Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m assuming you didn’t play D1 collegiate sports, there’s a lot of broke people walking around with no time to do anything.

Playing in front of people Has no monetary value. If they got their fair share of this, they would have access to all of that with a safety net for putting their bodies on the line for the opportunity to one day get paid for their talents.
Notoriety has monetary value: EXPOSURE TO NFL TEAMS, not to mention players now receive a cost of living stipend, to answer the first part no I haven't but I have walked around broke as a non-athlete at UT and I would have gladly put on the helmet and shoulder pads for a free education rather than paying around 15K a semester for Tuition, books, food, and an apartment.

Notoriety has monetary value: EXPOSURE TO NFL TEAMS, not to mention players now receive a cost of living stipend, to answer the first part no I haven't but I have walked around broke as a non-athlete at UT and I would have gladly put on the helmet and shoulder pads for a free education rather than paying around 15K a semester for Tuition, books, food, and an apartment.

How's your health holding up? I think that's the risk and the missing variable in your assessment.

I’m assuming you didn’t play D1 collegiate sports, there’s a lot of broke people walking around with no time to do anything.

Playing in front of people Has no monetary value. If they got their fair share of this, they would have access to all of that with a safety net for putting their bodies on the line for the opportunity to one day get paid for their talents.

Try playing in front of no people and see how much monetary value that has.

hahahahahahahaha

BlaringUnrulyEasternglasslizard.gif
Dirty Old Bastard! Wish he didn't have that nasty injury at A&M. Our defense was all downhill from there.

That was the greatest comeback in recent memory, along with Indiana this year, and UGA 2015.

There is absolutely value in the platform that high level collegiate sports provide. Zion Williamson made 9 figures because of what Duke provided. Sure, Zion was going to be rich regardless, but he wasn't going to be that rich. The TV exposure and being at a blue blood like Duke certainly made him money, and it's not debatable. He wasn't the highest recruit on his team.

There is absolutely inherent value in playing in front of 100k people each week in a stadium and millions more on tv. You are showing off your talents. It would be like if I litigated court cases with 100k people watching. If I did a damn good job, some might make me a better job offer.

Not only that, 90-95% of the players in college aren't going to make money (or much money) in professional sports, so they do get the benefit of having nice facilities, training, nutrition, lounges, and medical care. Yea, it's not capitalism where the star player gets paid, but the 3rd string OL does get benefits for putting his body on the line, too.

How's your health holding up? I think that's the risk and the missing variable in your assessment.
What is the risk as a percentage? Have you done a nationwide analysis on all college athletes because I sure haven't. I would bet that the chances of college athletics having long term effects on your health aren't as high as you think, there will always be freak accidents like what happened to Inky but those are isolated occurences, and the majority of CTE it seems has occurred a lot more in NFL veterans and not in people who only play college ball, but maybe I'm wrong, I can't say for sure. On top of all that, how do you pay the athletes? Based on revenues of the different sports programs or what? I bet the water-polo players aren't going to like that system at all.

There is absolutely value in the platform that high level collegiate sports provide. Zion Williamson made 9 figures because of what Duke provided. Sure, Zion was going to be rich regardless, but he wasn't going to be that rich. The TV exposure and being at a blue blood like Duke certainly made him money, and it's not debatable. He wasn't the highest recruit on his team.

There is absolutely inherent value in playing in front of 100k people each week in a stadium and millions more on tv. You are showing off your talents. It would be like if I litigated court cases with 100k people watching. If I did a damn good job, some might make me a better job offer.

Not only that, 90-95% of the players in college aren't going to make money (or much money) in professional sports, so they do get the benefit of having nice facilities, training, nutrition, lounges, and medical care. Yea, it's not capitalism where the star player gets paid, but the 3rd string OL does get benefits for putting his body on the line, too.
This 100%

I hate the idea of paying players. Go to the XFL and break yourself for peanuts if you don't want to play for an education. I hate the pros and rarely if ever watch them. Money ruins everything.

If you live long enough, you might. The Chrysler Hell Cat was $84 K in the showroom last year. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was listed at $64K. The prices just keep going higher every year.

I hope I dont live long enough to see used car prices reach 80k. I'm in my 30s and have yet to buy a new car.

Feels like a false dichotomy argument. It's not about about players being compensated at all or not (clearly they are), but rather what is their proper equity? It would be akin to working for a billion dollar company with 200 employees and their "workhorse" junior employees being told to be happy making 30k/year. Are they getting paid? Sure. Is it equitable? Probably not.

At institutions bringing in a minimum of $120m revenue ('17-'18 USA Today top-25 MINIMUM revenue), 85 kids making 50k/year would be a WHOPPING....3.5% of their budget. Now, that doesn't even have to be paid immediately. It could be put toward future healthcare, a trust fund, etc for the kid's long term benefit and care, given that he has sacrificed his body and mind for the university's gain. I don't think 3.5% is that much to ask to give an employee even a fraction of his actual value.

I hate the idea of paying players. Go to the XFL and break yourself for peanuts if you don't want to play for an education. I hate the pros and rarely if ever watch them. Money ruins everything.

There is zero chance that I would pay for NFL season tickets what I pay for UT. Zero.

And while the football team may not need the money I donate, I'm guessing the other sports do.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back