Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies for this weekend. I’ll go ahead and brace for another nut-kick performance.
Let me make you feel better BabyAvi:

Candy’s pass defense is worse than ours
Squirrel gets more reps now and that’s Milton’s favorite target- you can’t guard him one on one
Their QB is very average, at least rattler was a five star
Banks is back and that will help immensely for our defense
We’re gonna win by 14+

Those huge cushions...🤦‍♂️ and that crappy ass soft zone where guys just stand there as receivers just kind of find a hole and stand there with 2-3 guys just dickfiddling around them..and then look like a bunch of spastics trying to "tackle" the guy as he gets another 10 yards.

There is just no excuse for any of that.

I don't disagree, but is it because we don't have the talent and the coaches are more worried about teams taking the top off and burning us deep? I just don't think it is as cut and dry as we would like it to be. Now, the coaches should be able to gameplan and scheme around their talent gap to some degree, and I agree that if something isn't really working then we need to try something new. It has been frustrating to watch our DBs all year.

Let me make you feel better BabyAvi:

Candy’s pass defense is worse than ours
Squirrel gets more reps now and that’s Milton’s favorite target- you can’t guard him one on one
Their QB is very average, at least rattler was a five star
Banks is back and that will help immensely for our defense
We’re gonna win by 14+
Hope so, bud. We can’t afford another bad loss. Need to put a winning taste back in our mouths the last 2 games.

Vandy got a bail out 4th and 11 that extended the drive where they drove it via a lucky long pass and scored against UK to win. Without that it’s turnover on downs and UK kneels on it.
last week they won by 7 and the difference was a UF muffed punt that rolled 10-15 yards into the end zone and Vandy recovers for a TD. They’ve been getting massive breaks. They are playing their best but be sure to put some context on it. AR still threw for 400.

I know we just looked horrible but Rattler does have arm talent that Mike Wright doesn’t have a fraction of. And with the weather they’ll be less likely to let him throw that much. Kind of plays into our hands. I would actually be a lot more worried if it was Aj Swann playing QB. He actually has real arm talent.

it’s true Vandys secondary is worse than ours and that’s saying something. The further they get away from the LOS the worse they are. We will have speed on the field they can’t come close to matching. Hyatt, Squirrel, Wright and Sampson. Pretty excited about Squirrel getting more time. He could torch Vandy

Last edited:
i still think the orange and Sugar are in play. we did beat Bama and LSU, so on the field, qualified. we travel and we're great on TV. LSU is an hour or whatever away from New Orleans, so i really don't think the Sugar necessarily wants LSU, and i can't imagine the SEC would disagree.

Bama...they're kinda the wildcard. Bama fans, will they travel to Miami, New Orleans or Dallas w/no playoff or national title in play?

and the other commonality, i don't think any of the 3 want to go to the Cotton bowl to play Cincy or Tulane. all kinds of meh.

if we win Saturday, LSU loses next week, and Bama wins....i think it shakes out Bama/TN to Sugar/Orange, and LSU to the Cotton.....that should make the most sense, if it plays out. if we lose to Vandy....then who will really care. lol.

I agree that Bama is the biggest competition for Sugar. LSU will lose by 2 scores to UGA in SECCG and the Sugar doesn’t want the local team, they want the fan bases that will come spend money. I know the SEC gets a big say in the bowl matchups but you would have to think that if Milton shows out this weekend that the Sugar bowl could be salivating at a UT fan base coming down to New Orleans and spending a **** load of money. Just look at the fans that showed up to Baton Rouge earlier this year. That game and image of orange overtaking the stadium is fresh in the Sugar bowl boards mind. I could also see them salivating at Bama a bit too though. Bama has been to the Sugar Bowl 3 times in the last decade but not for the last 4 years and 2 of those were playoff games. Who knows. I still think there’s a decent chance of a Sugar Bowl but I think it would have to come down to the Sugar Bowl pushing for us over Bama because we all know Sankey will side with his buddy Saban.

I'm about to turn 38...here's a recap of the most miserable losses of my fandom with the Vols

1994 - 31 to 0 loss to Florida
1995 - 62 to 37 loss to Florida
1997 - 42 to 17 loss to Nebraska in Orange Bowl (this loss was personally one of the hardest as a fan I've experienced being Peyton's last game as a Vol)
2001 - 31 to 20 loss to LSU in SEC Championship (not a blowout, but we were 2nd in the country and beating LSU would have meant playing for the national title...and LSU was a bad 3 loss team)
2002 - 30 to 3 loss to Maryland in Peach Bowl
2003 - 41 to 14 loss to Georgia at home (we had beat the Gators in the swamp, got upset by Auburn the week before so ya think the team will respond and then this beating happened)
2003 - 27 to 14 loss to Clemson in Peach Bowl (we were 10-2 and 6th ranked going into this game against an unranked 9-4 team, also Casey Clausen's last game as a Vol)
2004 - 38 to 28 loss to Auburn in SEC Championship game (Had gotten blowout in Neyland by 24 earlier to them, we beat Florida, Georgia, and Bama this season and get the rematch...then lose again and Rick Clausen was absolute GARBAGE yeah Ainge got hurt...but we had 2 1K RBs this year)
2005 - the whole season...I was honestly done with Fulmer this year. Lost to South Carolina and Vandy
2007 - 59 to 20 loss to Florida (Urban Myer & Tim Tebow do it for the 3rd straight year, this time in a blowout we never beat them while Urban was there)
2007 - 41 to 17 loss to Alabama (Nick Saban era begins...they lost 4 straight after skull dragging us too)
2007 - 21 to 14 loss in our last SEC Title game appearance and in amazing fashion with a 14-13 lead in the 4th Ainge throws a pick 6
2008 - the whole season...the fact Fulmer had this season with Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, Denarius Moore, Rico McCoy, Eric Berry, Robert Ayers, & Dan Williams on the team is even worse... the team finished 5-7 averaging 17.3 ppg on offense (111th) and giving up 16.8 ppg on defense (10th)

