Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it’s true. And that’s why some people laughed when people with no coaching experience get talked about for head jobs but I’m becoming more willing to give it a try in cases.

The whole key is that your HC has to know his place and stay in his lane. Take Coach O, while he was at LSU he went on record saying he doesn’t mess with offense, or call coverages. He was basically the DL coach,recruiting coordinator, and clock management. It worked. Dion sanders is a great example. He is the recruiting coordinator and DB coach. Hire smart people and let them do everything else.
The ultimate experiment would be to have a non football guy make 1 mil as HC. He is an awesome organizational/people leader and recruiter, give him 10 mil for assistants, so see if he can field a winning program by being the CEO and letting the football people do their jobs.

I've always wondered if that would work out better for some schools instead of trying to hire a football guru at HC.

an I'm glad to see someone else saying this. Being a HC has so much less to do with actual football than being a DC or OC, and it's a huge, huge change for an OC/DC to take a HC job because their job goes from 90% X/O football work to 50% or less X/O.
I wonder if as time goes on you see more OCs and DCs stay at that level instead of taking HC jobs. There are very, very few people out there who are cut out to be a college HC. It used to be way more common to see guys stick at the coordinator level, and that is when there was less money in the sport than today.

If you can make $2-3m/year calling plays and being responsible for one side of the ball, that is not a bad gig. Sure, you can double your salary to be an HC, but if you're already making millions, does it really matter? The amount of BS that you have to deal with exponentially increases as a HC.

Jeremy Pruitt should never be hired as a HC again, and never should have been hired into that position in the first place; but, as a DC, he's one of the best, if not the best, there is in college football.

The last I'm saying. If you disagree, take it up with Nick Saban...or Jimbo Fisher...or Mark Richt. Combined, those three men have more football knowledge in their collective pinky finger, than all the people who would argue with them.
Dang Sug..you are really totin that water for that sumbitch 😳

The troof will be known at some point, he will either get another DC job and succeed/fail, or he will not and that will be the answer. If he is really all that, he will get another DC job.

I think @SSVol has the right of it, Pruitt absolutely sucks at some aspects and is really good at others...or has been.

Butch Jones and Pruitt rolled into one. This might be a disaster folks.

and this is what some even on VN was wanting to come here and coach. Might want to grab the popcorn and enjoy the show. I still have not seen any Gator posters on here telling us how excited they are to have mini Pruitt coaching them

Reactions: OrangenSC
Still...the decline was 7-5 and 8-5 (and both those seasons ended with losses in meaningless bowls).

I think Houston was too quick on the trigger, but it's a weird school/admin there. If South Alabama makes big strides next year with him as OC he may create buzz again for himself.
I’m not a fan. I’ll leave it there.

and this is what some even on VN was wanting to come here and coach. Might want to grab the popcorn and enjoy the show. I still have not seen any Gator posters on here telling us how excited they are to have mini Pruitt coaching them
I was fine with him as a candidate…right above Chadwell. Heupel wasn’t on my list. That’s why getting our AD hire right was of top importance.

Man, I hear a lot about how bad the Lady Vols are and constant criticism of Vescovi.

Lady Vols 8-0 and on the verge of the Top 10; Vescovi is leading the men's team in scoring. I kinda think our fans sometimes suck.
If you read the MBB forum, I think a lot of the people in there think Tennessee is a top 5 program all-time and makes the Final Four every year, and set their expectations accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back