Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it if he wants to win a championship, but I read somewhere that he reportedly wanted $3m NIL from UF. You're a year away from being a top 5 pick - is $3m for one year that much of a difference? Have to imagine he's already loaded from his current NIL and family's wealth.

That could’ve been fake but it’s football. He could also suffer a career ending injury in that 1 year timeframe.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Alright boys, I think I’ve named my daughter. I had been expecting my fiancé to do it, but she had nothing and she’s due in 3 weeks. What do y’all think?

Rhea Lucia Lowe.

Ray-ah Loo-sha

Both ancient Roman names. We’re both historians, at least by our degrees. Neither of us work in the field lol. But I think it fits.

EB00675C-9F07-43F6-92A0-925762CD5876.gif

People talking about Drake Maye, I saw where UNC CB Tony Grimes entered the portal. Former 5*. I haven't kept up with his career at UNC, but I remember really wanting this kid to come to Tennessee when he was a recruit. There's a lot of DB talent in the portal. It would be criminal not to upgrade our secondary.

If we stay pat and don't pursue some of these secondary guys, that eliminates the " we don't have talent in our secondary" defense next year. If we're not looking to improve, they must be happy with who they have.

So Caleb Williams puts profanity on his fingernails and Hyatt does this…I would say the culture is different.

I know a lot of reactions were “this NIL deal bodes well for him coming back next year..” but I don’t think has any impact and I think Hyatt’s dads response is an indicator of that. This feels like a short term, national stage NY6 NIL deal and all Hyatt hotels had to do was give a bunch of hotel rewards points.. and probably some cash to Hyatt too I’d bet, and Hyatt Hotels gets a lot of good press and exposure. It allows players to either keep the points for themselves if family can’t come, or use those points to make sure every family gets to go see their kids in a NY6 bowl. Feels like a win-win all the way around.

Last edited:
Hyatt would be insane to come back.

I mean...he has to at least test the waters. But I've not seen him in any 1st rounds of any mock drafts, so if he hears similar feedback from scouts it would be something to consider.

If you're not a sure fire day 1 pick with how NIL works is it worth coming back to try and improve your draft stock but also risk an injury?

Guess we won’t hear any more Kirby recruiting pitches about not using the portal

You mean Kirby doesn't have anymore walkons laying around he can plug in to the offense and just let it ride? He shouldn't even recruit QBs. Just grab kids off the Intramural Ultimate Frisbee team and suit em up!

I know a lot of reactions were “this NIL deal bodes well for him coming back next year..” but I don’t think has any impact and I think Hyatt’s dads response is an indicator of that. This feels like a short term, national stage NY6 NIL deal and all Hyatt hotels had to do was give a bunch of hotel rewards points.. and probably some cash to Hyatt too I’d bet, and Hyatt gets a lot of good press and exposure. It allows players to either keep the points for themselves if family can’t come, or use those points to make sure every family gets to go see their kids in a NY6 bowl. Feels like a win-win all the way around.
It also lays the groundwork for a future relationship if he blows up in the NFL.

I mean...he has to at least test the waters. But I've not seen him in any 1st rounds of any mock drafts, so if he hears similar feedback from scouts it would be something to consider.

If you're not a sure fire day 1 pick with how NIL works is it worth coming back to try and improve your draft stock but also risk an injury?

If he overcomes the media that is always out to destroy Tennessee and wins the Biletnikoff (sp) award he will be at worst a late first rd/early second rd pick. You dont come back to school if so. No way he can duplicate this years numbers with Milton even if we think Milton can improve. Go get your money.

Another 1k year could show consistency, maybe that’s big to the scouts, but the season he’s had would be incredibly difficult to replicate. Feels like he needs to capitalize on it. I think the main question is if he has another good to great year, but not on the level of what he did this year, does that move him up the draft? If scouts say “hey, another consistent 1k yards year and I think you are a 1st rounder..” then maybe you come back. If the scouts say “Another 1k yards will move you up but you still are probably a 2nd round pick..” then just leave now. Feedback will be important.

I saw a mock somewhere that had him going late first round.

One thing that makes me hopeful on Joe: he was extremely accurate this year throwing to the second team receivers, which are presumably the guys who he spent most of the spring/summer/fall throwing to in practice, so he knows their speed, etc, but then seemed a little off throwing to the first string guys. With a full year of first team reps, hopefully he'll develop that same connection.

People talking about Drake Maye, I saw where UNC CB Tony Grimes entered the portal. Former 5*. I haven't kept up with his career at UNC, but I remember really wanting this kid to come to Tennessee when he was a recruit. There's a lot of DB talent in the portal. It would be criminal not to upgrade our secondary.

If we stay pat and don't pursue some of these secondary guys, that eliminates the " we don't have talent in our secondary" defense next year. If we're not looking to improve, they must be happy with who they have.
It depends on which ones that we would actually consider talent…..Grines is very interesting prospect but the NC pass defense was no better than ours…. I hope we get the right guys.

It’s a tough balancing act, for sure. Don’t want to check out too soon, but don’t want to overstay your welcome, either.

I’m sure he will have some reservations about staying, for sure. Injuries, new QB, etc. And was Tillman’s situation this year a wake-up call for him?

But the other question is: can he find adequate accommodations in today’s NFL? Lot of good receivers in the league right now; it may be tough to find a vacancy he can occupy. There’s not always room at the inn for someone of his size.

One thing that makes me hopeful on Joe: he was extremely accurate this year throwing to the second team receivers, which are presumably the guys who he spent most of the spring/summer/fall throwing to in practice, so he knows their speed, etc, but then seemed a little off throwing to the first string guys. With a full year of first team reps, hopefully he'll develop that same connection.
I would wait to judge Joe….. that Vandy game was under awful conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back