Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve created a new acronym for the foreseeable future regarding Tennessee football. Feel free to adopt as your own.

DCJW (don’t care, just win)

Land a 5* recruit? Don’t care, just win.

Fire a coach mid year? Don’t care, just win.

Settle for a 2* diamond in the rough? Don’t care, just win.

Dealing with a global pandemic? Don’t care, just win.

Team is young and missed spring practice? Don’t care, just win.

Want to where black jerseys? Don’t care, just win.

Roster is way more talented than it was 3 years ago. He has a QB, he has elite talent at WR, and will have a strong OL next year. He'd have us playing really well.
And if the one time transfer rule passes, how do we know kids will stay to play for him?

People need to be wary of guaranteeing Freeze would be successful here. He's not just going to show up at UT and start winning with lesser talent. Foolish to believe that.
That's not necessarily true. We have many, many, many experienced head coaches who post in here every day and they all cannot be wrong.

Sure but to me that means he was exposed. He didn’t have the balls to stand in the fire and make a good decision so he copped out easy w schiano. There were certainly better ways to cop out easy too imo, Pruitt being an easy one as well.

That’s fair and i know ultimately all that matters for an AD here is what your football coach does.... just funny how a couple things completely derailed our university and cost him the best job he will ever get lol

Win some lose some we would have a coach.
How long do we give him before we expect him to compete? Understand, I'm not arguing for Pruitt, but if we make a coaching change, I don't expect that person will find quick success. They'll have to recruit talent to do that. Fire Pruitt and the current class collapses. People expect the one-time transfer rule to pass, so it wouldn't surprise me to see players leave if Pruitt is fired, maybe even Henry T. I don't believe Hugh Freeze would bring the immediate turnaround that some do. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, he's not, but this will be another rebuild. That's just reality.

That’s fair and i know ultimately all that matters for an AD here is what your football coach does.... just funny how a couple things completely derailed our university and cost him the best job he will ever get lol
I just want to know what happened at halftime of the UGA game. Its like a switch flipped and this turned into a Dooley coached team. IT really is pretty amazing how quickly things changed.

How long do we give him before we expect him to compete? Understand, I'm not arguing for Pruitt, but if we make a coaching change, I don't expect that person will find quick success. They'll have to recruit talent to do that. Fire Pruitt and the current class collapses. People expect the one-time transfer rule to pass, so it wouldn't surprise me to see players leave if Pruitt is fired, maybe even Henry T. I don't believe Hugh Freeze would bring the immediate turnaround that some do. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, he's not, but this will be another rebuild. That's just reality.
8 wins in year 3 and be in the game late against the big 3. Thats all I would expect. A chance to win the East in year 4 and a visit to Atlanta in year 5. that's what I want from every new coach.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Exactly. I really think he could keep some of this recruiting class and keep some kids from transferring. Offense wouldn’t be a problem that’s for sure. He had Bo Wallace beating bama.
Most of the defensive players we have committed have specifically said they're coming here for Pruitt and staff.

Also can we go ahead and agree to not use the old “he was left with nothing” when he got here excuse like we do with all our coaches
Exactly x2 not claiming 10 wins year one but he’d have a much better roster than Pruitt started with. I still would be concerned with DL and an edge rusher.

Also can we go ahead and agree to not use the old “he was left with nothing” when he got here excuse like we do with all our coaches
Depends on what he's actually left with. If key players decided to transfer, then it would be true to say he was left with nothing.

Reactions: Rishvol
I just want to know what happened at halftime of the UGA game. Its like a switch flipped and this turned into a Dooley coached team. IT really is pretty amazing how quickly things changed.

I don’t think a it’s that... it’s been happening since he got here but people liked Pruitt and wanted him to succeed so bad and made every excuse for him in the world when he didn’t.

Year 1: Blown out by Mizz (NFL QB, they were hot but still), blown out by vandy.
Year 2: GA State, BYU,

Not to mention never even coming close to beating UGA, UF, or Bama. Then you factor in the constant staff turnover for really no good reason. It makes me wonder why such an accomplished DC was bouncing around even after winning titles to other DC jobs. That never happens.

Best roster an incoming coach would be left with. One main reason its the perfect time. I hope they don't wait until the cupboard is bare this time

I don’t think a it’s that... it’s been happening since he got here but people liked Pruitt and wanted him to succeed so bad and made every excuse for him in the world when he didn’t.

Year 1: Blown out by Mizz (NFL QB, they were hot but still), blown out by vandy.
Year 2: GA State, BYU,

Not to mention never even coming close to beating UGA, UF, or Bama. Then you factor in the constant staff turnover for really no good reason. It makes me wonder why such an accomplished DC was bouncing around even after winning titles to other DC jobs. That never happens.
I will admit, year 1 I ignored the red flags. Last years bad start had me concerned but with the finish I thought he might've figured something out. Then the first two games this year I thought ok maybe. But then after half of UGA its like our team has never played ball before.

Youre point on him bouncing around is a good one, if I had one guess its because of his personality and how hard he is to get along with.

Dang man, I've had hope with each unproven coach we've hired. Because I'm a true vol fan . This would be the first proven coach sense Majors. And I think with the offense philosophy he would bring and the amount of talent on this team now is the time he would start winning. Normal season probably no worse than 8 -4 first year.

Reactions: barrylee
Meh, it's a short-lived happiness if you get nailed for it. Ole Miss had two thirds of Freeze's wins vacated.
Stop. I will gladly take a natty right now even if it gets vacated 2 years later. We won it on the field and got to live through those memories of the process. That’s like saying USC hired Pete carrol for nothing.

IF we make a coaching change, now would be the exact time they pass the one-time transfer rule because this is absolutely when it could screw us the most.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Best roster an incoming coach would be left with. One main reason its the perfect time. I hope they don't wait until the cupboard is bare this time
Desperately need some edge rushers and DL to improve. IF and I know it wouldn’t happen but IF we could get Freeze and keep that whole class together it would be ideal for a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back