Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but he did make the choice to attack a man with a gun when there were other options. Had he run around them and attempted to keep going this might be different. Had the shooters not brandished weapons and instead just followed things would have been different. Stupid decisions all around but the shooter certainly bears the vast majority of responsibility here hands down. Which is why I believe he'll be charged with manslaughter and rightfully so.

Felony murder is a crime in Georgia. They may not have intended to kill him, but they assaulted him with a deadly weapon, a felony. During the course of committing that felony, they killed the victim. They also committed old fashioned murder, but if we are playing prosecutor here, felony murder is a no brainer.

most universities are planning on opening back up this fall as of today... There has been confirmation of many already in the SEC. Football will be played and start on time. I think there will be some changes/adjustments (maybe mandated shortened quarters due to lack of prep and conditioning to teams), could be even abbreviated to conference play, which would stink, and there will probably be some limitations/rules on fan numbers... heck, they may even try to start it with no fans... but it will happen. The economy will be rolling by the end of June, and there is simply too much money to be made on Pro and College football. Football will be played.

So the reason you think this wouldn’t win a murder case is because their “intent” was to just detain and question (kidnap) rather than to kill? Pretty evident they intended to do some kind of harm.
I can't make you understand the law. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm also not ignorant. Murder carries a higher standard of proof that I do not see being proved in this case. Manslaughter looks like it can be easily proven. Either you want these guys to receive some kind of punishment or you don't. In no way am I defending what they did or trying to justify their actions, but in order to get punished, they need to be charged properly. You either see that or you don't.

People need to stop being cowards and open this thing back up so we can develop herd immunity. We may not develop a vaccine for years. We can't stay locked inside and live in fear of a virus that has a survival rate over over 99%

Never seen so many people freak out over bacteria, viruses and such. They do not understand that most are necessary for our survival. Our digestive systems alone will not work without the right kinds of bacteria. Otherwise healthy immune systems depress when living in super cleaned environments, which backfires when exposed to normal living conditions. They do not realize some types of viruses attack other diseases.

I'm not discounting the extra care needed for at risk groups - elderly, preexisting conditions, nursing homes, military, prisons and such. But you don't quarantine healthy people and an entire economy - you quarantine the at risk until the threat substantially passes. I will pass on vaccines from this bunch of medical "experts" and Big Pharm for now. If I catch it, give me hydroxy/z-pac/zinc. I take z-pacs for sinus infections anyway.

Felony murder is a crime in Georgia. They may not have intended to kill him, but they assaulted him with a deadly weapon, a felony. During the course of committing that felony, they killed the victim. They also committed old fashioned murder, but if we are playing prosecutor here, felony murder is a no brainer.
Correct if you are committing a felony and someone gets killed because of it, you can be charged with murder. not to mention there are a few other potential charges of kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon. In many states simply drawing a gun on a person that is not an immediate threat of serious bodily harm to you is considered assault. Since they were in vehicles and could have driven away, there could have been no immediate threat. Not to mention the fact that you can only do a citizen's arrest if you catch someone in the act of committing a felony or had firsthand knowledge that that person had done it, which they had not.

i get what youre saying and I’m admittedly ignorant on a lot of laws but They do not have the right to detain and question anybody. Tho. That in itself is false imprisonment maybe even kidnapping. Right?
So what is the difference in this and someone attempting to kidnap a woman/man and the victim ends up getting killed in while defending themselves?
Missed this post. Because things happened so quickly, I'm not sure you can get a false imprisonment charge, but maybe. I'm sure the DA could present other charges, like menacing, but I'm not sure of the prudence simply because I don't know if they would stack with a manslaughter charge. Manslaughter would carry the most weight.

Never seen so many people freak out over bacteria, viruses and such. They do not understand that most are necessary for our survival. Our digestive systems alone will not work without the right kinds of bacteria. Otherwise healthy immune systems depress when living in super cleaned environments, which backfires when exposed to normal living conditions. They do not realize some types of viruses attack other diseases.

I'm not discounting the extra care needed for at risk groups - elderly, preexisting conditions, nursing homes, military, prisons and such. But you don't quarantine healthy people and an entire economy - you quarantine the at risk until the threat substantially passes. I will pass on vaccines from this bunch of medical "experts" and Big Pharm for now. If I catch it, give me hydroxy/z-pac/zinc. I take z-pacs for sinus infections anyway.

Totally agree, basically said the same thing yesterday. The healthy need to be out boosting immune systems, not crippling the economy by staying home and pickling our livers... Don't even get me started on the media-- their shock and awe scare tactics to kill the economy faster than the virus (which we all know was sent over from China to ruin our economy since we started ruining theres finally with tariffs) in an election year so that they can get someone else in office.

okay no more politics from me... let's get a commit today.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
i get what youre saying and I’m admittedly ignorant on a lot of laws but They do not have the right to detain and question anybody. Tho. That in itself is false imprisonment maybe even kidnapping. Right?
So what is the difference in this and someone attempting to kidnap a woman/man and the victim ends up getting killed in while defending themselves?
That would be manslaughter too. Intent to harm and intent to murder are different unless a specific piece of evidence shows they were set on killing him. I think maybe an attempted kidnapping can be added. I agree with you on that. The deceased fighting and then getting shot is what makes it near impossible to convict on a murder charge. Manslaughter fits best.

So the reason you think this wouldn’t win a murder case is because their “intent” was to just detain and question (kidnap) rather than to kill? Pretty evident they intended to do some kind of harm.
Yes and no. If he raised his hands and did what they asked, would he have been harmed? I'd hope not. Do these asshats have the right to detain him? Hell no. Also intent to harm isn't the same as intent to kill. They would get an acquittal with a murder charge like Zimmerman.

Beyond reasonable doubt is the term that is key here. Did they unlawfully kill the young man? Yes. Beyond all reasonable doubt. Did they intend to? maybe. But maybe isnt good enough.

I’ll always counter this by saying that Knoxville is a day’s drive from 2/3 of the population of the country. It’s also a day’s found trip drive to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville. If location was a problem, why did Clemson blow up? They did it by taking ahold of the recruiting footprint that UT had a generation ago and recruiting East TN and GA kids.

Speaking of... Dabo is a dweeb and I am looking forward to the day that we can schedule Clemson and kick their teeth in.
UGA is better because of geography. You make a valid point about Clemson, but they are still half the drive for most of Atlanta. My brother used to live in a NE suburb of Atlanta, and Clemson was an hour and a half. Just far enough to be away but just close enough to be home. Clemson is also closer to most of the talent in NC.

But overall, yes, with the right coach and staff, UT can be a high level program.

I live in Greenville and tbh Clemson is in a great spot. 2 hours max to ATL, 2 hours to Charlotte, 4.5 hrs from middle of NC, 2 hours to middle of SC. Not saying UT isn’t but Clemson is geographically very well positioned for recruiting.

Reactions: RiotVol
The problem with that is the man tried to wrestle the gun away from the son. That's when shots were fired. It wasn't an outright assault with a deadly weapon. If the victim had never engaged and was shot, you easily have murder. Because he did engage, you have manslaughter. It wasn't a felony to ask the guy to stop and talk(which is what they claim they were doing) even if they were armed. And I understand the deceased felt threatened, but unfortunately, he made an unwise decision to engage. I can't say I would have responded differently.

Reactions: RikidyBones
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back