Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
this and only this.

said it on Sunday...this is the first real adversity this staff, this team has had to deal with, so i think there's a lot to be taken away, about the overall leadership on this team and in this program in general, from how they respond Saturday, good or bad.

you absolutely do not want/need this season to end on a sour note. there's only 1 thing you can control at this point, so better be focused on that, and nothing else.
I also think this week has and will tell us a lot about our fan base. We've spent a ton of time on social media platforms talking about how much we love this team, how much we support them regardless of the ending because they've earned it by turning things around, bragging about them, proclaiming we're back and the future is bright.

Did we mean it? Do we give up on them and turn our back on them now? Because of one bad game? What if we lose to Andy too?

Maybe more realistically, how much of it is from bandwagon fans?

I'm about to turn 38...here's a recap of the most miserable losses of my fandom with the Vols

1994 - 31 to 0 loss to Florida
1995 - 62 to 37 loss to Florida
1997 - 42 to 17 loss to Nebraska in Orange Bowl (this loss was personally one of the hardest as a fan I've experienced being Peyton's last game as a Vol)
2001 - 31 to 20 loss to LSU in SEC Championship (not a blowout, but we were 2nd in the country and beating LSU would have meant playing for the national title...and LSU was a bad 3 loss team)
2002 - 30 to 3 loss to Maryland in Peach Bowl
2003 - 41 to 14 loss to Georgia at home (we had beat the Gators in the swamp, got upset by Auburn the week before so ya think the team will respond and then this beating happened)
2003 - 27 to 14 loss to Clemson in Peach Bowl (we were 10-2 and 6th ranked going into this game against an unranked 9-4 team, also Casey Clausen's last game as a Vol)
2004 - 38 to 28 loss to Auburn in SEC Championship game (Had gotten blowout in Neyland by 24 earlier to them, we beat Florida, Georgia, and Bama this season and get the rematch...then lose again and Rick Clausen was absolute GARBAGE yeah Ainge got hurt...but we had 2 1K RBs this year)
2005 - the whole season...I was honestly done with Fulmer this year. Lost to South Carolina and Vandy
2007 - 59 to 20 loss to Florida (Urban Myer & Tim Tebow do it for the 3rd straight year, this time in a blowout we never beat them while Urban was there)
2007 - 41 to 17 loss to Alabama (Nick Saban era begins...they lost 4 straight after skull dragging us too)
2007 - 21 to 14 loss in our last SEC Title game appearance and in amazing fashion with a 14-13 lead in the 4th Ainge throws a pick 6
2008 - the whole season...the fact Fulmer had this season with Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, Denarius Moore, Rico McCoy, Eric Berry, Robert Ayers, & Dan Williams on the team is even worse... the team finished 5-7 averaging 17.3 ppg on offense (111th) and giving up 16.8 ppg on defense (10th)

Kiffin year - 42 to 17 to Ole Miss (how do you allow Dexter McCluster to rack up 324 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs...) and then 37 to 14 to Virginia Tech in bowl game (31 rushes for 5 yards, Crompton was sacked so many times...)

Dooley Era
Year 1: 41 to 14 loss at Georgia (who finished 6-7)...Oregon was really good, as was Florida and both were early games so those beatings a bit easier to stomach...Bray starts at Memphis and the offense awakens he went 4-1 to end the season and offense averages 35.4 ppg really questioning why Matt Simms kept starting in those first 8 games
Year 2: quite a few games were frustrating...but losing 49 to 7 at Arkansas...Bray was out sure, but Simms was a Senior and in his 2nd year with you...how was he not better?
Year 3: we all know the game, 41 to 18 loss at Vandy...WTF happened? Bray was healthy, Hunter, Patterson, Rivera, Neal, Lane...all played. Only 3 teams that season held us below 30 points...Florida, Bama and ****ING VANDY

Butch Era
Year 1: Honestly gave him a pass after how poorly Dooley was at everything
Year 2: 34 to 3 at Ole Miss, this was honestly the game where I was done with Worley completely
Year 3: The OU game...not a blowout, not a bad loss...but how we blew that one 28 to 7 to end the game in double OT. Finishing the season with 6 straight wins though really had you thinking especially with how one sided the Outback Bowl was
Year 4: at South Carolina with a shot to win SEC East...then at Vandy with shot to still get the Sugar Bowl
Year 5: Everything after Indiana State...finished 2-8 and even the 2 wins weren't impressive

Pruitt Era
I'll be honest...soon as I saw how bad the offense was against West Virginia I was already on alert. The fact he never got the defense to an elite level while having an offense that didn't finish a season in the top 95 for scoring = BADDD

Heupel Era
Year 1: not even Heupel's fault honestly, but losing to Ole Miss. We flat out got hosed and it really should have been a major upset and redemption against Kiffin but that's not the narrative the SEC wanted and they made sure it didn't happen.
Year 2: 63 to 38 loss to South Carolina, of course it was miserable and no sugar coating it...we're only in year 2 and looking back at these other bad games this one will ultimately I think be easier to forget in time than some of the others...mainly because Year 2 and we overachieved this season and it was a run that was bound to eventually get derailed. Figured it'd be Ohio State doing it to us in the first round of the CFP though...at least before Saturday that was the nut kick I was expecting
Now do it with favorite wins.

