Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, to go by your previous comment about coaches...you could say the same about Mac Brown. So I guess your complementing Stoops? Not that I have a bromance with any coach but given the circumstances I don't see how we need to be picky about a proven coach like Stoops.

His teams are very Jekyll and Hyde. World beaters one minute and then they'll lose to Iowa State or somebody. You see how Bama and LSU don't play around with garbage teams. Those are my standards. I'm sorry but I don't want any garbage losses. I would be pissed losing to an Ole Miss or Miss. State squad as Tennessee.

Well gents, The hurricane is going to blow out our power sometime in the next 12 hours most likely... some speculate for up to 10 days, so maybe it is for the best that I miss the firing and heartless gloating of some... mostly not in this forum. So, this will be my only chance to do this most likely before it is very old news.

1. Hats off to Dooley. :hi: He has represented the University with class and has built a solid roster, stopped attrition, reduced off-field disciplinary problems, created the VFL program which appeals to parents and family oriented recruits and avoided any additional NCAA scrutiny that we were under. For these reasons, he should have our thanks and respect, regardless of what the end results were.

2. Back against the wall: The things he has had to battle, such as; staff turnover, injuries, players getting kicked off the team, NCAA investigation, strength of schedule, pretty much gave him a hand that he could do nothing with.

3. Small margin for error: We all knew the roster problems his first year, and the injuries that were sustained his second year were impossible to overcome. This was truly the first year that he had to prove his merit as a coach. Although there are still some depth issues, and some key injuries, the simple fact is that this team absolutely did have the talent to be able to beat some teams that we lost to, the only time we could accurately say that outside of the KY game last year. The sad truth is, he probably deserved another year, with only one year being a fair sample size so far. The sadder truth, is that we had no reason to believe it was going to get better, and a change is most likely the best move. I changed my avatar to the classic "I want to believe" poster from the x-files, with Dooley's head in place of the UFO. I wanted to believe... I tried... but in the end, we really can't anymore.

4. Sunseri/defense ended it: I posted earlier in this thread, that SEC defenses are averaging 21 points yielded this year. Last year, we averaged 22 points yielded. A middle of the road SEC defense of 21 points a game has us sitting at 6-2, with our only losses to FL and AL. Whether it is Sunseri or 3-4 adjustments, if we have just an average defense, Dooley is feeling pretty good right now and has an extension. Whether or not the current scenario of him leaving is a blessing or a curse, nobody knows yet.

5. Staff Turnover: I love this board for it's consistent inconsistency. As Dooley goes, most likely the entire staff goes... with the exception of maybe one. As terribly coached as people like to say we are (and I can hardly disagree), you can find scattered throughout the board, "Get rid of the whole staff except...(fill in the blank of every staff member") It's kinda funny. Personally, I think Graham, Pittman, Hinshaw, Chaney, and Palermo have earned their coin. It's a pipe dream to think that any coach would keep the lot of them though.

Good luck to Coach Dooley. He deserves every penny of his buyout. The fans give him hell and he has given his all for Tennessee. I think the second batman movie had the quote, "die a hero, or live long enough to be the villain." Every coach that does not die while coaching pretty much becomes the villain eventually.

I hope he proves us all wrong and is successful... outside of the SEC that is.

Great post. Thanks
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't think you are getting what I am saying and regardless of how the scheduling falls...you don't see Bama, FL, or GA going 0-5...you have google right?

We have lost to the number 1, 6, 7, 8, 15 teams in the country while those same teams play Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri, Auburn and Arkansas. That stat is skewed and is not an indication of anything given the context of the actual schedule. 3-4 of those games we had a GREAT chance to win.

Who we have played:
Alabama - Ark, Ole Miss, Missouri
Georgia - Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kentucky
Florida - Kentucky, Vanderbilt
South Carolina - Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri
Miss St. - Auburn, Kentucky

Who we haven't played:
LSU - Auburn
aTm - Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas
Vandy - Auburn, Missouri

Switch schedules with ANY of them and we do NOT start 0-5. Talk all this **** about using Google yet you cant use it yourself. The stat is skewed and doesn't mean anything. You need to understand context. We have not lost to an unranked team. This team is not Vandy or Kentucky.

Reactions: 4 people
We have lost to the number 1, 6, 7, 8, 15 teams in the country while those same teams play Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri, Auburn and Arkansas. That stat is skewed and is not an indication of anything given the context of the actual schedule. 3-4 of those games we had a GREAT chance to win.

Who we have played:

Who we haven't played:
LSU - Auburn
Vandy - Auburn, Missouri

Switch schedules with ANY of them and we do NOT start 0-5. Talk all this **** about using Google yet you cant use it yourself. The stat is skewed and doesn't mean anything. You need to understand context. We have not lost to an unranked team. This team is not Vandy or Kentucky.

Vandy plays ranked teams? So does KY? SEC east teams play each other and 2 west?

Seriously are you going to keep riding that train that we lost to "ranked teams". Unbelievable and that argument perpetuates our lost status of football relevance. I guess Bama plays cupcakes? Facts are TN has gone 0-5 in the SEC I believe 3 seasons in a row. Oh, and almost winning doesn't count as a win. I'm sure Vandy would love to count almost wins...

Last edited:
Well, interesting development. Curious what we will learn. If Dooley's fired, then I will officially become a believer that Hart thinks he can land someone big. Curious who it will be.

Who we have played:

Who we haven't played:
LSU - Auburn
Vandy - Auburn, Missouri

0-5 3 in a row.

