe. But no need to argue it any further. Actual economists have studied this and answered it quite well. Can read all about it on The Googles.
So all this tax revenue, where is it coming from? Are they printing it? Are they borrowing it? Where exactly is it coming from?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols4us

With what you listed I would go:

1. Camry
2. Accord
3. Optima
I would not buy a Nissan today.
In 80’s I owed a Nissan pickup and a Maxima, both were great. Nissan has gone downhill in last 15 years. I would not buy a Nissan made after 2005.
If you look at used car lots and they are full of Nissans. Camrys and Accords are harder to find because people buy them and keep them.

Hey kids

I finished my first novel! It's been a battle and an interesting journey, now the new one begins trying to get it published. If you are a reader with an extra $9.95 and think you might be interested in a little southern gothic tale, click the link below to order. Its the manuscript copy for now but I hope to use this self publishing site to help springboard to a real publisher. Get it before I become famous and my books go for like $30! Thank you for your support!

Chameleon by Butch Newton : $9.95 : TheBookPatch.com

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Hey kids

I finished my first novel! It's been a battle and an interesting journey, now the new one begins trying to get it published. If you are a reader with an extra $9.95 and think you might be interested in a little southern gothic tale, click the link below to order. Its the manuscript copy for now but I hope to use this self publishing site to help springboard to a real publisher. Get it before I become famous and my books go for like $30! Thank you for your support!

Chameleon by Butch Newton : $9.95 : TheBookPatch.com
Related to Butch Jones?

Anyone know if it’s legal to discharge a paintball gun (multiple times) in a residential neighborhood at 8:30 at night in Knox County?

And I promise this is my last self promoting post but I just moved my book over to Amazon as Amazon is better in every way. If you haven't gotten a chance yet, check it out, its also available in the kindle version thanks!:

And I promise this is my last self promoting post but I just moved my book over to Amazon as Amazon is better in every way. If you haven't gotten a chance yet, check it out, its also available in the kindle version thanks!:

What is the subject matter?

What is the subject matter?
I'd say southern gothic:

An unorthodox family living in an unorthodox place. Existing out on the water of Tricker Lake,TN, the Barretts are exceptional in many ways. Bridging the gap between old mountain magic and the American dream each member struggles to come to terms with what makes them happy and the powers that could tear them apart. Hank, a navy vet who escaped his war and Hennie, the mysterious girl he stumbled upon have found themselves living on a floating house raising three children: Delia, the oldest, who is usually there in body alone, the son Stanton who’s golden tongue is both a gift and a curse and Lea the youngest, loving nothing more than the striking of a match. Spanning decades and thousands of miles, their story unfolds as deep dark tragedy threatens to engulf their very lives.

Reactions: reVOLution33
I'd say southern gothic:

An unorthodox family living in an unorthodox place. Existing out on the water of Tricker Lake,TN, the Barretts are exceptional in many ways. Bridging the gap between old mountain magic and the American dream each member struggles to come to terms with what makes them happy and the powers that could tear them apart. Hank, a navy vet who escaped his war and Hennie, the mysterious girl he stumbled upon have found themselves living on a floating house raising three children: Delia, the oldest, who is usually there in body alone, the son Stanton who’s golden tongue is both a gift and a curse and Lea the youngest, loving nothing more than the striking of a match. Spanning decades and thousands of miles, their story unfolds as deep dark tragedy threatens to engulf their very lives.
I read different genres depending on my mood. I love to read, and probably read 1-2 books a week. I may just have to purchase your book since it is on kindle.

Reactions: bignewt
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back