Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I really don't get it though. He was so highly rated out of HS. He's never been close to the dual threat label he had as a recruit. But he has heart. He's tough as nails and will play through HUGE hits and injuries. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

So is his issue coaching, mental, or physical?

I think it's almost all mental. Coming off the bench, he played like a legit SEC QB. It's probably a lot easier on the psyche to be the guy who comes in to clean up the other guy's mess, rather than being the guy who starts the game with a history of bad play and a real possibility of getting yanked after a few bad passes. He was constantly on edge about making mistakes and losing his spot. Once he officially lost the starter job, he started playing better because the pressure was off.

If he was here during year 5-6 of Pruitt's tenure and Pruitt himself was established and the team itself already had a strong identity, I think JG would have done much better because there would be more reassurance to him that it was his job (plus more continuity in the offensive scheme). Obviously no position is safe and if you stink it up, you'll get pulled, but if the team around you is strong and the coach isn't clawing for wins to establish himself, you get a longer leash. But Pruitt couldn't afford to waste games letting JG get into a rhythm. He needed wins however he could get them.

Finally decided to leave my alerts alone. Just hit 1k. I dont know how you all with more do it. I want to clear them
6379 since i said eff those things, i'm done being a slave.
:)
3a1325a35f4b877ad8f430aa747d8a9c.gif

Man I really don't get it though. He was so highly rated out of HS. He's never been close to the dual threat label he had as a recruit. But he has heart. He's tough as nails and will play through HUGE hits and injuries. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

So is his issue coaching, mental, or physical?
I would think (1) prior coaching (2) mental (insecurity, aware of all the criticism and overly concerned about making a mistake that would cost him his job.) (3) Hopefully this year he can relax and play with confidence. 4. the physical tools are there

Over the years I think I’ve read as much as I can find about how the recruiting services make their evaluations and do their rankings/ratings. The bottom line is it’s all pretty subjective and the services aren’t particularly transparent with the qualifications of the evaluators. I’ve often considered if they were really that good at their jobs wouldn’t one of the top tier P-5 schools pay the guy a lot more. Based on what I have seen I think the revenue generated by the services is far, far less than the recruiting budgets for any of the P-5 conferences. jmo.

Anyway, I’m working on a theory that kids that tend to be rated higher obviously, for one reason or another, got the attention of the service. In other words, to move a kid up in the rankings, again , for whatever reason, requires the service to be proactive while some kids may fall in the rankings simply because others which have gotten more attention may have “jumped” them in the evaluation process.

My theory is that we have our own exceptionally talented staff when it comes to evaluations and obviously our staff invests tremendous amounts of attention into the kids they sign. So in considering the service evaluations I wanted to see who had the most favorable assessments of the top 25 guys in our 2020 class, again, because it’s likely that would have to be an invested position on their part. jmo.

I think offer lists are informative but not determinative. Sometimes a kid isn't pursued because he doesn't fill a position of need or maybe it's already known that he favors a particular school so why invest the effort.

I used the highest national ranking from the individual services and in the absence of that I used the composite national ranking. For Position ranking I just used the highest regardless of service. In rare cases that’s tricky because for example with Reginald Perry the three main services all had him evaluated for a different position and didn’t even agree on which side of the ball he should play. For Albright I used the premiere long snapping evaluation service.

Rivals publicly liked the class most, ranking us as 7th best in the country, 247 composite had us at 10th, which was drawn down by the pricks at ESPN who had us at #18. If I use algebra and do a straight average to solve for 247 instead of their composite I think 247 in-house would rank our 2020 class at #5 in the nation last year. (7+18+X)/3 = 10; X = 5. jmo.

So here’s my take on the 2020 recruiting class.

ScreenHunter 404.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back