Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It'll be some of each.

This started with the trade war. COVID-19 has just reinforced those lessons. I would expect the gov to do a critical review and determine which things to emphasize with tax incentives. At the very least we should be broadly diversifying supply. Having one bunch of folk control the supply of critical stuff (drugs, electronics, rare earth metals, etc) is big dumb.
Rare earth materials may be most concerning. Though, as I understand, it is simply where it naturally exists. Some of those just happen to grow in China. Beyond finding our own source or hoarding it, that's just a tough situation. The others are controllable.

Rare earth materials may be most concerning. Though, as I understand, it is simply where it naturally exists. Some of those just happen to grow in China. Beyond finding our own source or hoarding it, that's just a tough situation. The others are controllable.

I think we actually have plenty. It's largely due to regulation and cost of extraction. Again, why develop our own sources when it is cheap to buy from China? I can think of a few reasons now that might have made less sense 5 years ago. Hopefully we'll take it to heart.

Maybe I notice it more because it's my pet peeve.
But watching people on both sides chomping at the bit to slam the political opposition, is just so frustrating.

Whether comments under a story on a news site or here on VN. When I 1st joined, hit the PF a few times when major news happened. Great source with so many bringing breaking news. But no matter how great the tragedy, never took more than 5 posts for someone to use it a justification to attack a political idealism. No, not just the idealism, the living, breathing, fellow Vol fans that just happen to believe in a different path for the same goal.

No matter how disgusting the act, no matter how many were suffering, several can barely remember the token condolences before using it to spread their contempt. Contempt not directed at the evil murders or hideous diseases but for fellow Americans that happen to believe in a different path.

I've accepted that we'll never see the abilility to put differences aside and actually accomplish things together, suppose Reagan and Tip O'Neill were about the last. But I can't help but teach my kids to defy this political disease. Prefer they stay away period but if not, they will respect others and keep their minds open, show respect and focus on the true issues.

No point to any of this other than to let others, that may also feel the same, you're not completely alone...tho it does feel like it at times. We'll never be as vocal as those filled with such animosity, but we are, at least, out here.
Y'all are still my fam regardless, stay safe and Go Vols.

You may want to hold her hand and let her know that it's ok for her to let go. Reassure her that everyone is going to be ok. She may be worried about what happen to the family when she leaves. We said this to my brother and it seemed to help him at the end. Just a thought. God bless bud.
Yes..we have all been doing that...Mom is just one of those strong stubborn people that are hard for death to put down.

Just got back from the grocery store.
no thanks to chicken breast at $4.99 a pound but most everything else was available.

Pulled pork tonight, pizza tomorrow and a fresh round of corned beef... which was amazing earlier this week
Im thawing a boston butt now to cook over the weekend. No chicken available , but frozen stuff. I had couple butts in the freezer so it sounds like a good time to smoke one.

It's official. After 3 of the 6 weeks of unpaid training my gf is being sent home. And will have to start over again another time . Wow

For those of us retired, I am not happy being the target of this virus and my retirement savings are being gutted.

I am very sorry, however, for those of you losing your income through this unemployment situation and the economy tanking. We are all in this together.

Hopefully this will be significantly better in 4-6 weeks and before we are catapulted into a depression.

Please, younger folk, be more considerate of others and practice a greater "social distancing" to help us get control of this sooner rather than later.

First 2 positive cases at the hospital in middle TN where my mom works. 1 stayed, the other went home. People are stealing their gowns and face mask. Now the staff will be tested but none of it has started. Hits real close to home. Sorry for all of you who are experiencing difficulty through these times; whether it be sickness or health.

We sure can, if we pay people dirt cheap wages, no health benefits, etc. I don't see the benefit.

Manufacturing will follow wages. It is moving away from China and into India and soon Africa. Diversifying where goods come from is a nice hedge, but bringing back simple manufacturing will only happen if accompanied with automation/robotics or slave labor.
i tend to agree with the merit of your post, but i'm not sure to the extreme of the last line....but i understand why anyone would think that....i've said for years, the day american adult males start picking lettuce in the field for a living is the day lettuce prices jump to 12.99/head.........vs. 1.29/head with who's doing that work now....you can draw whatever conclusion you want from that, but it is what it is........lol.

you can go down a big rabbit hole on this topic but...bottom line, if we are going to bring back manufacturing on a large scale, there's gonna have to be changes in how our government operates....be it relaxing some regulations, driving out corporate/industry interest and corruption, reducing or eliminating the supposed "need" for labor unions, spreading the tax burden around....and making it easier for the American worker to self sustain on whatever wage they earn.....after all, if cost is driven out by some of the measures above, that doesn't necessarily equate to the american worker wanting to take a pay cut so prices for the products can be lowered, nor does it equate to the corporation necessarily wanting to lower the the price to begin with.....and they probably can't do both right now anyway given where inflation is today.

