Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we need to stop manufacturing distractions like Checker Vandy and LR drama and focus on winning the next game. The team folded under pressure last week and is heading into another high-stakes game without key players. Time to come together and direct all the energy on one thing: beating Vandy decisively.

Think we need to stop manufacturing distractions like Checker Vandy and LR drama and focus on winning the next game. The team folded under pressure last week and is heading into another high-stakes game without key players. Time to come together and direct all the energy on one thing: beating Vandy decisively.
Will Jeremy Banks be back this week?

One good thing is we all know the character of Shane Beamer now. My man left in his starters on both sides of the ball the entire game to try and make that blow out stick as hard as possible.

They scored 21 in the 4th quarter even. He was trying to send a message...one I hope Heupel doesn't forget. Cause next year I don't want to see us quit running our offense in the 2nd half against them.

One good thing is we all know the character of Shane Beamer now. My man left in his starters on both sides of the ball the entire game to try and make that blow out stick as hard as possible.

They scored 21 in the 4th quarter even. He was trying to send a message...one I hope Heupel doesn't forget. Cause next year I don't want to see us quit running our offense in the 2nd half against them.
Agreed. Still doesn't matter because if we still have Banks calling defense and Willie coaching corners we won't have the option to stop running our offense in the second half even if we wanted to..

Yeah and its just completely cringe after last weeks embarrassment.

Is it common to have your defensive backs split up like that? Could that be the cause for the disconnect between the two groups?
It does happen. Im not sure how common it is. But anyone with a brain knows you have to bring pressure when you have sub par dbs. Banks doesn't understand that and if he does you couldn't prove it by me

I don't get it. No one predicted we would beat Bama, LSU, Florida, and Pitt and have a chance to win 10-11 games this year. We have played above our heads all year long. Now, we have a really bad loss to a bad SC team, and we're trying to find something wrong with us. Why can't the reason be that we have played above our heads all year, especially with the lack of talent we have on defense. We went to a road environment at night, we played horrible and also lost our starting QB, both starting corners, and a starting WR while also missing our best LB and at the same time SC played outstanding. Yes, some of that was due to our poor defense, but anyone who watches that game can see that Rattler played at a level he had never played at before. He was dropping dimes, even when on the run he was putting balls on the money. Sometimes that happens. Why do we have to find something wrong?

I don't understand this firing everybody, looking for internal problems, trying to find something to blame. Fact is, we are still a low talent team on defense and SC played above their heads and we played horribly. But this doesn't mean that everything is burning down, or that our program is about to be in shambles, or whatever else I've seen.

Look at other teams. UGA went 8-4 in year 1 with a loss to Vandy. Yes, they went to the NC in year 2, but they played no one to get there. They had a pitiful SOC that year, and they got blown out by AU in the regular season. They got to go to the NC because they played AU again, instead of Alabama in Atlanta and then went on to lose to Bama for the championship game. That playoff appearance doesn't happen if they play Bama in Atlanta.

In year 3, GA went 11-3, with a blowout loss to a mediocre LSU team, a loss to Bama in Atlanta, and a loss to a mediocre Texas team in the bowl game.
In year 4, Kirby lost to a 4-8 (4-8!!!!) SC team in a day time game at Willie B and then got blown out by LSU in Atlanta.

In year 5, Kirby went 8-2 with blowout losses to Florida and Alabama. Uncompetitive losses in both games.

And Kirby did that with far more, far more talent than what Heup has. Our roster would not compete with any of those rosters, especially on defense, and we're wanting to burn the program down looking for answers because of one bad loss. So many are panicked because of one bad loss? Give me a break! That doesn't mean that some changes shouldn't be made on defense, but I just don't understand why there are so many looking for explanations to what happened. It's year 2.

I am quite a few pages behind, but I was planning on posting something very similar. If anyone had told us at the beginning of the year that we would not only claw our way into the top 10 in year 2 of the Heupel reign, but that we would actually even be ranked number 1 in the initial CFP poll, we would have said that they were crazy. If anyone had told us at the beginning of the year that we would beat Pitt, Florida, Bama, and LSU along with blowing out KY and Mizzou while losing road games to UGA and Scar with a chance to finish the season at 10-2, we would have told them that they had lost their minds. The whole team played like a big ole pile of hot garbage on Saturday and it was obvious that their heads weren't in the game at all. However, the defense that got torched also held up an offense the struggled in the Pitt game and gave us a chance to get the W. That defense stifled LSU all game long and let the offense operate from exactly the position that they operate best from. That defense has gotten key stops in pivotal moments of games all year long and have done so with a huge deficit of talent. I am not giving anybody a pass and serious conversations need to be had about whether we have the right people in the right spots, but crapping all over a team that has given us a season that we never even truly dreamed was possible at this point in Heup's tenure is a slap in the face to everything that they accomplished this year. Feel free to do just that if you want, but I for one refuse to diminish their accomplishments and all the hard work and dedication that they have poured into this team. I was able to be in Neyland when we beat both Florida and Bama and I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to see those amazing games. Those players and coaches made that possible and I will never crap on them because they all deserve better.

I hope we have a custom-tailored game plan for Milton run roughshod over these nerds. I do t know what you do on defense. They went back to that runner correct, Mike something? That makes me feel a little better.

This is how it's going to be. The Vols are going to get everybody's full attention, their best game plan and as many points hung on us as possible-- because everybody knows the Vols can come back quickly and because right now, the Vols are the cool team to hate. I think every SEC team roots against us.

This was it. This is what happened.

It's why Saban talks about Rat Poison. It's a lesson learned for everyone in the program. If I were in charge, I'd run that video of Rattler holding up his fingers to count all his TDs on a loop from now till next August in football facility.
Then this tells me the DC has no control and lacks leadership. They secondary has sucked all year. Its an excuse period bothing more. How about gameplan and execute... No excuses and own what you put on the field. It starts with DC Banks and Heupel is the one to ultimately hold him accountable

It does happen. Im not sure how common it is. But anyone with a brain knows you have to bring pressure when you have sub par dbs. Banks doesn't understand that and if he does you couldn't prove it by me
The dB's lack talent and do not play well as a unit. If I'm the head coach I push for continuity there, I want the same coach teaching them the same things/techniques, same pedagogy etc. I want them to be in every aspect on the same page.

Going to need to get them some help this off-season.

Do you think having considered what happened he would just have let Banks travel with the team and play? This is big boy semi-pro now, you let the locker room handle bidness and then play the best guys.

I’m not convinced JB being on the field would have made much of a difference. He was out a lot of the Missouri game too and nobody freaked out then.

Neither was Mitchell at the beginning of the year. New status, “unavailable.” Which really means rampant rumors and speculation. This is NIL times and putting protecting their “image” over truth.

Not disclosing details about internal situations has been UT's policy for a while. Players are not supposed to talk about it. Coaches are going to give non-answers. UTAD isn't going to comment. Team business is team business.

Agreed. Still doesn't matter because if we still have Banks calling defense and Willie coaching corners we won't have the option to stop running our offense in the second half even if we wanted to..

I think we as fans are overreacting to one game. I don't think Banks is the long term answer at DC, Willie isn't a great secondary coach either. But that game will hopefully create some changes.

For one I feel like the secondary as a whole should be coached by one positional coach. I think a good DC works with the overall defense and play calling and lets his positional coaches own their responsibilities. So I don't like safeties and corner backs being coached by two different guys, would like to see that change.

Sometimes a good ass whooping is needed to make you realize that you're not doing things the best way you can be "it worked before" loses steam when someone puts the highest point total on you in program history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back