Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my good deed for the day....I found a piece of gravel on a paved road and I threw it back in a gravel driveway, so I guess I helped it get home. Feeling pretty good about myself........pretty good, yes in deed.

I found a skittle in a sea of starbursts.

I ate it.

I did my good deed for the day....I found a piece of gravel on a paved road and I threw it back in a gravel driveway, so I guess I helped it get home. Feeling pretty good about myself........pretty good, yes in deed.
Unless you unwittingly threw it back into a rival driveway that’s currently at war with the piece of gravel’s native driveway. You may have gotten that poor sumbitch killed. They might have sent his family his severed gravelhead and then his poor kids saw it. And now those kids are psychologically damaged and prone to substance abuse, and probably will grow up to be gravel stoners that just lie around in a driveway all day.

Cruel bastard.

Unless you unwittingly threw it back into a rival driveway that’s currently at war with the piece of gravel’s native driveway. You may have gotten that poor sumbitch killed. They might have sent his family his severed gravelhead and then his poor kids saw it. And now those kids are psychologically damaged and prone to substance abuse, and probably will grow up to be gravel stoners that just lie around in a driveway all day.

Cruel bastard.
Your right....damn it. It was a pea gravel and it was a crush and run driveway. Now since I'm going into politics I will broker a deal with the crush and run not to use them in cement and I will make a deal insuring all the pea gravel will be used in landscaping only. Once I have them convinced I am a good guy we will use the crush and run to fill up pot holes and the pea gavel to make side walks........that could work.......if I can just figure out how to get paid under the table........thanks for the idea. And yet another political career is born....simple isn't and it could be lucrative . SKITTLES FOR EVERYONE !!!!

Last edited:
In 2014 we went to Norman to face OU and got beat. That year OU with Heupel as their OC went 8-5 and after losing to Clemson 40-6 in the Citrus bowl Heupel was fired. This is the article written by the OU Rivals writer of that event. The article is from January 2015 and you can tell the writer had a lot of respect for Josh. There’s more at the link at the bottom of the quote.

Since he arrived back at Oklahoma in 2004, I've asked Josh Heupel hundreds of questions about coaching. The last question I ever asked Josh Heupel as a member of the OU coaching staff, he didn't answer.

Standing in a noisy hallway in the bowels of the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium, I asked Heupel, as an assistant coach at Oklahoma, my final question: Are you concerned at all about your future?

Heupel continued answering the previous question and ignored my harsh question.

I didn't re-ask it.

Even though I wanted his response, I didn't want to re-ask it. If it was over, I didn't want that to be the way it ended with Heupel at Oklahoma.

For me the most ironic thing about Josh Heupel as a coordinator wasn't the difference between his brilliance as a quarterback and his inabilities as an offensive coordinator.
It was that Heupel put everything he could into emulating Bob Stoops.

Heupel talked like Stoops.

He'd been practicing his "Stoops-speak" since he was a player at Oklahoma. Stoops' no-nonsense persona and positive reinforcement worked for Heupel as a player. So Stoops became Heupel's blueprint for success as a coach too. But that also meant Heupel built up a wall of double-talk and football clichés that were off-putting to fans and media alike. Bob Stoops can get away with it. He's a national championship winning coach that has one of the best winning percentages in college football.

Heupel was fine being robotic in the public eye. But the public wasn't always fine with the calculated answers and lack of explanations. He was just an assistant coach. He wasn't Bob Stoops. Few were ever let inside to see his true personality. I think that was why it was so easy for fans to call for Heupel's job. When people see nothing there, they assume nothing is.
They weren't invested in Heupel as a person, because they really knew nothing about him.

There were times Heupel let his guard down with me over the years. There were times in camp settings or running into each other on high school fields, where there were no recorders.
I saw a personality few ever got a chance to see. There were times he was upset at me because we might have been reporting interest in certain quarterbacks when Heupel wanted it known their only real interest was in one guy. I saw some personality in those instances, because we really got to argue with each other. There was a time he stopped me as he was walking out of an OU-Texas press conference after a big win. "You see Cody Thomas threw 7 touchdowns last night?" he half-whispered. "He's pretty good!"

I wish those flashes of personality would have been more numerous for Josh Heupel at Oklahoma. For all the respect and admiration he has for Mike Leach, you wished Heupel had more stories about Pirates and Geronimo in him. Just something to add some color once in a while.

But publicly, Heupel always emulated Stoops.

I wondered how Heupel took it meeting with Bob Stoops last Saturday when he was informed he'd be let go. I'd heard the stories about how he had become withdrawn from the other assistants after the bowl game. It had to be an earth-shattering experience to be fired by the guy you saw as your mentor. The coach he modeled himself after.

Stoops had to let him go. But it was the coach he won a national championship for on the field. It was the guy he helped build into a coaching legend just two years into his career. I don't think there's ever going to be a bigger kick-in-the-gut story than this one in the history of the Bob Stoops era.

Bob could fire his brother Mike. But Mike had his opportunities. He staked his claim in Arizona, had his chance to build a program on his own.

I once asked Heupel about his ultimate goal in coaching. It was shortly after he was named offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. It was one of those few moments where it was just us talking. He was showing some of his personality. I asked if the ultimate goal was to succeed Bob and be the head coach at Oklahoma. He grinned, laughed. You could see Josh Heupel daydream just a bit.

"Yeah," he answered. "That would be the ultimate goal."

We went from there to me asking: "Are you concerned about your future?" as the last thing I ever asked him.

I'm glad he didn't answer the question.

I'm still glad I didn't ask it again.

SoonerScoop - Heupels firing a tough ending to watch

As silly as it sounds, I miss getting out to bar trivia once a week with my friends. I haven't drank in years, not since well before my liver transplant, but just going to the bar, hanging out, answering mindless questions while trying to win free food. I miss that.
not being an ass. have you considered tyring to put together a zoom trivia deal on social media? i mean, we used to do that kind of thing back in college via AIM. #dork brigade

now you youngsters have all these new found toys like the Googleschrome! seriously its like kids come out the womb knowing how to work a cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back