Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what we have seen, he should be at this point. None of us see any of practice and few of us know very much about mechanics, leading the offense, etc. I think most people are like me in that we trust Coach Heupel at this point to put the best players out there. Also, many on here, including some quotes from VQ, have said that Bailey was clearly QB3 and likely to transfer out. He is a highly rated recruit and we have high hopes for him. I think most of the people repping Bailey are doing it because some of the other so called experts have said he is turrible.
He definitely isn’t terrible. I heard swain’s thought on him and i didn’t necessarily agree. I just think Bailey is raw and was a bad fit for chaneys offense. Bailey is a touch and pace thrower. That’s not a bad thing, i would consider joe burrow that type.

Couple things that i don’t think most realize is QBs are classified in various sub categories just like running backs (power back, one cut back, 3rd down back, etc) or other positions. It goes well beyond “pro style or dual threat”. It’s never made sense to me why QB recruits are classified more by their legs vs how they throw the ball.

You got power throwers like Stafford, mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert etc that can literally drive balls anywhere on the field at anytime.

Then you have pace and touch guys like Brady, burrow, Manning, bridgewater,darnold etc that rely more on anticipation and layering throws vs driving them.

Then you have body throwers: Trevor Lawrence, brees, baker mayfield, Tua, etc that is a combo of both but they slow down their release a little by trying to gain more torque and throw with their whole body.

Then the live flick throwers are guys like Zach Wilson and kyler murray where their release is faster like a baseball infielder but they can get sloppy with their lower body and feet. (Bringing their back foot off the ground when they throw is usually a sign of this)

None of these have a more direct route to success it’s all a scheme and philosophy based on what a coach wants in his QB.

Hooker is below average. Maurer has potential but is too inconsistent. This is between HB and Milton as of today
I think everyone is putting too much hype around Milton. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance but to me after watching the Orange and white game and watching Milton at Michigan, I would say its...

1a. Bailey
1b. Maurer
3. Milton
4. Hooker

Reactions: VolByLaw
I think everyone is putting too much hype around Milton. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance but to me after watching the Orange and white game and watching Milton at Michigan, I would say its...

1a. Bailey
1b. Maurer
3. Milton
4. Hooker

I don't think Maurer is 1b. Bailey was the clear cut best QB out there last Saturday. I don't think Hooker will ever see the field with Milton coming in and I believe we are putting a lot of expectations on Milton to come in and in just 4 weeks learn this system and become the starter (not saying you are saying this). When you think about it Milton hasn't had that much experience either and I am sure he felt that wasn't a great fit for him there and I don't blame him. There is a lot for him to learn and Bailey has the most experience and the looked the best and I am really pulling for him to shine and I don't mean anything against the other QB's just me pulling for him to be great here.

The taxes paid from the wealth in the suburbs don’t go to the city of Memphis, however, the majority of the wealth comes from employment in the city of Memphis. So, if there were no redeeming qualities to the city, that wealth wouldn’t exist.

I get it. Everyone likes to crap on the city. Been happening since I stepped on campus at UT. There is a lot that goes into it, and some of the topics involved could get heated and not worth it here.

But the county, as a whole, is important to UT for several reasons, including the Medical School being located here. I don’t crap on Decatur County or Fentress County or Grundy County, so it mystifies me sometimes when Vol fans want to do it to others with Shelby County. I will leave it at that.
Fair enough. I personally don't see how money being there equates to the city not being crap. The money is there because of the gigantic corporations and its historical economic value of being on the MS river, not because the city has so many good qualities. Money doesn't move even from crappy cities. Detroit has a ton of super wealthy neighborhoods and it's not a good city either. Doubt we'll convince each other though, so no need to keep going at it. Glad you could discuss civilly.

The taxes paid from the wealth in the suburbs don’t go to the city of Memphis, however, the majority of the wealth comes from employment in the city of Memphis. So, if there were no redeeming qualities to the city, that wealth wouldn’t exist.

