Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, Wade is the son-in-law of the NCAA president.
jawdrop.gif

Over the years I think I’ve read as much as I can find about how the recruiting services make their evaluations and do their rankings/ratings. The bottom line is it’s all pretty subjective and the services aren’t particularly transparent with the qualifications of the evaluators. I’ve often considered if they were really that good at their jobs wouldn’t one of the top tier P-5 schools pay the guy a lot more. Based on what I have seen I think the revenue generated by the services is far, far less than the recruiting budgets for any of the P-5 conferences. jmo.

Anyway, I’m working on a theory that kids that tend to be rated higher obviously, for one reason or another, got the attention of the service. In other words, to move a kid up in the rankings, again , for whatever reason, requires the service to be proactive while some kids may fall in the rankings simply because others which have gotten more attention may have “jumped” them in the evaluation process.

My theory is that we have our own exceptionally talented staff when it comes to evaluations and obviously our staff invests tremendous amounts of attention into the kids they sign. So in considering the service evaluations I wanted to see who had the most favorable assessments of the top 25 guys in our 2020 class, again, because it’s likely that would have to be an invested position on their part. jmo.

I think offer lists are informative but not determinative. Sometimes a kid isn't pursued because he doesn't fill a position of need or maybe it's already known that he favors a particular school so why invest the effort.

I used the highest national ranking from the individual services and in the absence of that I used the composite national ranking. For Position ranking I just used the highest regardless of service. In rare cases that’s tricky because for example with Reginald Perry the three main services all had him evaluated for a different position and didn’t even agree on which side of the ball he should play. For Albright I used the premiere long snapping evaluation service.

Rivals publicly liked the class most, ranking us as 7th best in the country, 247 composite had us at 10th, which was drawn down by the pricks at ESPN who had us at #18. If I use algebra and do a straight average to solve for 247 instead of their composite I think 247 in-house would rank our 2020 class at #5 in the nation last year. (7+18+X)/3 = 10; X = 5. jmo.

So here’s my take on the 2020 recruiting class.

View attachment 285215
It would be hard for me to be more optimistic about this incoming class. Holiday, Spraggins, Perry and Robinson being at the bottom and ranked where they are makes me really think this class will be special top to bottom.
Great breakdown, thank you. Would be interesting to see this for the current class as well if you have the time and desire.

Our house went on the market this week. Hoping for a quick sale so we can move to Montana (Flathead Lake area). Can't wait to get there and start the next chapter in our lives, and live in an area that will seem like heaven compared to the Memphis area.

Don’t know where you live, but parts of East Memphis and some suburbs have an unbelievable real estate market right now.

Reactions: Volinmem
Watching the 86 sugar bowl. Never liked Keith Jackson. What was his issue with the Vols?
He was doing a game in Neyland during the '70s and made the comment of how surprised Tennessee could draw so many fans in such a remote area. He received blowback and that was the beginning. It appeared to be a backhanded compliment.

Gray and Chandler should be able to do plenty of damage against that defense if our offensive line is what we hope it will be. We do not want that offensive on the field too many times. Control the clock and give Cimaglia a chance at the end.

Hard to say if we have a QB that could take over that game in week 2.

Although, I can't imagine this Oklahoma defense being all that much better than South Carolinas last year, Kentucky's or Missouri's. If JG is to start this game I could see where he could hit enough open guys against an average defense, assuming the running game is as good as we hope, to have a chance to win in the end.

Considering that, I think we underestimate how much an effective running game could really help our QB's. It takes a lot of pressure off of a QB if he knows that the defense has a hard time stopping the likes of Gray and Chandler. JG could actually thrive if our running game is good on a weekly basis. Just feel like his game is a little too measured and he misses on a lot of play action opportunities since he's often short on the deep ball.

Saying all that, if we have a really good running game I really don't see that much downside to putting in a strong armed aggressive Maurer and a supremely talented HB. Control the line of scrimmage you control the game.
Last year their D was 38th overall behind both UK and Mizzou that we beat. No idea if they are getting better or worse.

We definitely hit the nail on the head. Gotta give credit to Davenport for firing Curry and Hiring Fulmer. And give Phil credit for seeing Pruitt had it and giving him the job
Always thought Bev was done wrong. I never judge someone by their worst mistake...it’s if they continue on that trend or correct it. She bucked the powers that be. Seems like our new chancellor is an improvement, tho.

It would be hard for me to be more optimistic about this incoming class. Holiday, Spraggins, Perry and Robinson being at the bottom and ranked where they are makes me really think this class will be special top to bottom.
Great breakdown, thank you. Would be interesting to see this for the current class as well if you have the time and desire.

I'm probably not going to mess with the 2021 class until it is signed, sealed, and delivered. Between now and then not only are the ratings and rankings fluid but there's probably some fluidity also in the composition. What I probably will do though is the same analysis for the balance of the roster for the coming season. We have some "under the radar" guys who began to show up last year, Bennett for example. All 3 services had him as a DT. Rivals liked him best as a 5.8 4-star and a #16 position ranking, ESPN also had him as a 4-star (80) and ranked him #35 as a DT, 247 wasn't as high on him, giving him a 86 3-star rating and a DT position ranking of #54. On Kivon's NCAA profile he points out that he's also a basketball player so I think his atleticism is/was probably underrated and why he's now (with our staff and system) beginning to gain some notice as an OLB. He's also a smart kid, a solid student. Anyway, I may get to the rest of the 2020 roster in the next few days.

Thanks for your comment.

I’m laying down looking at camelback mountain. No beer yet it’s 8:43 but I bearded iris started distro here and I have some in the fridge.

Welcome to AZ! It’s only supposed to reach about 93 degrees this afternoon, so you’re (amazingly) here at a good time. It should be back near 110 degrees by Wednesday or Thursday. Is this your first time to AZ, or have you traveled here before? Let me know if you’d like any recommendations. Also, be aware that AZ is under a nighttime curfew until Monday, June 8 as a result of the rioting/looting that occurred about a week ago. Fashion Square Mall is still closed as a result of those events.

Last edited:
I’m laying down looking at camelback mountain. No beer yet it’s 8:43 but I bearded iris started distro here and I have some in the fridge.
I haven’t heard of bearded iris before, but I just checked out their website. Where did you pick some up in AZ? I’d like to give it a try.

Always thought Bev was done wrong. I never judge someone by their worst mistake...it’s if they continue on that trend or correct it. She bucked the powers that be. Seems like our new chancellor is an improvement, tho.

What's her worst mistake? Agree she was not a team player. Which is pretty important in a chancellor role.

She did a get a nice little payout to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back