Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree... outside of the local flavor of Memphis, it is a UT and Ole Miss city. Most of West TN is big orange country. The lack of UT fans in West TN is widely overplayed. I’d make a solid bet there are more UT fans in West TN than all the other schools combined.

Fair enough... I guess it just depends on where you are / how many vols fans you happen to see that week. I did take a trip to North Carolina a couple weeks ago and it was nice to see how much more Tennessee gear you see as you go east.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I disagree... outside of the local flavor of Memphis, it is a UT and Ole Miss city. Most of West TN is big orange country. The lack of UT fans in West TN is widely overplayed. I’d make a solid bet there are more UT fans in West TN than all the other schools combined.
There’s definitely more Bama and Ole Miss fans than ten years ago. Some Georgia fans are even popping up now. Always going to be some bandwagon fans

Memphis is West TN. and Memphis is NOT a predominantly UT city.

y'all acting like the VFL club of Dyersburg or Humbolt matters.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
At one point we had a booster in Memphis that pretty much would pay a lot of SEC players not necessarily just Tennessee. He was a Tennessee alumni and I think the university distanced themselves from him but back in the day even Memphis was a UT city. I cannot remember the guys name to save my life.

Memphis is West TN. and Memphis is NOT a predominantly UT city.

y'all acting like the VFL club of Dyersburg or Humbolt matters.

Memphis is “ in “ west Tennessee it’s not west Tennessee . The city of Memphis is closer to other schools than to UT that’s why there’s a draw. That being said the majority of football fans in west TN have always been UT fans in my experience .

Memphis is “ in “ west Tennessee it’s not west Tennessee . The city of Memphis is closer to other schools than to UT that’s why there’s a draw. That being said the majority of football fans in west TN have always been UT fans in my experience .
i don't really disagree. i just don't think it matters given what memphis is.

Memphis is pretty cesspool-y when it comes to sports fandom (inb4 anyone uses my words to make an over-generalization of the city as a whole).

SEC-wise, there's a lot of true-blue Vols fans, but for the masses, it's whoever's hot at the time. During the Tebow years, every ****** 2002 Mustang in Bartlett had oversized Gators stickers on the back windshield. That shifted in 2008-9 with all the vanity Alabama plates, which has held a relative stronghold since. There's always been Auburn and LSU fans here too, a little far from their respective homes. Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Old Miss are only natural to see here given the proximity, and Vandy bumper stickers and t-shirts are an every-now-and-then sight. And of course, now that the Tigers are good, the city is bluer than ever.

In short, there are a lot of options, as a lot of SEC(w) schools have alumni working out of Memphis. And there's a feedback loop as private school kids aren't shy about going out of state to another big-time school.

It's pretty obnoxious to live here. I'm starting to see more Clemson stuff around, although it might be because I'm subliminally looking for it to back up my bitter point of view.

But even with the NBA, whenever we play the Lakers, Warriors, Celtics, and Heat, you hear the contingent of opposing bandwagoners cheering.

There will always be Vols in Memphis. Then there's always a side of Memphis that will root for whoever is winning.

Reactions: quadlee21
620k in Memphis

900k rest of west TN
that's very specific......edit: and i'll own that since i said "memphis" vs. W TN and didn't specify otherwise. but Memphis metro area is really what i was getting at....so with that....

shelby county is nearly a million.

factor in Desoto county MS it's over a million.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChismsHeadband
that's very specific......edit: and i'll own that since i said "memphis" vs. W TN and didn't specify otherwise. but Memphis metro area is really what i was getting at....so with that....

shelby county is nearly a million.

factor in Desoto county MS it's over a million.

I'd say you go east of 240 you are in Vol country. I'll give you the rest of it, hell I'll pay you to take it.

I'd say you go east of 240 you are in Vol country. I'll give you the rest of it, hell I'll pay you to take it.
lol. i hear ya. i still think you're a tad optimstic on the geography there, but for argument's sake...that's fine.

and i don't really disagree....the further North and East of Memphis you get, the more orange it gets.

but Memphis metro area has never been a predominatly pro-UTK city/area....obviously we have a presence. but is it any more significant than Ole Miss? MSU? ARK? Alabama? LSU? Memphis?

no. and in some circles, we're probably less represented than some of those other schools. there's a lot of influential alumni in that town, from all of these schools............

lol. i hear ya. i still think you're a tad optimstic on the geography there, but for argument's sake...that's fine.

and i don't really disagree....the further North and East of Memphis you get, the more orange it gets.

but Memphis metro area has never been a predominatly pro-UTK city/area....obviously we have a presence. but is it any more significant than Ole Miss? MSU? ARK? Alabama? LSU? Memphis?

no. and in some circles, we're probably less represented than some of those other schools. there's a lot of influential alumni in that town, from all of these schools............

I always saw more Ole Miss in Memphis than anything.

I had to use a travel voucher before it expired in May, so guess who just booked the cheapest getaway 3 weeks out. This guy.

Denver round-trip from Thurs to Sun: $210 (free)
Airbnb: $135

Booom, so stoked.

If you got room in your carry-on for the trip back, you'll be in Colorado so you know, hook us up with some yummy gummies.

Reactions: T Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back