Kiffin year - 42 to 17 to Ole Miss (how do you allow Dexter McCluster to rack up 324 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs...) and then 37 to 14 to Virginia Tech in bowl game (31 rushes for 5 yards, Crompton was sacked so many times...)

Dooley Era
Year 1: 41 to 14 loss at Georgia (who finished 6-7)...Oregon was really good, as was Florida and both were early games so those beatings a bit easier to stomach...Bray starts at Memphis and the offense awakens he went 4-1 to end the season and offense averages 35.4 ppg really questioning why Matt Simms kept starting in those first 8 games
Year 2: quite a few games were frustrating...but losing 49 to 7 at Arkansas...Bray was out sure, but Simms was a Senior and in his 2nd year with you...how was he not better?
Year 3: we all know the game, 41 to 18 loss at Vandy...WTF happened? Bray was healthy, Hunter, Patterson, Rivera, Neal, Lane...all played. Only 3 teams that season held us below 30 points...Florida, Bama and ****ING VANDY

Butch Era
Year 1: Honestly gave him a pass after how poorly Dooley was at everything
Year 2: 34 to 3 at Ole Miss, this was honestly the game where I was done with Worley completely
Year 3: The OU game...not a blowout, not a bad loss...but how we blew that one 28 to 7 to end the game in double OT. Finishing the season with 6 straight wins though really had you thinking especially with how one sided the Outback Bowl was
Year 4: at South Carolina with a shot to win SEC East...then at Vandy with shot to still get the Sugar Bowl
Year 5: Everything after Indiana State...finished 2-8 and even the 2 wins weren't impressive

Pruitt Era
I'll be honest...soon as I saw how bad the offense was against West Virginia I was already on alert. The fact he never got the defense to an elite level while having an offense that didn't finish a season in the top 95 for scoring = BADDD

Heupel Era
Year 1: not even Heupel's fault honestly, but losing to Ole Miss. We flat out got hosed and it really should have been a major upset and redemption against Kiffin but that's not the narrative the SEC wanted and they made sure it didn't happen.
Year 2: 63 to 38 loss to South Carolina, of course it was miserable and no sugar coating it...we're only in year 2 and looking back at these other bad games this one will ultimately I think be easier to forget in time than some of the others...mainly because Year 2 and we overachieved this season and it was a run that was bound to eventually get derailed. Figured it'd be Ohio State doing it to us in the first round of the CFP though...at least before Saturday that was the nut kick I was expecting

46 years young.

What I hope for this weekend:
1) that several of the top ten teams have comically inexplicably bad losses that shake up the whole system;

2) Meanwhile, I also hope Vols win so convincingly that people look back at the SC loss and think, “huh - just some weird fluke, the Vols are a really good team after all.”

We cement our position in a revered NY6 bowl.

Seeing poster’s ages in prior posts, I am curious of the age range in this great thread. I am 31 and about to be 32 in a couple weeks.
Worst game at Neyland: 1986 Army blocked punt in end zone to beat Vols - I was sitting in row1 in end zone
Best game at Neyland: tie between1998 vistory over Florida and 1985 victory over Auburn and Bo Jackson
Best road game: 1985 Sugar Vols over Miami
Worst road game: Dooley’s Music City Bowl fiasco

Last edited:
I'm about to turn 38...here's a recap of the most miserable losses of my fandom with the Vols

