Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaches are only a “guru” in what they know tho. Teaching offense or defense in general is so tedious you have to know every single small detail/foot work/hand placement/eye progression etc for every single position on the field.

So all those guys like Kirby, Pruitt, lanning, muschamp are gurus of that system. They know it. Heupel is a guru of the Briles system, Paul Johnson was a guru of the flex bone. Some systems are easier to install and get started. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned the last handful of years is that everyone is pretty much doing the same things. The front office/admin, HC relationships, locker room chemistry, etc all that is so much more important than how much ball your head coach knows. That’s probably the 8th most important thing when you’re in that chair.
I'm not even talking about his failure as a head coach, surely no one will argue that his head coaching ability is on the level of Homer Simpson. I would, however, expect a defensive guru to field a defense that ranks in the middle of the conference. Is he good at instilling Saban's defense? I guess so. Is he good at adapting a defense given what talent he has? Obviously he's not. I guess he'll always have to have superior talent to be successful. If that's the case, I would question his skills.

I really guess it depends on your definition of a good X's and O's coach. Mine is molding something with what you have to work with. Getting 100% out of your raw materials. To me a coach that has to have the best talent to be good, doesn't equate to a great X's and O's coach but quite the opposite. Not sure what talent it takes when you can only succeed when you are out talenting everyone you play.
It’s all relative though and both can be true. The issue is in Pruitts case… he’s not stupid, he knows we didn’t have the tools to truly run the style of defense that’s in his dna so do you try to just rep it and recruit better/differently or do you try and change and install/teach a different system that you don’t truly know every fine detail of? That’s the issue with most of the coaching hires that never quite get going.

Recruiting issues and trouble aside, if Pruitt makes a better OC choice instead of Chaney, his story is different here.

The issue is, when you are basing out of a Rip/liz and man match quarters like the saban tree guys do… you have to have studs on your defense because at the end of the day… depending on the route distribution you are running cover 0 with a 4 man rush because you’re bracketing and Manning guys. There’s not a lot of spot drop with those teams like we play now.
I enjoy this. I wish we had more scheme talk in here. I love studying the ins and outs of schemes

Coaches are only a “guru” in what they know tho. Teaching offense or defense in general is so tedious you have to know every single small detail/foot work/hand placement/eye progression etc for every single position on the field.

So all those guys like Kirby, Pruitt, lanning, muschamp are gurus of that system. They know it. Heupel is a guru of the Briles system, Paul Johnson was a guru of the flex bone. Some systems are easier to install and get started. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned the last handful of years is that everyone is pretty much doing the same things. The front office/admin, HC relationships, locker room chemistry, etc all that is so much more important than how much ball your head coach knows. That’s probably the 8th most important thing when you’re in that chair.
Far and away the smartest thing I ever heard Pruitt say was something to the effect of "people think that calling plays is 95% of my job; that's about 5% of my job."

If a person is good at overseeing a recruiting operation and putting together/overseeing a staff, there is a very high chance that person will be a good coach. Even if they are far from a football savant.

I'm not even talking about his failure as a head coach, surely no one will argue that his head coaching ability is on the level of Homer Simpson. I would, however, expect a defensive guru to field a defense that ranks in the middle of the conference. Is he good at instilling Saban's defense? I guess so. Is he good at adapting a defense given what talent he has? Obviously he's not. I guess he'll always have to have superior talent to be successful. If that's the case, I would question his skills.
No you’re right. That system as a whole, has to have that though to succeed. No matter who is installing or teaching it.

I know we all love $hitting on Florida anyway we can, but Napier was a really good hire. He would have been considered a home run during our search. I hope he fails, but he was probably the second best up and coming coach behind Fickell.
Maybe.

Might be poop too.

Justin Fuentes was a home run too

Far and away the smartest thing I ever heard Pruitt say was something to the effect of "people think that calling plays is 95% of my job; that's about 5% of my job."

If a person is good at overseeing a recruiting operation and putting together/overseeing a staff, there is a very high chance that person will be a good coach. Even if they are far from a football savant.
No it’s true. And that’s why some people laughed when people with no coaching experience get talked about for head jobs but I’m becoming more willing to give it a try in cases.

The whole key is that your HC has to know his place and stay in his lane. Take Coach O, while he was at LSU he went on record saying he doesn’t mess with offense, or call coverages. He was basically the DL coach,recruiting coordinator, and clock management. It worked. Dion sanders is a great example. He is the recruiting coordinator and DB coach. Hire smart people and let them do everything else.

NILs- in most occupations you make the most money of your career towards the end of your career. Not with these NILs and professional sports in general. Complete reversal. $1 million at age 18 is why the top recruits first question these days are about NILs. Not that 18 year olds are the wisest, but $1 million at 18 can compound into an insane amount over time.

Paying kids $1M off of high school tape is a better way to go broke than betting 25-leg parlays every week (👀 @Enki_Amenra).

No it’s true. And that’s why some people laughed when people with no coaching experience get talked about for head jobs but I’m becoming more willing to give it a try in cases.

The whole key is that your HC has to know his place and stay in his lane. Take Coach O, while he was at LSU he went on record saying he doesn’t mess with offense, or call coverages. He was basically the DL coach,recruiting coordinator, and clock management. It worked. Dion sanders is a great example. He is the recruiting coordinator and DB coach. Hire smart people and let them do everything else.
People make the same mistakes in business. There is a connotation that the CEO or person at the top is a technical expert in everything, and knows more about everything than anybody else at the company. It's hardly ever the case.

What the person at the top has, if they are good at the job, is an ability to see the big picture and have the right people doing the right jobs at the right time.

Lebby is the scheme, Kiffin calls the plays.

Same scenario with Heupel and Golish (No idea if I spelt that right)
Lebby actually calls the plays… It’s mainly his scheme as well that Baylor Briles stuff wide splits etc. Kiffin of course sprinkles in his pro style stuff but Lebby indeed calls the plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back