Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a guy on TOS that is duck hunting with Ty and the sons of UT (see TS thread) who seems to think we’re in on some bigger transfers and deep into the ‘22 class right now. Also seems to think that there will be a big turnaround next season, well, that’s the way I’m reading it anyway. Tifwiw

Believe when I see.

I also honestly don't know. I will have major doubts about any hire we make, because you're absolutely right, our UT admin is absolute garbage and are not seriously committed to excellence or they would throw everything we have at one of those big names. They would do like Alabama and not take no for an answer. It is the one thing about Bama I admire. They don't care about profit margin, they care about WINNING..period.

I wouldn't revolt over a Hermehn hire, I would get behind it, but I don't believe for a second that he could fix this mess. He was handed a better roster, in a state loaded with talent, in a weaker conference..and he couldn't cut it...period. What in the hell do you really see that makes you think he could fix this toxic dump?

Hence my depression over our situation.
I see a coach who has gone 54-22 as a HC, and 5-0 in bowl appearances, and I think yeah, I'd give that guy a shot. That's what I see.

I do think it can be better. Fixing our abysmal offense, addressing the culture, developing the QBs, holding position coaches and coordinators accountable and getting Pruitt to be more of a HC should get us out of the gutter. But longer-term, we need a better solution.
No offense LA but this made me LOL. If we fix everything then everything will be better. Well of course. But who is going to develop our QBs? Chaney isn’t leaving so how is the offense going to get better? Culture is still bad three years in? How will that be fixed? Problem is Pruitt hasn’t fixed anything and we are getting blown out by our rivals and that will not change until we change our head coach.

Not if you are pushing them to do something they are not physically capable of doing. There is a point where you have to realize you are not going to get anything more out of them no matter how much you want it, or even how much they might want to do it. Then you have to start putting them in situations where they can succeed. Take JG for example since the QB position is the one everyone sees. Do you think DM or LK could have managed him better? Would it be because they turned him into PM or because they used what he had? There was an old saying that Bear Bryant could beat you with his players, or he could beat you with yours if you switched.
The exact quote with regard to Bryant was: "He could take hisn and beat yourn and take yourn and beat hisn." Quite eloquent.

I agree with that to a point, but Texas has real talent, and a huge talent advantage against everybody they play not named Oklahoma. They have the defensive talent to be better than they have been the last few years.
Fair but there’s a lot of good coaching in the Big 12. Herman seems to lose to teams like TCU or IA ST that have good coaches who are good identifying under the radar guys that become NFL players

You folks need to get used to the idea that coach Pruitt will be back next year. While this season has been the worst Tennessee football season of my lifetime, I still believe Pruitt is a good coach. The Phillip Fulmer bashing on this board has been absurd. Phillip has dedicated over half of his life to this great university and I trust him to do what he feels is best. He’s smarter than 99% of the folks on this board. Jeremy is going to shake the staff up again, bring in another solid recruiting class along with a couple of attention getting transfers, and we’re going to have a solid 2021 season. Let’s ride.
41411819-08B3-4A7F-B2F9-00638978ACF0.gif

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
No offense LA but this made me LOL. If we fix everything then everything will be better. Well of course. But who is going to develop our QBs? Chaney isn’t leaving so how is the offense going to get better? Culture is still bad three years in? How will that be fixed? Problem is Pruitt hasn’t fixed anything and we are getting blown out by our rivals and that will not change until we change our head coach.

Or, to put it another way: if I just had some ham, I'd have a ham and cheese sandwich, if I had some cheese. And some bread. And mayonnaise.

There’s a guy on TOS that is duck hunting with Ty and the sons of UT (see TS thread) who seems to think we’re in on some bigger transfers and deep into the ‘22 class right now. Also seems to think that there will be a big turnaround next season, well, that’s the way I’m reading it anyway. Tifwiw

Ha like we discussed last night, let's just not go for those big transfers...I'm joking. Maybe I missed a reply but did he say we were deep in '22 class as a whole or the in state portion?

Here is the sad reality:
Pruitt was never going to be fired, he is Fulmer’s man.
UT is not investigating to buyout Pruitt.
UT is not doing background on a potential new HC.
It is all a big nothing burger.
I am not saying that I endorse this.
After this season they are absolutely doing background on potential hires. If nothing else preparing for next season unless the trajectory takes a big turn for the better.

I agree it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

After this season they are absolutely doing background on potential hires. If nothing else preparing for next season unless the trajectory takes a big turn for the better.

I agree it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

I’d be surprised if our AD is that forward thinking TBH. I also believe that anything .500 or above gets Pruitt a 5th year if Fulmer is still there.

Reactions: DuckRiverVol
Ha like we discussed last night, let's just not go for those big transfers...I'm joking. Maybe I missed a reply but did he say we were deep in '22 class as a whole or the in state portion?
He didn’t specifically mention it and also didn’t specifically say ‘22 kids but did say that there are some absolute studs lined up that want to play with TY. So I took that as ‘22 kids.

Reactions: VolMike16
Fair but there’s a lot of good coaching in the Big 12. Herman seems to lose to teams like TCU or IA ST that have good coaches who are good identifying under the radar guys that become NFL players
Then why do we want a guy who gets outcoached all the time by guys with lesser talent? I mean people are in here drooling over Herman like he is some great sure thing...it is ridiculous imo.

This year was a failure, no question about it. I believe this program needed a complete overhaul before Pruitt took over. It was always going to take four or five years to really get this thing turned. That’s the vision Pruitt sold Fulmer on before he was hired, and that’s the vision now. Let him get three or four classes of guys that he’s recruited and developed, and then let’s see where we’re at. I happen to think this next year, with good QB play, will look a lot different. We have some dudes in his freshman and sophomore classes. Let’s see how it plays out.
Thanks Fulmer! Lol! Five years! After I cash out $20 million then destroy the program you can finally realize that I was wrong and have no idea what I’m doing. Biggest problem I have with anything related to Pruitt is where is the development? I sit with VFLs every Saturday and they harp on how bad these kids are taught.

Here's my attempt to change it up...

I picked a random play from our first game against South Carolina. Here's the alignment for our offense, and how South Carolina lined up against it.

1) What play would you run out of this alignment?
2) What personnel would you swap out, and how would that affect your play call?
3) If you were the DC for South Carolina, how you call the defense against our personnel on the field in this formation?

View attachment 335915

Here's the actual play:

IZ double the nose to the left then have the guard climb to the second level linebacker. Have 7 climb to the OLB.

Reactions: RiotVol
He didn’t specifically mention it and also didn’t specifically say ‘22 kids but did say that there are some absolute studs lined up that want to play with TY. So I took that as ‘22 kids.

Good deal. They need to pull Hayden as well. I've heard he is a guy that other players would flock too. I'd love to have his dad in a role like Baron's dad is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back