1997 - 42 to 17 loss to Nebraska in Orange Bowl (this loss was personally one of the hardest as a fan I've experienced being Peyton's last game as a Vol)
2001 - 31 to 20 loss to LSU in SEC Championship (not a blowout, but we were 2nd in the country and beating LSU would have meant playing for the national title...and LSU was a bad 3 loss team)
2003 - 41 to 14 loss to Georgia at home (we had beat the Gators in the swamp, got upset by Auburn the week before so ya think the team will respond and then this beating happened)
2003 - 27 to 14 loss to Clemson in Peach Bowl (we were 10-2 and 6th ranked going into this game against an unranked 9-4 team, also Casey Clausen's last game as a Vol)
2004 - 38 to 28 loss to Auburn in SEC Championship game (Had gotten blowout in Neyland by 24 earlier to them, we beat Florida, Georgia, and Bama this season and get the rematch...then lose again and Rick Clausen was absolute GARBAGE yeah Ainge got hurt...but we had 2 1K RBs this year)
2005 - the whole season...I was honestly done with Fulmer this year. Lost to South Carolina and Vandy
2007 - 59 to 20 loss to Florida (Urban Myer & Tim Tebow do it for the 3rd straight year, this time in a blowout we never beat them while Urban was there)
2007 - 41 to 17 loss to Alabama (Nick Saban era begins...they lost 4 straight after skull dragging us too)
2007 - 21 to 14 loss in our last SEC Title game appearance and in amazing fashion with a 14-13 lead in the 4th Ainge throws a pick 6
2008 - the whole season...the fact Fulmer had this season with Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, Denarius Moore, Rico McCoy, Eric Berry, Robert Ayers, & Dan Williams on the team is even worse... the team finished 5-7 averaging 17.3 ppg on offense (111th) and giving up 16.8 ppg on defense (10th)

Kiffin year - 42 to 17 to Ole Miss (how do you allow Dexter McCluster to rack up 324 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs...) and then 37 to 14 to Virginia Tech in bowl game (31 rushes for 5 yards, Crompton was sacked so many times...)

Dooley Era
Year 1: 41 to 14 loss at Georgia (who finished 6-7)...Oregon was really good, as was Florida and both were early games so those beatings a bit easier to stomach...Bray starts at Memphis and the offense awakens he went 4-1 to end the season and offense averages 35.4 ppg really questioning why Matt Simms kept starting in those first 8 games
Year 2: quite a few games were frustrating...but losing 49 to 7 at Arkansas...Bray was out sure, but Simms was a Senior and in his 2nd year with you...how was he not better?
Year 3: we all know the game, 41 to 18 loss at Vandy...WTF happened? Bray was healthy, Hunter, Patterson, Rivera, Neal, Lane...all played. Only 3 teams that season held us below 30 points...Florida, Bama and ****ING VANDY

Butch Era
Year 2: 34 to 3 at Ole Miss, this was honestly the game where I was done with Worley completely
Year 3: The OU game...not a blowout, not a bad loss...but how we blew that one 28 to 7 to end the game in double OT. Finishing the season with 6 straight wins though really had you thinking especially with how one sided the Outback Bowl was
Year 4: at South Carolina with a shot to win SEC East...then at Vandy with shot to still get the Sugar Bowl
Year 5: Everything after Indiana State...finished 2-8 and even the 2 wins weren't impressive

Pruitt Era
I'll be honest...soon as I saw how bad the offense was against West Virginia I was already on alert. The fact he never got the defense to an elite level while having an offense that didn't finish a season in the top 95 for scoring = BADDD

Heupel Era
Year 1: not even Heupel's fault honestly, but losing to Ole Miss. We flat out got hosed and it really should have been a major upset and redemption against Kiffin but that's not the narrative the SEC wanted and they made sure it didn't happen.
Year 2: 63 to 38 loss to South Carolina, of course it was miserable and no sugar coating it...we're only in year 2 and looking back at these other bad games this one will ultimately I think be easier to forget in time than some of the others...mainly because Year 2 and we overachieved this season and it was a run that was bound to eventually get derailed. Figured it'd be Ohio State doing it to us in the first round of the CFP though...at least before Saturday that was the nut kick I was expecting
Just turned 42 a month ago.

I'll add the LSU and UNC Music City Bowl game during the Dooley years as losses that I won't soon forget.

3 out of 4 of the Cover 3 guys picked Vandy to cover as well. Mostly because former host Barton Simmons is the GM at VU now and they just want a big win for their show. Bud Elliott, whose opinion I respect the most on that show, did not take Vandy.

42-24… I’m not sure which team is which, unfortunately. ⚡

3 out of 4 of the Cover 3 guys picked Vandy to cover as well. Mostly because former host Barton Simmons is the GM at VU now and they just want a big win for their show. Bud Elliott, whose opinion I respect the most on that show, did not take Vandy.

Even with all that happened, we’re a still a bad matchup for Vandy. Unless the team really has just quit, or Milton just can’t get anything going for whatever reason, we should still win comfortably Saturday night.

Doesn’t make me less nervous about it, though.

Dooley Era

Butch Era

Pruitt Era

Heupel Era

After beating ranked UK/ Auburn with a close loss @ SC - I thought Pruitt was turning the ship around and started to grow hope. Losing the remaining two games by a total score of 88-30 was a complete kick in the d*ck, especially with the Vandy game having bowl implications.

Turned 43 a couple days ago. Asked my wife for playoff tickets. Glad she bought me a jelly of the month club instead.
giphy.gif

I’m nervous about Saturday. I still can’t shake 2012, 2016 and 2018. All three times I overlooked Vandy and I guess in retrospect the team did too. What makes me nervous is those were each different Tennessee coaching staffs - so any lessons are gone. Does this new coaching staff realize how tricky this Vandy game has historically been? Also, how comfortable is Milton as a starter and how efficient will the offense be with him?

I lean towards Tennessee winning, in a lower scoring, ugly affair. But a loss wouldn’t surprise me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back