I get it. Everyone likes to crap on the city. Been happening since I stepped on campus at UT. There is a lot that goes into it, and some of the topics involved could get heated and not worth it here.

But the county, as a whole, is important to UT for several reasons, including the Medical School being located here. I don’t crap on Decatur County or Fentress County or Grundy County, so it mystifies me sometimes when Vol fans want to do it to others with Shelby County. I will leave it at that.
Wait! How did I get in this discussion?

He definitely isn’t terrible. I heard swain’s thought on him and i didn’t necessarily agree. I just think Bailey is raw and was a bad fit for chaneys offense. Bailey is a touch and pace thrower. That’s not a bad thing, i would consider joe burrow that type.

Couple things that i don’t think most realize is QBs are classified in various sub categories just like running backs (power back, one cut back, 3rd down back, etc) or other positions. It goes well beyond “pro style or dual threat”. It’s never made sense to me why QB recruits are classified more by their legs vs how they throw the ball.

You got power throwers like Stafford, mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert etc that can literally drive balls anywhere on the field at anytime.

Then you have pace and touch guys like Brady, burrow, Manning, bridgewater,darnold etc that rely more on anticipation and layering throws vs driving them.

Then you have body throwers: Trevor Lawrence, brees, baker mayfield, Tua, etc that is a combo of both but they slow down their release a little by trying to gain more torque and throw with their whole body.

Then the live flick throwers are guys like Zach Wilson and kyler murray where their release is faster like a baseball infielder but they can get sloppy with their lower body and feet. (Bringing their back foot off the ground when they throw is usually a sign of this)

None of these have a more direct route to success it’s all a scheme and philosophy based on what a coach wants in his QB.
Thanks for the comps, interesting read.
What’s your take on BM? I’ll go 1st.
Far to often he locks in on a receiver. Inconsistent on bread and butter throws in live action (receiver screens). Throws deep into double coverage too often 6-7 times in scrimmage and was lucky there were no picks, IMO. Seems distracted by things like Twitter, Tats, and Left Eye Lopez which makes me think he lacks some maturity. He throws too many picks, happened in HS and happened in games at UT. He is very fast (legs). I think he is also very fast with his decisions which get him in trouble. His speed seems to be straight line and not as much wiggle so he’s more likely to get injured. When he makes big plays I’m still waiting for the mistake to make up for it. So what does Hype do to correct the above? For the sake of the team I wish there was more development with him to date but it doesn't seem to clicking and his clock is ticking... wish it weren’t so and hope it changes...

So what does CJH want at QB? What did CJP want?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Hard to base everything off one Spring Scrimmage. Looks like the deepest and most talented group are the WRs, and in my opinion the best choice to get the most production out of them would be Bailey at QB. Would have Hooker at #2 because Maurer's inconsistency and forcing things too much concerns me. Salter needs to redshirt and Milton is the obvious wild card. I think Small will end up being an upgrade over Gray, and there is a possibility of Evans and one of the others creating a committee approach. OL looks more fundamentally sound than at any time last year. Hard to tell about D other than they lined up sound. Taylor, Burrell, Flowers, Tank, Charles, McDonald, Jackson is a promising group Think a CB from the portal would be a good addition. Not as worried about DL than some. Middleton needs to get his head screwed on right. Picking up kid from Texas and having Banks under the wing of an actual human being makes the LB room instantly better. I'm going with 8-4 and some major flips in recruiting close to ESD.

@1vol8 Maurer needs his money back from you.
Who says I charged him? You act like that’s a negative that he ABLE to throw from off platform. News flash...... that’s a weapon! Not a knock. If qb A doesn’t need his feet set to throw accurately but qb B does, who’s more dangerous to play against?

Who says I charged him? You act like that’s a negative that he ABLE to throw from off platform. News flash...... that’s a weapon! Not a knock. If qb A doesn’t need his feet set to throw accurately but qb B does, who’s more dangerous to play against?
9BC7E3AC-7E19-46A3-B84D-C282FD03FF90.gif
Are you kidding? Now I know for sure you are FOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back