Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally a cancel culture I can get behind. END STANDARDIZED TESTING FOR ALL
Agreed. I know a lot of very qualified and intelligent people that just hated the format of testing. Test anxiety affects some people in a very physical way. To me the apprenticing method seems to work better than a classroom/ test method. A lot of people leaving college with a wealth of theoretical knowledge and zero practical experience.

How old is your Dad? It's clear the narrative is 'conomy over lives.' We are fortunate we'rw able to keep our little ones home. Neighbors and us have formed an alliance to do schooling.

Come on, mang. That’s not fair. I don’t want to argue tho.... How are y’all doing schooling? That’s great.

Agreed. I know a lot of very qualified and intelligent people that just hated the format of testing. Test anxiety affects some people in a very physical way. To me the apprenticing method seems to work better than a classroom/ test method. A lot of people leaving college with a wealth of theoretical knowledge and zero practical experience.
So I helped my 9yo on his 3rd grade math testing after Covid hit and schools closed. This is for his placement in 4th.
I’m no mathalete by any stretch, but did go all the way to trig, calculus, etc in college.
I truly struggled to help him with many questions and the format his test was presented in!! It was a complete joke.

The formula for HIT (herd immunity threshold) is 1-1/R0.

In trying to find the R0 for our state I finally stumbled onto the University’s dashboard for tracking the Virus. I’m impressed. I’m mean I really impressed. University of Tennessee. Go figure. Way to go guys.

ScreenHunter 483.png

ArcGIS Dashboards

Anyway, the mean value for R0 in Tennessee right now is 1.1 so plugging that number into the formula we get 1-1/1.1 = 0.091 which means to hit the herd immunity threshold in our state we need 9.1% of the population to be immune. Our population is around 6.9 million so that implies we need around 627k people to be immunized to reach herd immunity.

As per a previous post, we know from the CDC that the number of cases reported is much, much lower than the number of cases in actuality. They determined that this was the case all across the country by data collection and antibody surveys in various regions. They settled on an estimate of actual cases being 10 times higher than reported cases but the number varies from place to place. One survey in Missouri indicated the number of actual cases, people with antibodies to the Covid-19 virus, was 24 times the number of reported cases in that region.

If we use the CDC’s estimate of 10 that means we may have 10 times the number of reported cases (71,540), which would put us at 715,400 cases in Tennessee. That means we should be in the range of the herd immunity threshold for our state. It probably doesn’t help that we don’t have a wall or even a fence around our state so we have a lot of people coming and going but still the susceptible native population numbers should be declining.

I think another way, and maybe the CDC is doing this, of projecting the actual number of cases is by using the IFR, infection fatality rate. The case fatality rate (CFR), number of deaths/number of REPORTED cases, doesn’t really tell a whole lot. The IFR is different for different age groups and it can vary a lot by region and a number of other variables, including the quality of post-infection medical care. The latest number I’ve seen is that the IFR nationwide is presently around 0.26% and may decline further. If we divide the current number of fatalities in our state by 0.0026 we can get a rough estimate of what the actual number of infections might be/have been. That would be 796/0.0026 = 306k.

Most immunizations (including vaccines) have a shelf life. Most are from a few years up to several years, I think 18 years in the case of the measles, 4-5 years I think is typical for a given strain of the seasonal flu virus. All my life I’ve been told to get a tetanus booster every 10 years. Anyway, the thing is I don’t know of any situation where the shelf life of an immunization is less than 4 years. jmo.

Admittedly, there is a glitch with this analysis. There are a number of things which can create a variance in the value of R0, population density, social distancing, wearing a face mask, sanitation, etc. These variables convert R0 to Re (R effective) so the HIT calculation above might be grossly understated. The initial widely accepted value for R0 for the Covid-19 virus was 2.5 so if we plug that into the HIT equation we get 1-1/2.5 or 60%. If we need 60% of the state to have immunity then that number would be 4.14m so we’d have a long ways to go. Almost everything I have read of late says the number is far lower than initially thought. The most optimistic numbers say, and again this varies by regions and other non-artificial variables, that HIT can be reached in some areas with less than 20% immunization. My own estimate, which may be grossly in error, for our state is we need to get to 16.67% or 1.15m actual cases to achieve HIT in Tennessee and if I am anywhere in the ball p;ark we should already be well over half-way there. I expect the daily reported numbers to be dropping rapidly by the time we reach August 1st. jmo.

