Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't follow much Knoxville media. Some of them do seem to have an ax to grind. I can't remember when it started-- at the end of the Dooley debacle? With Butch? Josh Dobbs and Trey Smith have been the only UT players they reported much about outside football.

Adams led the charge against Fulmer. Add in Pennington’s nega know it all when at KNS along with his TV show. Hyams turned snarky and influenced the rest on there plus the Will West bizarro world commenting. Dearstone lost his mind followed by the breathless gibberish of Heather. Bad entertainment instead of accurate sports reporting and analysis. The way of the world today.

Banks--Will Return
French--Will Return
Willis--Will Return

Too Too---Regressed after Freshman year. Sophomore version is not a big loss.
Crouch--Not gone yet. If returns will benefit from simpler scheme or move to an edge rusher.
Beasley--If allegations are true, needs major help.

I would guess the LB room will look a LOT different when the games start to count.
At this point, I think they have to put Marley at LB in the fall

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
My original thoughts of 7-8 wins are quickly draining with each lost linebacker. Ugh.

For once would be nice to have all go right in Y1 to get the ball rolling. But that isn't allowed in this alternate universe. I want to go rejoin the one from the 90s...man I bet we're still winning big in that universe.
Give me a bowl and I’ll swing from the trees

Could be. But I think this staff is sharp enough to develop who they need and make adjustments. Hard to base player performance on the last three years because they never knew where to line up.
I just want to see some players with cowboy collars and a mean streak. Something psychological bout a LB with the collar always made them look like monsters. And by mean streak I mean on the field, not the kennel. Put in a bunch of rushers in mixed looks, pre-snap stunts like Georgia did last year, and just make the other team have to make snap reads. they might get a lot of completions for 10 yards, but they will also make the wrong read for an INT occasionally or eat a sack lunch.

There is a big slide in responsible behavior with the younger generation going back a decade or two. These kids need to be raised and be given tough love when they make mistakes. You don’t pander to their egos. That’s how you really provide the opportunity for youngsters to become responsible adults.
You absolutely give them consequences. You make the consequences fit the event and the level of involvement in that event. These are the details that none of us know. I am sure that he will have consequences, one of which is being indefinitely suspended from team activities. I guarantee you that there is no one reading this board who has not been given a second chance for a pretty bad error in judgment. Without knowing all the facts, you have to go with what our team leadership decides.

If we don’t get some transfers for LB and DB...we will be.
We aren't not a 3-4 win team. That's ridiculous. Are we going to win 8? Probably not unless we land some nice transfers. But are we only going to beat the 3 cupcakes and Vandy? That's not going to happen. French and Willis will be back. We have Banks at LB who, according to Hank, was our best LB last year. Who knows what will happen with Beasely, we don't even know if the allegations are true. Whitehead will be at LB in the next week imo. There will also be more transfers after spring and oh, jucos haven't even played their season yet so juco LB's will also be available. At DB, we have AT, Flowers, Tank, Slaughter, Burrell, George, McDonald and others with experience there. Are we loaded at DB? No. But we aren't bad there and we have a lot of experience and that's not to mention the freshmen in the DB group. Oh, and the strongest position group on the defense is the DL with the best DL coach in the game coaching them up.

Are we going to be elite on defense? LOL no. But we don't have to be elite. We have enough offensive talent to carry this team as no one plays defense any more anyway. We aren't a 3-4 win team. We are a 5-7 win team. That isn't great, but it's laughable to say we're a 3-4 win team because Beasley is gone.

We aren't not a 3-4 win team. That's ridiculous. Are we going to win 8? Probably not unless we land some nice transfers. But are we only going to beat the 3 cupcakes and Vandy? That's not going to happen. French and Willis will be back. We have Banks at LB who, according to Hank, was our best LB last year. Who knows what will happen with Beasely, we don't even know if the allegations are true. Whitehead will be at LB in the next week imo. There will also be more transfers after spring and oh, jucos haven't even played their season yet so juco LB's will also be available. At DB, we have AT, Flowers, Tank, Slaughter, Burrell, George, McDonald and others with experience there. Are we loaded at DB? No. But we aren't bad there and we have a lot of experience and that's not to mention the freshmen in the DB group. Oh, and the strongest position group on the defense is the DL with the best DL coach in the game coaching them up.

Are we going to be elite on defense? LOL no. But we don't have to be elite. We have enough offensive talent to carry this team as no one plays defense any more anyway. We aren't a 3-4 win team. We are a 5-7 win team. That isn't great, but it's laughable to say we're a 3-4 win team because Beasley is gone.
This team could very well have 4 wins. I think 5 most likely with 4 being right behind it.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back