Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles Woodson, Reggie Bush (but his Heisman was vacated), Marcus Allen, Paul Hornung, and I can't think of anyone else that...Roger Staubach maybe, but didn't think Navy ever won a national championship
Marcus Allen won:

A NC
A Heisman
A Super Bowl
A League MVP
A Super Bowl MVP

Most Impressive!

Oddly enough...at least based on the last almost 30 years the answer would favor "yes"
View attachment 431948

Aikman, Dilfer, Johnson, Big Ben, Foles = all could be argued to be Average QBs who have won SBs with top 10 defenses. (I'd add Flacco too even though that Ravens defense was just outside top 10)

And if you look at the losing QBs that made it the number of average QBs that have made a SB far exceeds that of great QBs. Hell some people will even argue Eli is average and he's won 2 SBs with defenses outside the top 15.

So for this year's SB it's going to be interesting...

Defense Rank in PA
Rams = 15th
Bengals = 17th

Offense Rank in PF (both technically tied at 460 points)
Rams = 8th
Bengals = 7th
Wow

But defense don't matter. It's all on the QB.

Look at those Patriot and Bucs ratings 6, 1, 2, 8, 1, 7, 8. But yeah man, those SB's were all Brady! Had nothing to do with those defensive ranks.

To add to that...people want to remember the int against New Orleans in the Super Bowl...what about Manning not touching the football for over an hour in real time, all because the D couldn't get off the field?? I could go on...

The stat about defenses does it for me; but, also, the fact that Manning took FOUR DIFFERENT HEAD COACHES to the Super Bowl says it all, as well. Name me one other QB that comes close to that.

and 3 of those head coaches sucked

I also remember Peyton not making a SB because of that dumb overtime rule. He never touched the ball, and his team lost, because his defense couldn't make a stop. Peyton had one defense his entire career as good as Brady's, he was a shell of his former self, and he still won the freaking super bowl. Imagine Peak Peyton having that defense on the other side of the field.

I think Brees is overrated. Growing up Favre and Peyton was favorite. Early in his career Brady had a better team around him then Peyton. Peyton never had a good D until he got to Denver.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Big Ben gets a lotta hate, I personally don't say he's average though.

Troy Aikman is the poster child for average on epic team though. 165 games (94-71) 41st in career passing yards, 76th in career passing TDs, Only 10+ wins in 5 of 12 seasons, 165 TDs vs 141 INTs
Team was built around ball control (Emmitt Smith…OL) and defense. Stats suffered as a result but he made you pay with Novacek and Irvin. Worthy HOF. I wasn’t a fan back in the day but I appreciate his legacy more in retrospect.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Wow

But defense don't matter. It's all on the QB.

Look at those Patriot and Bucs ratings 6, 1, 2, 8, 1, 7, 8. But yeah man, those SB's were all Brady! Had nothing to do with those defensive ranks.

2012 was the poster child for "defense wins championships"

Ravens at 12th vs 49ers at 2nd and the starting QBs were Flacco & Kaepernick o_O

Oh man didn't realized Pitt won the Natty in '76. Nice!

Also just looked it up Hornung was on the Freshmen team the year Notre Dame won the national championship while he was there.
I actually had that trivia question a few weeks ago at a "Trivia Contest."
Proud to say I got it right......:cool:

I think Brees is overrated. Growing up Favre and Peyton was favorite. Early in his career Brady had a better team around him then Peyton. Peyton never had a good D until he got to Denver.
He had several in Indy. Worst rated got hot in the playoffs and was key to his lone SB win there.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
c41850fd4cc153ff1129b1c44092cf2f.gif

Oddly enough...at least based on the last almost 30 years the answer would favor "yes"
View attachment 431948

Aikman, Dilfer, Johnson, Big Ben, Foles = all could be argued to be Average QBs who have won SBs with top 10 defenses. (I'd add Flacco too even though that Ravens defense was just outside top 10)

And if you look at the losing QBs that made it the number of average QBs that have made a SB far exceeds that of great QBs. Hell some people will even argue Eli is average and he's won 2 SBs with defenses outside the top 15.

So for this year's SB it's going to be interesting...

Defense Rank in PA
Rams = 15th
Bengals = 17th

Offense Rank in PF (both technically tied at 460 points)
Rams = 8th
Bengals = 7th
You cannot discount the offensive team rankings when suggesting a SB winning QB is average. Adding in the prior year to your table, the Cowboys were #2 in offense and #5 in defense and won the SB. For Aikman’s three SB years, the Cowboys were #2, #2 and #3 in the league on offense. They also had a great defense, but you do not get to top 2-3 in offense and win the SB three times in four years as an average QB.

The Cowboys had a great offense in those years running and passing.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Team was built around ball control (Emmitt Smith…OL) and defense. Stats suffered as a result but he made you pay with Novacek and Irvin. Worthy HOF. I wasn’t a fan back in the day but I appreciate his legacy more in retrospect.

Troy was just lucky that he happened to be on the Cowboys when Jones decided to build a dynasty. Nothing else to it, guy threw for 20 TDs one year in his entire career. Even with Irvin (HOF), Emmitt (HOF), Allen (HOF), Haley (HOF), Sanders (HOF) and a host of other greats that were around him who haven't made the hall (Novacek, Moose, Woodson, Lett, Newton, Norton Jr.)

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Come on now SSVol. I was totally joking. No offense intended. 😇

I know. I'm not offended. But I also don't want it to seem like I think I know more than you. I don't. I read stuff that other smart people write.

Cognitive decline absolutely wiped out my dad's side of the family, and my dad is dealing with it now. It's a subject that I care deeply about, so I've studied and enacted change to limit the effects of the ApoE4 genetic problem I was blessed with. I only pointed out the B12 thing because I know first hand how much better methylcobalamin is vs cobalamin. Of all of the supplements I've taken over the years, the single biggest impact I ever observed was the improvement in my mental clarity within two weeks of adding a good methyl B12 supplement. I wasn't expecting it, I just started it to lower homocysteine, but it was shocking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back