but, if you were able to cut some red tape out of the process (something i think Americans have been sick of for a long time anyway, but now are really sick of it given the information on how the FDA has handled patient testing and vaccine testing for covid), and get the self intersts out of infulence, the other (and would probably be the most impactful to our economy) thing that would free companies to do, and new companies to be created to do, is start manufacturing operations for alternative energy, fuel, transportation and transit, and medical research, more tech investments etc.......could get back to infrastructure managment, and market creation.....which is what led this country to it's biggest booms in it's history....

remember, there were a lot of advantages for companies to outsource manufacturing, and with the government's help, it was made relatively easy to do so....otherwise they wouldn't have done it to begin with..... lot of hurdles to overcome domestically, already mentioned earlier. and there's not much incentive for companies to be truly innovative in some industries like medicine or transportation, in part because other big industries are very co-dependent on them and have vested interests in their long term success...and, let's face it, there's never been any money in finding the cure to anything or having to compete with an equal rival industry for market share......lol.....it's why Gillete developed disposable razors....need a reason to bring the buyer back....as many times, and as often, as possible.... and as long as oil is king, virtually zero is being invested in really getting alternative fuel vehicles or transit systems going....when in reality, there's probably a boat load of money to be made if you can put enough in it, to make it affordable to the general population. almost zero effort in that arena right now, aside from a few relatively recent ones like Tesla. but for many, they're priced out of that option, and it's not necessarily convenient yet for recharging etc....which again, goes back infrastructure management....there's a whole market out there that's untapped.....

but with both of those industries, there's a lot of hands in those cookie jars....pharmaceutical and insurance compaies...oil and steel have vested interets in the auto/transportation industry...they don't want to see Ford or GM producing alternative fuel vehicles on a grand scale....Insurance compaies don't want people not seeking treatments. pharmaceutical companies don't want 1 use drugs and you're done....lol.

but...that's how you really create jobs.....and none of that, to me anyway, means that oil, medicine, transportation or any current industry or method of doing what we do should have to change. but it would at least make things more competitive, and provide a lot more options for the workforce....AND CONSUMERS.....

anyway...i'm oversimplifying some of this for affect lol, but the nuts and bolts are not really off the mark....we're a market based economy. so compete...or die....i say.

and lastly there are some basic national security reasons some select industries' manufacturing should always have a relatively significant presence in the lower 48....that's always been true, but i think recent events have shined a bright light on that. falls in the category of 'id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'.....

tl;dr version....there is no simple answer. you have to take the long view on this because it will take time and wholesale changes on many levels...government and private sector both...to make the changes needed to really bring back large scale manufacturing and have sustainable job creation/growth. and at the end of the day, none of it as described here will likely happen anyway. :)

Reactions: chargervol
yeah...SEC fans be like...."ok, we can do this..."
zdGWkli.gif

I've hesitated to wade in on this, and will do so only on the hopes that it might genuinely persuade some and possibly save lives. I imagine it will ruffle feathers, and some will lose respect for me but I'll go ahead because if I am out to just placate the crowd, I'm of no use.

In regard to the response of the Christian, or "church goer" continuing to attend public worship services, (church is a people, not a building)...

He (Jesus) answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” - Luke 10:27

I propose to you that when my "loving of God" is at odds with "loving my neighbor" there is a breakdown between understanding and application because the two should always be inextricably joined at the hip. We are all free to express our faith in this country so long as it does not infringe upon the freedoms of others. In my opinion, the attendance of public worship services at this time is not "loving your neighbor" as this will clearly increase the risk of spreading the virus. If you are looking for any type of scriptural reference regarding outbreaks, the Old Testament gives clear instructions to practice "social distancing" to stop the outbreak. There are no edifications to just drum up some more faith and carry on.

I am a man of faith and reason. If the practicing of my "great faith" puts my neighbor at risk, am I that much different than the religious extremist terrorist who is only concerned with how he is expressing his faith and does not consider how it will affect those whose lives he will destroy as he cries out "God is great!"? This is a strong statement that will offend many, but I urge you to consider it before you dismiss it.

Fortunately, the Corvid-19 virus has literally 0 affect on how I love God. My Sunday morning attendance denies me the fellowship of my brothers and sisters, but we will come together again soon enough. God doesn't live at your church or my church. You may feel an emotional tie to attending that collection of bricks, carpet and seating but God transcends all of that. As for my worship of God, I carry it with me wherever I am. As for loving others, for most of us, the best way we can do that is to physically be out of their presence. Give a call, video chat, pray over the phone, safely bring food to those who cannot get out... there are a lot of ways to love others, but in this season, it must be with caution, not stubbornness masked as faith.

______

Those are my thoughts in a quick sitting. Once again, my intent is not to condemn or inflame, but it's my current rambling thought on the matter.

If you hate what I've said, please save the reply and just write to me all of your hateful words at UlyseesE.McGill@gmail.com I'll be reading them all.
Catching up on the week and agree with this.

I’ll say this for me personally. Our church was hit by the tornado, so we’re not only out of our building for an indefinite amount of time, but now out of any gathering for an indefinite amount of time. I already miss the togetherness of the body. Isolation for the believer is never a good place. Heck, isolation in general is bad. The faster we are restored (and the building repaired), the better.

Signed,
Impatiently Waiting in Mt. Juliet

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back