Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I'm in a fairly small group. Several members of my family decided (years and years ago) to adopt instead of having more children, with so many in need of a good home. Also made the conscious decision to adopt minority because minorities had a harder time being adopted back then. (may still do🤷‍♂️)
As my nephews and cousins grew and married, so did the diversity ratio in our family.

Has been a great experience, forcing even older, different generation members to confront stereotypes they didn't realize they had. Oh, and vice versa. No one in our family feels an ethnicity is against them.
The general consensus in our group: the truth is in the middle. Discrimination certainly still exists and others naturally sensationalize.

Also agree strongly with @butchna you can do things to assist the process but the set in their ways, old guard, will play the ultimate role.
The main thing we can do is attempt to "unteach" the newer generation that has had the wrong influence.

So mathematics. If minorities are way more successful on the field (70%) that would leave a much stronger percentage of non minorities in the coaching field.
Leaving room for some discrimination but also some pure numbers.

That the basic concept?

A lot of head coaches start out as grad assistants/position coaches and work their way up. Guys who know and love the game but don't have the ability can get a jump start on this career path, while those who can play, do. So, yes. If there are more minorities that are able to play the game, then that would leave more non-minorities in coaching in general, and the non-minorities would often have more coaching experience at any given age. So, the that would equate to more qualified non-minorities.

He ran practice with the 1s right up until his first "denied" I thought...

I don't know that he'll start, but he's been with the team all Fall and the early assumption was he'd be eligible so he should be in game shape and ready to go I'd think.
I think hes in game shape. Hasnt been with the ones since the season started. That's why I think he will be fine by next week.

Guess I'm in a fairly small group. Several members of my family decided (years and years ago) to adopt instead of having more children, with so many in need of a good home. Also made the conscious decision to adopt minority because minorities had a harder time being adopted back then. (may still do🤷‍♂️)
As my nephews and cousins grew and married, so did the diversity ratio in our family.

Has been a great experience, forcing even older, different generation members to confront stereotypes they didn't realize they had. Oh, and vice versa. No one in our family feels an ethnicity is against them.
The general consensus in our group: the truth is in the middle. Discrimination certainly still exists and others naturally sensationalize.

Also agree strongly with @butchna you can do things to assist the process but the set in their ways, old guard, will play the ultimate role.
The main thing we can do is attempt to "unteach" the newer generation that has had the wrong influence.
agreed. great point.

i'm white guy that grew up in MS. and there's things i grew up with, that i still find, at times, hard to shake....

but like you, i'm an adult and i know what's right, and what's wrong, and have made a conscious effort to not raise my kids based on my experiences and bad habits. My family is not really an issue and i wasn't raised in a home that "taught" me one way or the other, though my grandparents were from a different era in the deep south, and that was reflected in their mindset and general attitude. i'd wager, i'm not alone in that category...lol. moreso it was friends, and general community at large, and as you become a teenager, then young adult in that environment/community, you find yourself exposed to certain ways of thinking....and for some that becomes part of who you are, how you are..... maybe i'm lucky because i left, and just "grew out of it"? dunno. i just know that me and my wife ultimately made a choice.

and that's what it has to start with....it can't or won't right all the wrongs, but if things are gonna change...then things have to change right?

agreed. great point.

i'm white guy that grew up in MS. and there's things i grew up with, that i still find, at times, hard to shake....

but like you, i'm an adult and i know what's right, and what's wrong, and have made a conscious effort to not raise my kids based on my experiences and bad habits. My family is not really an issue and i wasn't raised in a home that "taught" me one way or the other, though my grandparents were from a different era in the deep south, and that was reflected in their mindset and general attitude. i'd wager, i'm not alone in that category...lol. moreso it was friends, and general community at large, and as you become a teenager, then young adult in that environment/community, you find yourself exposed to certain ways of thinking....and for some that becomes part of who you are, how you are..... maybe i'm lucky because i left, and just "grew out of it"? dunno. i just know that me and my wife ultimately made a choice.

and that's what it has to start with....it can't or won't right all the wrongs, but if things are gonna change...then things have to change right?

The honesty in this post needs to be applauded.

Your family’s Batman!

The way you phrase that is that you’re assuming the owners are not hiring based solely on race.

It’s more likely the owners have their eye on a specific candidate but would be penalized if they made that hire with because the NFL mandates you must interview someone based on skin color.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of minority assistants. I don’t follow the nfl like I used to but IIRC they started a program where they specifically targeted getting minorities involved in coaching as assistants so they could work their way up. Is that still a thing?

It's going to take a few more years for their to be a large enough talent pool of minority assistant coaches moving into HC roles. Most coaches cut their teeth at college programs and there are more AA assistants every year.

In 10 years the numbers will be much more balanced. The comparison of minorit players to coaches is ridiculous. Just because the league is 70% AA players has no bearing on coaching diversity.

Most coaches are former players with high football IQ who didn't have the athletic ability to play in the NFL so went into coaching or had their careers ended early and got into it. It's not the NFLs fault that until recently there haven't been as high of a percentage pursuing coaching careers.

Your family’s Batman!

Well I do have a hard time turning my neck 90°!

But it's made for some really cool experiences. Several of us worked on ideas for how the civil war could have been avoided but the reletive long term results met. T'was difficult but really interesting and of course, speculative.

Well I do have a hard time turning my neck 90°!

But it's made for some really cool experiences. Several of us worked on ideas for how the civil war could have been avoided but the reletive long term results met. T'was difficult but really interesting and of course, speculative.
...of course...lol.

Reactions: chargervol
The honesty in this post needs to be applauded.
thanks. not trying to do anyting here, but expalin myself....

bottom line, the rooney rule, and most things regarding race relations, are "BIG" topics, with a lot of stakeholders and can have vastly different motivations/interests.

we just boiled it down to what we can control....and i'd imagine if most folks did the same with most things (not just this particular topic) , we'd maybe make a lot more progress as individuals, families, communities, employees, and as a country....easier said than done.

ok, not trying to derail the thread. carry on. thanks charger for sharing your experiences....good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back