Thanks for the info Skeeter. I agree with most in that Dooley has done a great job with turning this program in the right direction. I really like Dooley however the wins haven't come when they were there for the taking and essentially that's what matters in this league.
I will support Hart and his decision but I hope that if he does let Dooley go that he replaces him with a proven guy. Nothing you all haven't heard before but its just my thoughts.
Go Vols

Thanks for the info Skeeter. I agree with most in that Dooley has done a great job with turning this program in the right direction. I really like Dooley however the wins haven't come when they were there for the taking and essentially that's what matters in this league.
I will support Hart and his decision but I hope that if he does let Dooley go that he replaces him with a proven guy. Nothing you all haven't heard before but its just my thoughts.
Go Vols

Agree 100%

Vandy plays ranked teams? So does KY? SEC east teams play each other and 2 west?

Seriously are you going to keep riding that train that we lost to "ranked teams". Unbelievable and that argument perpetuates our lost status of football relevance. I guess Bama plays cupcakes? Facts are TN has gone 0-5 in the SEC I believe 3 seasons in a row. Oh, and almost winning doesn't count as a win. I'm sure Vandy would love to count almost wins...
I bet you take stats on political commercials and run with them. You clearly can't understand the context and accurately identify WHY THE STAT IS SKEWED. Not incorrect just skewed. When you compare it to others, it becomes apples and oranges. Hence my comment of it being skewed. I'm sorry you can't understand basic statistical analysis.

I'm also not saying no one plays the teams we do. We are talking about the mere difference of 0-5 and 1-4. One win. Give us Vandy or Kentucky in the first half of the season and you don't have that number to complain about out of context. I don't like being 0-5 as much as the next guy but I'm also not stupid enough to compare us to Kentucky or Vandy. Get a damn clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I bet you take stats on political commercials and run with them. You clearly can't understand the context and accurately identify WHY THE STAT IS SKEWED. Not incorrect just skewed. When you compare it to others, it becomes apples and oranges. Hence my comment of it being skewed. I'm sorry you can't understand basic statistical analysis.

I'm also not saying no one plays the teams we do. We are talking about the mere difference of 0-5 and 1-4. One win. Give us Vandy or Kentucky in the first half of the season and you don't have that number to complain about out of context. I don't like being 0-5 as much as the next guy but I'm also not stupid enough to compare us to Kentucky or Vandy. Get a damn clue.

Let it go baby ... Do some deep breathing bc I ain't buyin this bologna. We could invert the whole UT schedule and at best we still have 3 maybe 4 SEC wins but that is coming off two consecutive years with UT going 0-5.

Look..you just need to stop it bc there are other SEC teams out there like Bama (NCAA Infractions, 3 coaching changes) and UGA that have went through just as bad or worse scenarios as UT and you don't see them on the 0-5 list. Please dude let it go if you don't get it. :mf_surrender:

Let it go baby ... Do some deep breathing bc I ain't buyin this bologna. We could invert the whole UT schedule and at best we still have 3 maybe 4 SEC wins but that is coming off two consecutive years with UT going 0-5.

Look..you just need to stop it bc there are other SEC teams out there like Bama (NCAA Infractions, 3 coaching changes) and UGA that have went through just as bad or worse scenarios as UT and you don't see them on the 0-5 list. Please dude let it go if you don't get it. :mf_surrender:

Pretty sure you just validated his point with your first paragraph here.

Reactions: 6 people
Pretty sure you just validated his point with your first paragraph here.

If that was his whole point the it isn't much of one. We are still a team that beats only Vandy and Kentucky. We play them and then lose the remaining SEC games..not much difference than going 0-5... I found it laughable that he would even consider counting "near" wins...

Is that Coach Franklin using that sign on?

No, I get it. You are just too dense to look at the complete picture. Come at me after the season then we can better compare the records. It's pointless to argue with your sophomoric thought process.

Edit: thanks for proving my point. First paragraph.

If that was his whole point the it isn't much of one. We are still a team that beats only Vandy and Kentucky. We play them and then lose the remaining SEC games..not much difference than going 0-5... I found it laughable that he would even consider counting "near" wins...

Counted them? HA. No. You placed Tennessee with Vandy and Kentucky because of a stat but didn't consider the make up of your own little 0-5 record.

Reactions: 1 person

You and the rest of our fan base buy into this whole mantra of a loss is a loss. Everything is relative.

It is ironic that a lose is a lose, no context needed, but a win is not a win. Vandy, UK, whoever else don't count. I love the hypocrisy in our fanbase. If your going to criticize, at least be consistent.

You and the rest of our fan base buy into this whole mantra of a loss is a loss. Everything is relative.

It is ironic that a lose is a lose, no context needed, but a win is not a win. Vandy, UK, whoever else don't count. I love the hypocrisy in our fanbase. If your going to criticize, at least be consistent.
NC State doesn't count bro. We won that game so it wasn't a good win. /sarcasm

That is what I was thinking.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Okay, so lets say this fella is right and that the stat is skewed. Call my insight as being in a bad mood for going 0-5 3 years in a row. For now, I say my apologies and move on...but...

I don't see how inverting the schedule, going 2-5, justifying losses bc we played ranked teams, and then saying that we had "near" wins makes the 0-5 stat (regardless of however skewed he wants to make it) any less relevant or not as bad.

In fact, the way he explains it makes the stat even more real bc we still lose 5 in a row if we play KY and Vandy in the first two games. Tomatoe...Toe mato.

All I did was point out that we are now in the same company as the perennial door mats of the SEC - KY and Vandy and after 3 seasons of going 0-5 you have a hard time to justify any reason for keeping Dooley, even though I like the guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back