Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been obvious for decades that rankings and polls and committees prioritize bad losses over everything else. Barely beating Bama at home doesn't trump a horrific loss to SC in their minds, and if you're surprised by that, you just need to look at history. Couple that with losing Hooker, and it was super obvious that this is what they were going to do.

If you trust any group of humans to behave exactly like they say they will, you REALLY need to look at history more.

And on top of it, the committee rankings don't really matter beyond the top 4. Who cares what a bunch of bureaucrats think? The bowls will choose who they want.
The top ranked non-playoff SEC team is a lock to the Sugar. The rankings beyond the top 4 matter.

Meanwhile, the Rose declining the top ranked non-playoff Big10 team is completely ad hoc. Contrary to your "you just need to look at history" thesis, it has never happened that the Rose refused the best Big10 team. And that's why the lock to the Sugar and the rankings beyond the 4th spot suddenly matter a lot.

But if the Rose and Orange Bowls are going to be decided in an ad hoc manner (that is, against all history), it would be ok with me, provided the Cotton Bowl joined everyone else in gerrymandering and chose Clempson over Tulane, and Clemson accepted. The Cotton Bowl would then have a NY6-worthy line up and a #6 ranking would result in a #6 pairing. We deserve to play a top 10 team.

Getting riled up is what VN does. lol

I've said a couple of times that I won't lose sleep. I kind of like that there's a swell of social media basically telling the recruits over and over that UT is better and Bama is a coddled relic getting by on past accomplishments. It's kind of nice.

But also, the committee is the authority here. Folks need to burn them with fire if they're not properly filling that position.

Your logic would basically equate to, "Why speak out against gov't corruption? I mean, it won't help. They are who they are. You shouldn't expect better. And by the way, their selective enforcement isn't really hurting me, so I don't see the need to make waves about it."
That's quite the stretch to equate those two. The committee wasn't elected by us and we can't change who sits on it like we can government. And this isn't a 100%, objectively wrong decision they've made like government corruption. I disagree with it, but it's not 100% definitely no question a bad decision. To some people, a bad loss is a far greater variable than having good wins. I can see how people would think that way, and it's not totally an illogical way to think. I think there's more merit to prioritizing strength of schedule over horrific losses, but it's not as black and white as people are making it seem.

And I'm 100% positive that if the situations were reversed, the majority of people on here would be saying "THEY LOST TO SC NO WAY THEY CAN BE RANKED OVER US!!!!!!"

Jimmy Holiday to the portal..
Good luck Jimmy!

View attachment 519433
I wish him much success. He never gave up on his team or the staff. Tried to do everything they asked of him. Wherever he lands, I hope it works out for him. He'll still be a #VFL in my book.

Last edited:
Old bcs system was perfect. I'll never understand why people thought expanding to 4 teams required moving to a committee.
Because back then the idea was the computers were too objective and valued numbers more than anything else. Really. Look back at old criticisms of the BCS Computers, it was seriously “not enough bias”

The top ranked non-playoff SEC team is a lock to the Sugar. It matters.

Meanwhile, the Rose declining the top ranked non-playoff Big10 team is completely ad hoc. Contrary to your "you just need to look at history" thesis, it has never happened that the Rose refused the best Big10 team. And that's why the lock to the Sugar and the rankings beyond the 4th spot suddenly matter a lot.

But if the Rose and Orange Bowls are going to be decided in an ad hoc manner (that is, against all history), it would be ok with me, provided the Cotton Bowl joined everyone else in gerrymandering and chose Clempson over Tulane, and Clemson accepted. The Cotton Bowl would then have a NY6-worthy line up and a #6 ranking would result in a #6 pairing. We deserve to play a top 10 team.
I honestly don't think we can beat a top 10 team right now with Milton. With Hooker, I'd say bring on anyone and everyone, I want UGA again and I'd feel confident we have a shot. With Milton, they're just going to play man or shallow zone and trust that he'll miss the deep throws, which he probably will most of the time.

And I think the bowls get to decide who they want regardless of committee rankings. I don't think it's a lock like you make it seem. Maybe in the small sample size it's worked that way, but I don't think it has to.

But maybe I'm just apathetic, we squandered our chance at the playoff, so I don't care as much about which non playoff bowl we go to, especially without Hooker.

Sugar or Cotton for us. Orange is taking Ohio State. Unfortunately OSU was there last year and won't travel as well in subsequent years especially after the fan base has been through another Michigan game meltdown.

I am surprised the Sugar is not licking their chops to get Tennessee. Our fanbase is hungry as can be and would pack that stadium. I don't think this is about rankings or anything else, I think it is truly about preference on teams and I think Sugar Bowl would take Tennessee.

One more rumor is for Chik Fil A kick off it might be Tennessee vs. Clemson in Charlotte at 2024. Might wait on that game....
Screw that...I'm all in on playing the easiest schedule possible from now on.

Because back then the idea was the computers were too objective and valued numbers more than anything else. Really. Look back at old criticisms of the BCS Computers, it was seriously “not enough bias”
I'm sure some people said that, but the official party line was "the eye test matters" or some nonsense like that.

Honestly though, with Hooker out, I don't think we're a top 10 team. You all are way more confident in Milton than I am. We'd be 8-4 this year with Milton in my opinion.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I'm sure some people said that, but the official party line was "the eye test matters" or some nonsense like that.

Honestly though, with Hooker out, I don't think we're a top 10 team. You all are way more confident in Milton than I am. We'd be 8-4 this year with Milton in my opinion.
I never complained about our ranking or said Milton was our second coming… just saying why the BCS fell out of favor.

I do think people gave Milton too much **** for the bad throws in a downpour. In limited action, he made throws pretty consistently when the weather was good.

I never complained about our ranking or said Milton was our second coming… just saying why the BCS fell out of favor.

I do think people gave Milton too much **** for the bad throws in a downpour. In limited action, he made throws pretty consistently when the weather was good.
We've seen enough of Milton to know he overthrows, you can't just blame the rain. Hopefully coaches micromanage him more for the bowl game and tell him DO NOT THROW DEEP ON THIS PLAY DONT EVEN LOOK AT THAT READ THIS PLAY if he starts to get trigger happy. He's capable of making shorter throws, especially to the boundary. Pretty much anything that can be a frozen rope, he's going to nail it.

Complete crap that either Hyatt or Hendon isn't on these All-American teams.
So many of these awards have lost their worth in my opinion. A lot of time it's about optics and how the "media" views your brand (e.g. Bama, Ohio St.). For example, Hyatt should hands down be the Biletnikoff winner but we'll see how that turns out.

If anyone was wondering if college football is rigged or if certain schools control college football, you got your answer tonight.
I wonder how many of the blind crowd scoffs at this? You have to be purposefully blind or just purely stupid at this point to not see the truth.

I get it...everybody wants to believe in the fantasy of fair play and an even playing field, but that is all it is...a fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back