46 years young.

What I hope for this weekend:
1) that several of the top ten teams have comically inexplicably bad losses that shake up the whole system;

2) Meanwhile, I also hope Vols win so convincingly that people look back at the SC loss and think, “huh - just some weird fluke, the Vols are a really good team after all.”

We cement our position in a revered NY6 bowl.
I just wanna see a very loose, comfortable looking Milton. One overthrow at most. And scramble for a few long runs/truck someone. Not asking for much :)

I’m just not that worried about Milton for Saturday. He’s not as efficient and he will miss some passes. He will also hit some great passes. He will run for 50+ yards. As long as the defense even plays 50% better than last week, big if though on that side, I think this is still a 38-17 or 42-28 type game.

I choose to stay optimistic regarding the offense. We still have Heupel, talented WRs (fingers crossed for Bru), and a good enough OL and RB for this game. Time to show that last week was a blip and we at least deserve the best non playoff bowl possible.

Sheesh this article talks about another Cards coach (Saxon) who admitted to assaulting a woman. Sentenced to 1 year in jail which was suspended. So no real punishment besides losing his job.

Yet there are states who have people locked up for possession. What are we doing?
Assaulting? I think we need a better word for groping if you don't like "groping." While it's all wrong and unlawful, there is still a spectrum of unwanted touching.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I’m just not that worried about Milton for Saturday. He’s not as efficient and he will miss some passes. He will also hit some great passes. He will run for 50+ yards. As long as the defense even plays 50% better than last week, big if though on that side, I think this is still a 38-17 or 42-28 type game.

I choose to stay optimistic regarding the offense. We still have Heupel, talented WRs (fingers crossed for Bru), and a good enough OL and RB for this game. Time to show that last week was a blip and we at least deserve the best non playoff bowl possible.
I think he goes over 100 rushing.

After beating ranked UK/ Auburn with a close loss @ SC - I thought Pruitt was turning the ship around and started to grow hope. Losing the remaining two games by a total score of 88-30 was a complete kick in the d*ck, especially with the Vandy game having bowl implications.

Yeah honestly never felt good about him. Needed a defensive TD to beat Auburn even with JG playing the single best game of his career. And Kentucky just played Pruitt ball, ugly and one dimensional offense with strong defense. Their D couldn't stop our run and our D did, them having 3 turnovers just made it easier.

I will say for a small moment, in year 2 when we beat Vandy 28-10 in Neyland where Gray had his coming out party I was pretty excited for the future. Legit thought we'd see Gray and a new QB (Bailey or Shrout) be enough to overcome Pruitt's offensive handcuffing.

63 here but most mornings I feel 83! Attended 53 games both at home and away before witnessing a loss. Friends used to joke that I should apply as a team mascot lol. Most memorable in person wins: 85 Auburn game, 85 Sugar Bowl over Miami, Miracle at South Bend, 98 Fla and Arkansas games. 1st game I saw them lose in person was to Duke when Spurrier coached them.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

63 here but most mornings I feel 83! Attended 53 games both at home and away before witnessing a loss. Friends used to joke that I should apply as a team mascot lol. Most memorable in person wins: 85 Auburn game, 85 Sugar Bowl over Miami, Miracle at South Bend, 98 Fla and Arkansas games. 1st game I saw them lose in person was to Duke when Spurrier coached them.
Happy Thanksgiving all!
Why you gotta keep bringing up 63?

I really hope Milton has a good game on saturday. He deserves it. In this age of the transfer portal even after he lost his job to HH he could have packed it up and tried again somewhere else but he has stuck through it and been loyal. Hope he starts reaping the rewards not only these last 2 games but next year as the starter.

LOL at Germany.
Lots of really good teams not showing up.

Then there's the Spain-France-Englands that came in raising hell.

Friday is going to be the biggest WC game this country has ever seen. Really hope we can play up to the Brits. We have the ability, but sure as hell can't play like we did the H2 of last game.

Agree with you 100%. I thought 8-4 at the beginning of our season would be progress. 9-3 would be fantastic and anything better gold! It's just the way we lost that last game with everything on the line.... it hurt. Go Vols! Let's kick Vandy's azz.

48... UT Grad 97
Right on. If I had to predict the season in August, I would have felt like:

OOC gimmes: 3-0

Pitt: 35-27 (W) - Ranked 20th
UF: 32-35 (L) - NR
LSU: 30-36 (L) - NR
Bama: 28-42 (L) - now sitting at 3-3
UK: 45-35 (W) - NR
UGA: 24-38 (L) - NR
Mizzou: 52-24 (W) - NR
USCjr: 44-30 (W) - NR
Vandy: 52-25 (W) - NR...ranked ~22nd-25th IF we won a bowl game

8-4

And yet our season was waaaay better than all of that. And thank goodnes it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back