Emerson and Garland. It worked for us last year. Kinda like Gooden wasn't even there.
We''ve got a few big fellas that can step up. Savion Williams was serviceable last year. Gives Mincey, Middleton, Harris or Bumphus a chance to step up. Omari Thomas isn't even on the list below and he would be the second highest rated in the group.
1594991186410.png
But the one i really want to see take off-

1594991735758.png

We''ve got a few big fellas that can step up. Savion Williams was serviceable last year. Gives Mincey, Middleton, Harris or Bumphus a chance to step up. Omari Thomas isn't even on the list below and he would be the second highest rated in the group.
View attachment 293789
But the one i really want to see take off-View attachment 293793
Savion Williams didn’t have much of a season and Kingston Harris took practice reps at OG. Basically every other scholarship athlete “stepped up” on the DL. Middleton and Solomon were mainstays and Butler was our highest graded DL. We’re missing nothing from this group THIS season. Lot are gone next year tho.

So I helped my 9yo on his 3rd grade math testing after Covid hit and schools closed. This is for his placement in 4th.
I’m no mathalete by any stretch, but did go all the way to trig, calculus, etc in college.
I truly struggled to help him with many questions and the format his test was presented in!! It was a complete joke.
My Grandad didn't go past 3rd grade, but he built the house I grew up in and quite a few others. Thinking back it blows my mind because there was no blueprint, just decades of knowledge learned the hard way. Plumb lines, carpenter's square and triangle and then boom...house. I'm sure modern codes would find something wrong but my dad is still living in the house and it's survived a flood and a tornado that took out other houses in the neighborhood.

In trying to find the R0 for our state I finally stumbled onto the University’s dashboard for tracking the Virus. I’m impressed. I’m mean I really impressed. University of Tennessee. Go figure. Way to go guys.

View attachment 293787

ArcGIS Dashboards

Anyway, the mean value for R0 in Tennessee right now is 1.1 so plugging that number into the formula we get 1-1/1.1 = 0.091 which means to hit the herd immunity threshold in our state we need 9.1% of the population to be immune. Our population is around 6.9 million so that implies we need around 627k people to be immunized to reach herd immunity.

As per a previous post, we know from the CDC that the number of cases reported is much, much lower than the number of cases in actuality. They determined that this was the case all across the country by data collection and antibody surveys in various regions. They settled on an estimate of actual cases being 10 times higher than reported cases but the number varies from place to place. One survey in Missouri indicated the number of actual cases, people with antibodies to the Covid-19 virus, was 24 times the number of reported cases in that region.

If we use the CDC’s estimate of 10 that means we may have 10 times the number of reported cases (71,540), which would put us at 715,400 cases in Tennessee. That means we should be in the range of the herd immunity threshold for our state. It probably doesn’t help that we don’t have a wall or even a fence around our state so we have a lot of people coming and going but still the susceptible native population numbers should be declining.

I think another way, and maybe the CDC is doing this, of projecting the actual number of cases is by using the IFR, infection fatality rate. The case fatality rate (CFR), number of deaths/number of REPORTED cases, doesn’t really tell a whole lot. The IFR is different for different age groups and it can vary a lot by region and a number of other variables, including the quality of post-infection medical care. The latest number I’ve seen is that the IFR nationwide is presently around 0.26% and may decline further. If we divide the current number of fatalities in our state by 0.0026 we can get a rough estimate of what the actual number of infections might be/have been. That would be 796/0.0026 = 306k.

Most immunizations (including vaccines) have a shelf life. Most are from a few years up to several years, I think 18 years in the case of the measles, 4-5 years I think is typical for a given strain of the seasonal flu virus. All my life I’ve been told to get a tetanus booster every 10 years. Anyway, the thing is I don’t know of any situation where the shelf life of an immunization is less than 4 years. jmo.

