Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh
I truly think I’ve traced it down to canola oil!!
I’ve researched all the dry foods that have the same nasty taste, and the common ingredient is canola oil!! Lol
Granola and peanut butter, two things I use to eat daily, I cannot stand to smell or taste now.
Ya, peanut butter for me too! Lots of oils taste like covid to me, palm oil, peanut oil, soybean, rapeseed, canola.

Granola is surprising, maybe try some different brands? I didn't realize how many cereals were fried in oil till this, golden graham's and peanut butter crunch were my favorites, both are fried and taste like covid now.

Reactions: Z06VolinWV
While this may be true, players are way Bigger and Faster nowadays as well. So I believe there is a trade off.
And part of that is how money has been pumped into the game. Players of today don't have to hold off-season jobs to support themselves and their families. They can spend that time working out, building their bodies up. But I also think the bigger, faster guys of today are mentally softer than the guys of yesteryear. I doubt any player in today's league would go through the playoffs and a SB on a broken leg, then play in the Pro Bowl as well.

And part of that is how money has been pumped into the game. Players of today don't have to hold off-season jobs to support themselves and their families. They can spend that time working out, building their bodies up. But I also think the bigger, faster guys of today are mentally softer than the guys of yesteryear. I doubt any player in today's league would go through the playoffs and a SB on a broken leg, then play in the Pro Bowl as well.
I’ll agree with that. But you don’t really have to anymore nor need to with the quality of backups the NFL has now for the reasons you stated. Granted Manning tried to play through a season with a messed up spine…. So who knows.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I’ll agree with that. But you don’t really have to anymore nor need to with the quality of backups the NFL has now for the reasons you stated. Granted Manning tried to play through a season with a messed up spine…. So who knows.
Like I said, it's almost like two different games. I'm not sure bigger and faster of today would hold up against the hits and cheap shots that were allowed back then. The game used to be played a lot dirtier.

My personal view:
All interviews should be performed without knowledge of race or sex. Remove names, don’t allow face to face interviews, use a voice scrambler, etc. That way you get the best candidate for the position and no one can claim discrimination, racism, sexism.

I was actually sent a letter from a medical school that I applied to that told me that because I marked Caucasian and male on my application that I would not be granted an interview. They had to fill the remaining slots with minority and female applicants. I got so mad that I tore up the letter. I really wish that I had kept it. My GPA and MCAT scores were higher than the schools average accepted candidate…

My personal medical clinic staff: 1 male, 3 females. 2 Filipinos, 1 African American, 1 Latina. I didn’t hire anyone but the best candidate for the job. Race, religion, sex, etc. didn’t matter. All that stuff drives me absolutely nuts. My main point here is that hiring the best applicants, I have a great staff and nothing else matters to me or my patients.
We all know you only hired those individuals to hide your vast racisms

This is more what-if...but to me it's the same argument. Those guys would all still ball out in that era or this era. And the better guys of the 70s coming forward with all the same benefits of today's players would also ball out.

That's not the discussion I'm having at least. I'm saying very few of those 60s/70s guys were as talented throwers as the guys of the 80s and onward. In saying that I'm looking at their mechanics and their stats. A few guys though are exceptions to the blanket statement. Because I sure as hell am not saying Tim Tebow has better Mechanics than Terry Bradshaw or Archie Manning either.
Tebow would have flourished in the old days

There will always be outliers. Example King Henry.
Back when the average NFL OL sported 250 there was room for more. Had this same argument with Ubben when he tweeted that after a quarter being defended by Pat Beverley, Pete Maravich would have given up basketball. My response was there were umpteen Pat Beverleys with 10+ careers back in the day. There’s a reason we remember Pistol Pete and not them.

See..told you
tv-comedy.gif

The players of today's NFL do not take the hits that players in yesteryear's NFL took. The game has become softer. Sure, players today are physical specimens, but that's easier to maintain when you're protected by the rules. Tom Brady doesn't last 22 years if he's taking the hits that guys like Unitas, Tarkenton, or Bradshaw took. People willfully ignore that today's football is much, much different than it used to be. It's almost like two different sports as much as the rules have changed. A lot of physicality has been removed from the game.
That has literally nothing to do with what I said. I agree with all that.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Bring Jim Brown forward in time and I think he'd be equivalent of Derrick Henry, if not better.
Be interesting. It was said that he was a 4.7 guy but he was a phenomenal overall athlete and training for that overrated sprint prolly gets him to “acceptable”. No doubt in my mind that real knee surgeons would have made Gale Sayers a nightmare for today’s defenses.

Back when the average NFL OL sported 250 there was room for more. Had this same argument with Ubben when he tweeted that after a quarter being defended by Pat Beverley, Pete Maravich would have given up basketball. My response was there were umpteen Pat Beverleys with 10+ careers back in the day. There’s a reason we remember Pistol Pete and not them.
That’s a great point.

One very good qb from back in the day I haven't seen mentioned is Y.A Tittle. Saw some old footage of him slinging it many moons ago and was impressed at his arm. Who really knows how all the old school QB's would have fared with today's rules and who really knows how a Brady, Manning, Mahomes, et al would have performed and lasted back then as well. It takes natural talent, mental toughness and a desire to be the best regardless of era.

I’ll still never understand how Albright literally had all the long snapping accolades and then somehow seemingly forgot how to long snap….. it doesn’t make sense.
Two words for you: Chuck Knoblauch

(I don't really think that's the deal with Albright, but an example of how someone can be one of the best in the world at something and completely lose it for a while)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back