Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

Stopped reading at “clean with the NCAA”

Those schools are still being investigated and they will get theirs in due time. Because we were open and honest about our misdoings, we will not be treated nearly as harshly.
History does not agree with you. Name me one case where the NCAA has gone easy on a school has fessed up?
This thing doesn't go like we all would think is fair. The NCAA isn't like a good parent that encourages their kid to do the right thing and tell the truth. History has proven me to be right and I expect this time to be no different. I would be ecstatic if I'm wrong.

Last post from me for quite a while most likely...at least until I see a legit reason to be excited about our football program, which I think will be many more years down the road.

IMO, Tennessee just cost itself more money in the long run, than paying the 12 million buyout and firing Pruitt without nuking the program with severe sanctions. I thought we had it all planned out with better administration making decisions, when we hired White for AD. What a move! Then, we hire another group 5 HC to experiment running a big time program, when we could have made that same hire without handcuffing him with having to deal with severe sanctions. How stupid are we!

I’m sure Coach Heupel is a great coach, but his chances of succeeding are limited, because this will be his first taste of running a big time program, and he has to do it with his hands tied behind his back. It’s sad for him and sad for our fanbase! He would have had a much better chance to succeed without us nuking the program and hiring him.

I don’t care what the media and everyone else says. Our fanbase is the greatest fanbase of anyone in the country! We have continued to show out although the administration made decisions that were questionable at best for the last 13 years. We are this toxic because they made us this toxic, and they continue to make it worse. They made it worse yet again, as Coach Heupel has very little chance to succeed with the hand he is being dealt.

Coach, I hope you can somehow succeed, because you are in a very difficult position due to our inept administration.

AD White, thanks for taking over this mess. I hope you can somehow clean all of it up and get us back to competence within the next decade.

OG out.
See you tomorrow OG.

We’re never going to recruit in the top 5 every year. It’s not going to happen. give up that dream. Clemson doesn’t do it and look at them. A recruiting class is just as good as the coaches you have receiving them. Are bamas recruits just THAT much better than everyone else’s in the conference or the nation? No. They turn them into Fn cyborgs when they get there. That’s the difference.
I think we can recruit in the top 5. But not without success first.

We will never recruit at that level without winning at a high level first.

Reactions: Aesius
It’s UCF.

I dont have the time to look every bad team up, but there are teams that are down right terrible who have signed at least 1, 4 star. They won 35 games or so in 3 years in a recruiting hotbed and couldn't pull a single 4 or 5 star. Thats inexcusable. Memphis has had at least 3 or 4, 4 stars in the same time frame. You going to say "its Memphis" because they've won 8 less games in the same time frame.

I hope you're right, Newt, but I just ain't feeling it atm.

Because you were snowed by the "insiders." It is what it is. At least he has potential. If we had a different AD and we hired Heupel in 2019, we would all be super stoked. It's all perception and until we play some games that is all we have. Objectively considering the situation we are in, this was a good hire.

I dont have the time to look every bad team up, but there are teams that are down right terrible who have signed at least 1, 4 star. They won 35 games or so in 3 years in a recruiting hotbed and couldn't pull a single 4 or 5 star. Thats inexcusable. Memphis has had at least 3 or 4, 4 stars in the same time frame. You going to say "its Memphis" because they've won 8 less games in the same time frame.

Tell me if you from Florida, would you want to go play in the central part of the state?

Because you were snowed by the "insiders." It is what it is. At least he has potential. If we had a different AD and we hired Heupel in 2019, we would all be super stoked. It's all perception and until we play some games that is all we have. Objectively considering the situation we are in, this was a good hire.

Agreed. The 6-4 season hurts his stock, as does the DW connection. But hell, Franklin had a horrible COVID season too. As did other coaches/programs that are normally pretty good. A lot of people wanted Cristobal and he went 4-3.

What are you even arguing right now? It’s about where teams historically recruit at. You’re getting caught up on stars at the wrong places. Is there really a difference in the 309th ranked 3 star and the 297 ranked 4 star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back