Admittedly, there is a glitch with this analysis. There are a number of things which can create a variance in the value of R0, population density, social distancing, wearing a face mask, sanitation, etc. These variables convert R0 to Re (R effective) so the HIT calculation above might be grossly understated. The initial widely accepted value for R0 for the Covid-19 virus was 2.5 so if we plug that into the HIT equation we get 1-1/2.5 or 60%. If we need 60% of the state to have immunity then that number would be 4.14m so we’d have a long ways to go. Almost everything I have read of late says the number is far lower than initially thought. The most optimistic numbers say, and again this varies by regions and other non-artificial variables, that HIT can be reached in some areas with less than 20% immunization. My own estimate, which may be grossly in error, for our state is we need to get to 16.67% or 1.15m actual cases to achieve HIT in Tennessee and if I am anywhere in the ball p;ark we should already be well over half-way there. I expect the daily reported numbers to be dropping rapidly by the time we reach August 1st. jmo.
Tldr= we needs foosball

I agree with most of your post except on Savion. He’s been a non-factor. Coming from JUCO, ideally he would’ve been able to get quality snaps in light of the Gooden injury last year. But he barely saw the field.

Not saying he can’t turn it around, but of our DL guys, he’s the one I have the least confidence in. By far.

I’ve never heard of anyone being completely incapable of breathing on their own with the flu lol. I’m just glad he seems to have beaten it finally

That can happen with any respiratory virus. Depends on a multitude of factors. Baseline health (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc.), hydration status, infected individuals immune response effectiveness against the particular virus...many factors.

Just saw the Gooden news. Smh. How stupid can you be? Just not smart on that young man's behalf. This is a big blow because of the depth of the Dline. Can't really say you're losing a very talented lineman because you don't know how he was going to play after being out for a year with that injury.
As someone mentioned, it's not an intelligence issue. It's a being an evil person issue.

View attachment 293787

ArcGIS Dashboards

This might be one of the most encouraging posts I have read on this anywhere. I truly hope you are accurate. I promise not to hold you to it or get mad if you aren't right. With so many variables and contributing factors combined with some heinously poor reporting practices that are apparently still going on elsewhere, any estimates should have a high relative error. Still, fantastic work and very reasonable approach and arguments.

Finally a cancel culture I can get behind. END STANDARDIZED TESTING FOR ALL

Why? Curious, not oppositional.

Prior to the hospital years of med school, tests beat me up mentally. Once I helped resuscitate someone from death, all tests lost their anxiety inducing hold on me. I went from mid-level test scores to top ranks. They are definitely helpful in my profession. Mainly as a self-assessment tool... allows you to compare your knowledge level and base with your peers.
My last specialty board renewal test was taken and passed without any test preparation... there were two dates that I could take it. I signed up for the first date, but wrote down the 2nd. (8 months separated them.) The week before the test, I received a reminder email; now really too late to study. Passed, so I feel good about my routine study that’s keeping me current in my specialty.

I agree with most of your post except on Savion. He’s been a non-factor. Coming from JUCO, ideally he would’ve been able to get quality snaps in light of the Gooden injury last year. But he barely saw the field.

Not saying he can’t turn it around, but of our DL guys, he’s the one I have the least confidence in. By far.
He didn't get a lot of snaps last year, and only played meaningful snaps in 2 games. Still had 4 solo tackles though. Emerson and Solomon played all year and only finished with 10 solo tackles each. I think he was one that was affected by Bituli being out and not having someone on the field to get the right defensive alignment during GA State and BYU. I don't think he'll be an all-star but he can be a valuable sub for the starters.

Last edited:
This is not a SNAFU, its just plain stupid, disrespect, and a crime. The true you will always come out when things go wrong. Good or bad.

Actually, by Snafu definition it is.
Young aggressive male makes stupid decision and subsequent action that can majorly affect his life and those around him. Situation Normal, All F’ed Up (S.N.A.F.U.) for young aggressive males.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back