Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is purely MY OWN PERSONAL THEORY, no proof of anything.

1. Chuck E Cheese recycles pizza and it's obvious
2. #1 was a joke about a current "trending" topic/viral video
3. my real point is below and unrelated to this list

I wonder if Banks is the one trying to make the switch to LB and the staff wants to keep him at RB? For some reason I thought it was Banks (not staff) that wanted to try out LB last season, or am I wrong?

2019 is a brand new year, but in 2018, the way JG stood in the pocket indicated he trusted his protection way too much...

Exactly. A guy who knows his O-line is leaky will err on leaving the pocket too quickly or bounce around a lot. He did none of that. Which should tell everybody something. He was not there mentally. He was locking on and had no feel for the pass rush - no clock in his head with an escape plan. Successful QB's have that.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Watched a highlight film of last season football. Two things stuck out to me about offense. Things we've all discussed, but worth commenting on again.

1. Chaney needs to feed Ty Chandler. He was without doubt the most explosive weapon on our team and did not get near enough touches.

2. JG has to trust more. Needs to trust protection more, the WRs more, and the play/OC more. Never seen a QB wait so long to see open WRs. Plays where a properly timed throw would have meant 6 he held it until he saw the WR open. WR then was under thrown. He does well with ball placement on 50/50 balls though, probably because he is told to just throw it regardless of how open it looks. A QB with this sort of tentative mindset needs an Air Raid type passing game to really shine imo. Chaney won't run that, but I expect he forces JG to throw quicker with slants & screens more.
JG struggles with Vision in general.

Struggles with pre-snap reads
Struggles to see the rush
Struggles to see WR coming open

Hopefully, that’s something that can be improved. Hope Chaney works extensively with him on it.

JG is our best hope for improved QB play this year imo.

Exactly. A guy who knows his O-line is leaky will err on leaving the pocket too quickly or bounce around a lot. He did none of that. Which should tell everybody something. He was not there mentally. He was locking on and had no feel for the pass rush - no clock in his head with an escape plan. Successful QB's have that.
Tells me he was waiting to -see- his targets be open and holding the ball too long...

But then the next play he'd have protection and hit the towel guy on the sideline. We all know offensively the oline is where this team has to see the most drastic improvement, we've got talent and good speed at the skill positions that are just going to get better and faster with Fitz this off season. When the line play improves JG is a better than average QB and Chaney will turn him into a top 4 SEC QB, mark it down!

Ansley calling plays makes me nervous. He hasn’t called plays before. I know Pruitt could take it from him, but with our talent level, we need the best play callers calling plays imo.

Could be a hybrid play calling situation...Ansley sends down 2 or 3 and Pruitt picks which one goes in.

I am not too worried honestly, I feel like we needed a "take it over" type at OC and we got that. Pruitt will be able to focus on being a HC more with this staff. I expect consistency in how the team plays to see improvement with him being able to focus on being HC and not a coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back