Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talent tracker: SEC recruiting rankings, 2016-19

I take two things from this...

1. Talent wasn’t the problem. Butch’s coaching and development were the issue. No surprise there.

2. The roster wasn’t completely devoid of talent when Pruitt arrived. It was underdeveloped and (probably) lacked his drive but there were pieces. There’s no way Missouri’s talent should beat us any year — even last year.

As the article said, Pruitt has to prove he can coach now.

GO VOLS!!!!! THOUGHT MAYBE I WOULD COME AND SHOW SOME LOVE TO MY OLD STUMPIN' GROUNDS! I AM LOVING THE FACT THAT YOU ALL ARE #1 IN THE NATION!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING THE BIG GAME ON TOMORROW!!!

tenor.gif

I am just kidding. Welcome back and Go Vols!!

Watched a highlight film of last season football. Two things stuck out to me about offense. Things we've all discussed, but worth commenting on again.

1. Chaney needs to feed Ty Chandler. He was without doubt the most explosive weapon on our team and did not get near enough touches.

2. JG has to trust more. Needs to trust protection more, the WRs more, and the play/OC more. Never seen a QB wait so long to see open WRs. Plays where a properly timed throw would have meant 6 he held it until he saw the WR open. WR then was under thrown. He does well with ball placement on 50/50 balls though, probably because he is told to just throw it regardless of how open it looks. A QB with this sort of tentative mindset needs an Air Raid type passing game to really shine imo. Chaney won't run that, but I expect he forces JG to throw quicker with slants & screens more.

Watched a highlight film of last season football. Two things stuck out to me about offense. Things we've all discussed, but worth commenting on again.

1. Chaney needs to feed Ty Chandler. He was without doubt the most explosive weapon on our team and did not get near enough touches.

2. JG has to trust more. Needs to trust protection more, the WRs more, and the play/OC more. Never seen a QB wait so long to see open WRs. Plays where a properly timed throw would have meant 6 he held it until he saw the WR open. WR then was under thrown. He does well with ball placement on 50/50 balls though, probably because he is told to just throw it regardless of how open it looks. A QB with this sort of tentative mindset needs an Air Raid type passing game to really shine imo. Chaney won't run that, but I expect he forces JG to throw quicker with slants & screens more.
I mean I get what you’re saying, but he’s had absolutely no reason to trust the protection his entire career.

Banks is a natural RB and just needs to develop, especially regarding ball security. He could become the hammer/slasher we need to offset the quicker guys like Chandler and Gray.

Last year, my opinion of Banks was that he was our most talented RB the moment he stepped on campus.
But, when you're a RB, the cardinal sin that will get you placed in the HC's dog house quicker than you can skin a cat is being careless with the football.

Nevertheless, even with Chandler's newfound bulk and the addition of Gray, Banks probably remains our most talented RB, IMO. Hopefully, over this offseason, he has dedicated himself both physically and mentally to protecting the football. Or else, he can prepare to get mired in what may turn out to be a deep depth chart at LB.

Last edited:
I mean I get what you’re saying, but he’s had absolutely no reason to trust the protection his entire career.
Oh I agree 💯% there just watching the clips again it definitely changes his in pocket habits. I think improved line play and an OC better equipped to game plan around his talents & matchups will help fix it.

Talent tracker: SEC recruiting rankings, 2016-19

I take two things from this...

1. Talent wasn’t the problem. Butch’s coaching and development were the issue. No surprise there.

2. The roster wasn’t completely devoid of talent when Pruitt arrived. It was underdeveloped and (probably) lacked his drive but there were pieces. There’s no way Missouri’s talent should beat us any year — even last year.

As the article said, Pruitt has to prove he can coach now.
There a ton of kids that get invited to the combine solely based on talent. We had zero. I’d say our talent is right on par with Mizzou at the moment, regardless of previous rankings. Yes, Butch was atrocious at developing. It’s hard to change that mentality when someone gets comfortable in it. Pruitt really was given that bad of a roster. There is a reason VQ rammed down our throats that our coaches were shocked at how bad we were when they got on campus.

"Banks is likely to remain at running back at this time "

gives me the feels

Well.... basically said with only 2 RB's and a 3rd that is a true freshman coming off surgery CJP is non-committal but Banks will likely be at RB for the time being. That does not translate to much confidence in the staff for his future at RB. Seems like they would prefer him at LB but have no choice but to put him at RB.

Reactions: chargervol
Well.... basically said with only 2 RB's and a 3rd that is a true freshman coming off surgery CJP is non-committal but Banks will likely be at RB for the time being. That does not translate to much confidence in the staff for his future at RB. Seems like they would prefer him at LB but have no choice but to put him at RB.

I diagree with your translation and reject it.

I diagree with your translation and reject it.
i agree with your disagreement.

the only reason they entertained the idea of moving him to LB was because he had fumblitis and we were thin at LB.

i think they'd much rather have him at RB, provided he fixes the fumbles, vs. a reform project to turn him in to a LB one day.....

especially when we're not in bad shape at all at LB, and have a glaring need for a big back like Banks.

cure the fumbles, and Banks is legit.

Gonzaga is an established program in basketball especially when you factor in who is in their conference, so it’s easily to build up very good regular season W/L records. They basically never do anything in the tournament. He’s made it past the sweet 16 twice in his entire career. So like i said it’s how you determine success. Do you determine it more post season or regular season. If a team team loses 10 games if they make a deep run in the tourney.

Which means he’s a heck of a coach getting more with less talent than cheater Cal. Cal cheated everywhere to get to where he is. Just makes sure others take the fall. He gets his pick of players at Kentucky which is top shelf talent others don’t get. Heck Hank, you could win games coaching those guys and your a film guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back